Stop/start issues

dieseldoug

Reaction score
My wife uses stop start every day, but she has had some issues lately with it not working but I have told her there are so many variables that it will not stop. But yesterday when I was in the car it worked perfectly at every stop until the last one wher the car would not restart. We had to start the car manually then we shut the system down. Contacted the dealer which will look at this on the 5th November
Has anyone else experienced this issue not starting after stopping.
Doug.

What was the temperature set in the car? Was the air con on? To give the car a good test and no user error. Switch off the client control completely and driven the car as normal. If the stop/start fails to engage then it's a deal issue to look at.

Car was at operaing temperature and working fine, we stopped at a round about the car stopped and started as normal, 30 meters after the roundabout we stopped at light crossing car stopped again and never restarted without us intervening and starting the car, then turned the system off.

The temperatures would not prevent the car from restarting unless the engine had overheated, unlikely as the engine was off.

Yep, my wife's A3 1.4 TFSI has had an intermittent non-restart issue with the stop-start facility since we bought it from new, March '11.
Audi first claimed it was not a 'recognised' fault, then carried out remedial work under guarantee only for fault to return. The Audi dealership now claiming there is no fault!?! My vague observation is that it has something to do with cold engine and certain climatic conditions but I'm no expert...just want a car that works properly.
It is so frustrating dealing with these people...our battle continues!

BTW...a pressure sensor was replaced to no avail....would be really interested to hear how your dealership resolves the issue.

Last edited:
Curious to know what % of fuel economy is accounted for by start-stop? The more I read about it the more I think I will permanently disable, especially as fuel economy isn't a priority anyway.

Mine has worked great every time. I think they say 3% savings on average, but put it on the mpg display and watch you rmpg go down and down while sitting in traffic with the engine on... depends on the kind of journey you do.

From my experience of a start/stop system I have found that if you only perform short journeys then the battery will fall below the level needed for the start/stop to work. Also if the outside temps are too hot or cold and you have the CC set high or low will also prevent it for working. One of the tests they do is to stall the car then press the clutch to see if it restarts...