Stop Start issue

Nham68

Reaction score
has anyone experience of stop start just suddenly not happening any more ? Car (S4) is 3 weeks old. Initially stop-start worked fine . Then this week, even with long journeys, just won't happen (the symbol with line through it permanently on in the cockpit). All the conditions in the manual (page 98) about temperature, battery, etc are all fine . He disengage button is clearly off... For excample, on motorway for 40 mins, clear run, Turn off into town, hit traffic . Expect stop start to work - just doesn't engage. Any ideas ?

I notice mine doesn't disengage if in dynamic or if the gearbox is in manual or sport. I don't know if that helps? Also, if it's using a lot of power like the AC is running quite hard then it won't stop either.

When I first got the car I didn't sync the climate control all to the driver control and didn't realise the rear temp was set at LO and was running full blast and that caused the engine to keep running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish it could be turned off permanently.****** annoying stupid idea anyway.

Reactions: Riko0073, ScottishA4B9 and Kestrel
I had a similar issue on mine (see here) which turned out (as far as I know) to be a faulty oil pressure sensor. I was getting an error message on the DIS though as well. If you're not getting that, I suspect it may be one of the (surprisingly long) list of things that the manual says will stop the system working: see p.99 in the 2017 manual linked to in the sticky thread at the top of the forum.

Reactions: Daggerit
I had a similar issue on mine (see here) which turned out (as far as I know) to be a faulty oil pressure sensor. I was getting an error message on the DIS though as well. If you're not getting that, I suspect it may be one of the (surprisingly long) list of things that the manual says will stop the system working: see p.99 in the 2017 manual linked to in the sticky thread at the top of the forum.
Thanks,,, been through that checklist, no good... and no warning ... I'll mess with a few other things. Thanks all...

I wish it could be turned off permanently.****** annoying stupid idea anyway.

I honestly thought it could be turned off, well assumed it could be. I'm going to have to memorise that things of things that prevent it working in the manual......or maybe I'll get used to it.

Mine has almost stopped working too. Even with aircon off. It doesn't bother me unduly as it is a rather annoying feature but I'll ask the dealer to look at it when I get the recall for campaign 6619.

To turn off start/stop your body comes fully equipped to do this with an appendage that's permanently fitted to your hand, called a finger. Use this to press the appropriate button and start/stop will be disabled, you can use other appendages but its not advisable. You will need to do this each time you start the car. Or you can just pull back on the stronic lever, if you have one, as sport disables start/stop, but with no indication.
Alternatively you can get one of these https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/d...agen-audi/coding-interface-disable-start-stop if it bothers you too much. Personally, even if I am in stop start traffic it doesn't me.

Back to the question, if the symbol with a line through it is permanently displayed then there must be some issue, take the car in to your local dealership...

Reactions: RaZ A4
Carista can disable stop/start on the B8.5, hopefully they are working on it for the B9.

FYI it works fine on the B8.5 so if you want yours to work properly then get your dealer to fix it. Even if you don't like s/s you should get it fixed, especially whilst the car is under warranty.

Quick update....my son had been messing with the climate control in the back .. was turned up to full heat... and this prevented the auto stop start... all working now and the car does feel a bit cooler inside

Quick update....my son had been messing with the climate control in the back .. was turned up to full heat... and this prevented the auto stop start... all working now and the car does feel a bit cooler inside

Haha, it's exactly what I said in my comment! Literally the same thing that happened to me. Every now and again I just check the AC is on sync just in case. Glad it's sorted!

Haha, it's exactly what I said in my comment! Literally the same thing that happened to me. Every now and again I just check the AC is on sync just in case. Glad it's sorted!

Thanks Daggerit, yes, credit to your thread - I wouldn't have checked this had you not pointed it out.. can you sync the rear to the front ?

Thanks Daggerit, yes, credit to your thread - I wouldn't have checked this had you not pointed it out.. can you sync the rear to the front ?

Yes, on the switch under '3 zone' or '2 zone' being displayed you can push it up or down (I can't remember which) and select 'sync' which will then set them all to the same temperature as the drivers. As soon as someone adjust theirs manually it'll break the sync again though, so just adjust through yours and it'll be fine.

Reactions: Nham68
I thought this could already be done, hence the dongle I linked to which does the same..
Carista don't list on their website yet for the B9 so I assumed it didn't work but I don't have a B9 to try it on. :)