Stop / Start not working

Booti

Reaction score
Hi
New to the forums and been having a read through some posts, but can’t just find anything that relates to my issue on the search.
I’ve recently purchased a 2013 1.8 Quattro with DSG. First time with an auto and loving the change of driving style.
The only issue I have found is the stop / start doesnt work. I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I used it all the time when I used to have a company diesel 8P. I’d at least like to get it working so I can turn it off if not required.

When I pull up now and hold on the brake, after about a second the stop / start failure symbol comes up on the dash and at the bottom next to the gear indicator.

The battery has been replaced, charged and coded to the car. All the fault codes checked and cleared. Confirmed the last owner hasn’t tried to disable it in the codes as well.
We are happy the cabin is to temp, the outside isn’t too cold (above the freezing mark and sometimes as high as 10 degrees), aircon is off and some other criteria mentioned in the manual.

Could anyone suggest anything else I can check please?

TIA

If you found out how it was broke, please let me know so I can break mine :)

Reactions: Gazwould, NHN, 123Quattro and 1 other person
odb11 and you can kill the s/s... plus then you can turn on what we all need and is a crucial part of the car, the needle sweep

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Goner and N.J.H
odb11 and you can kill the s/s... plus then you can turn on what we all need and is a crucial part of the car, the needle sweep

Its not that simple, I am a Vagcom user also.

Its not that simple, I am a Vagcom user also.
note sure if we're on the same page, obd11 has an option to switch off start / stop system permanently, i know because i did it on my car to avoid having to shut it off manually using the button... but it was working like a charm if i wanted to use it

note sure if we're on the same page, obd11 has an option to switch off start / stop system permanently, i know because i did it on my car to avoid having to shut it off manually using the button... but it was working like a charm if i wanted to use it

I believe you get warnings on the dash about it everytime you stop using that method.

You say this is your first auto but you previously liked using start/stop.......well IMO you have the perfect situation if it is not working. The reason being how it operates with an auto is truly the work of Satan! :rage:
I hate it with a passion and turn it off everytime I start my car.
This is my first auto too and i liked start/stop on previous manual cars.

Reactions: Goner, Jimbob76, Flying Scotsman and 1 other person
Worth getting the battery checked out. Was the first sign on my Q3 that the battery had a dodgy cell. New battery and start stop was working again

When you say needle sweep, you mean where the Rev and Speedo needle go all the way round and back when the ignition is turned on?
If so, mine does that now, so has a previous owner been playing with settings?

I believe you get warnings on the dash about it everytime you stop using that method.

I am getting an A symbol with a line through it each time the car stop. Does this suggest it’s been disabled?

Worth getting the battery checked out. Was the first sign on my Q3 that the battery had a dodgy cell. New battery and start stop was working again

Thanks, as stated the battery has been replaced and coded to the car.

There are various sensors that detect the operating conditions are correct for the start stop to engage, one being on the brake pedal. But without any fault codes the only method available to diagnose an issue would be to replace components one at a time.

It is possible that the previous owner used VCDS to change one of the setting used by Start/Stop to stop it ever activating. I did this on my previous A3. You will need to get someone with VCDS to check the figures.
on my A3 I changed the value as follows:
1. Module 19 (Can Gateway)
2. Adaption (10)
3. Go to channel: Start_stop_voltage_limit
4. Change value to 12.1V ( default is 7.6V)

A dealer may be willing to check this for you.

Thanks everyone
I managed to get hold of the Carista app as I wanted to turn on the parking sensor MMI display and tweak other settings like dip mirrors on reversing. Checking the settings and found stop / start had been disabled in there (Method B, whatever that means)

Tested and confirmed working now, so I know everything on the car is working as it should.
I can always turn it back off if I don’t like it.

Reactions: cuke2u
Thanks everyone
I managed to get hold of the Carista app as I wanted to turn on the parking sensor MMI display and tweak other settings like dip mirrors on reversing. Checking the settings and found stop / start had been disabled in there (Method B, whatever that means)

Tested and confirmed working now, so I know everything on the car is working as it should.
I can always turn it back off if I don’t like it.

Glad you found it. So the previous owner told porkies :)

So with this method being employed, did you get s DIS message every time you came to a stop saying SS was deactivated?

When you say needle sweep, you mean where the Rev and Speedo needle go all the way round and back when the ignition is turned on?
If so, mine does that now, so has a previous owner been playing with settings?

]

yes, i think this is normal on the s or rs versions. Mine is just a poor mans 2.0 tdi which didn't come with this out of the factory.

regarding the s/s, i get the little crossed a simbol when stagnant, thats all.

Last edited:
Glad you found it. So the previous owner told porkies :)

So with this method being employed, did you get s DIS message every time you came to a stop saying SS was deactivated?

No porkies been told. The previous owner traded the car in and I bought from a garage. They wouldn’t have known settings had been changed. Obviously (now), some other settings have been adjusted as well.
Yes, with this method when you come to a stop, in the main part of the DIS you get the A symbol with a line through it.

No porkies been told. The previous owner traded the car in and I bought from a garage. They wouldn’t have known settings had been changed. Obviously (now), some other settings have been adjusted as well.
Yes, with this method when you come to a stop, in the main part of the DIS you get the A symbol with a line through it.

How many owners on the car? Cant imagine the previous owner had been driving around without knowing the SS is broken?

Yep I thought that was the case the error, it would probably do my nut in! I think @DJAlix has a better solution, but does cost a few quid.

Sorry, I meant the garage wouldn’t have known the settings had been changed. When I raised it during purchase, they suggested a possible faulty battery and adjusted the price. Turns out it was faulty as well.

It was annoying me, more because I wanted to know nothing was wrong with the car. Now I know it was just turned off, I can turn it off if i d9nt like the SS.

How many owners on the car? Cant imagine the previous owner had been driving around without knowing the SS is broken?

Yep I thought that was the case the error, it would probably do my nut in! I think @DJAlix has a better solution, but does cost a few quid.

Having the SS switched off does not mean it's broken, it just mean the driver, like me, does not like it. I switched it off using VCDS on my last two A3's and I have done the same on my current Q3

Having the SS switched off does not mean it's broken, it just mean the driver, like me, does not like it. I switched it off using VCDS on my last two A3's and I have done the same on my current Q3

Obviously.

I just dont like seeing the DIS message hence looking for a better solution.