Stop/Start Fault

Phil3

Reaction score
This warning messaged popped up when I was out and about in the car earlier today... anyone else had it? and know if it will correct itself or is it a trip to the dealers :seenoevil:

53392206 1B63 4E96 B830 73CF35F84ABF

Could be just the battery voltage down a bit , most makes of car have inoperable strain / stop when the battery isn't 100% .

It's a good thing it's not working !

My wife had a similar thing on her car the other week, stop start fault - battery needed replacing so you might wanna start with a battery health check.

Personally, I turn stop/start off as a matter of course after starting the car up... Don't like the thought of giving it some down a dual carriageway, coming to a roundabout and the engine stops, that's really not gonna do my turbo much good!? :blink:

Reactions: AudiNutta
VCDS for the win, About four hours after picking mine up I had it turned off for the very reason Sn00ten mentioned. Don't fancy cooking the oil in the turbo bearings (although I suspect there has to be an electric oil pump in there somewhere, surely)....

Reactions: AudiNutta
A low battery would trigger a warning on the VC
I’ve seen it a few times when doing any extended period of coding work, a battery management warning light comes up.

So I wouldn’t automatically just condemn the battery for this problem.

VCDS for the win, About four hours after picking mine up I had it turned off for the very reason Sn00ten mentioned. Don't fancy cooking the oil in the turbo bearings (although I suspect there has to be an electric oil pump in there somewhere, surely)....

You’d like to think so wouldn’t you, I don’t think there is however and don’t know of a car that has one myself? Hopefully one of our more knowledgeable members will be along soon to tell us whether there is an electric pump.

I’ve got the start stop memory module and I only use start stop if I’m in very heavy traffic which can go months apart, of course only when it’s had adequate time to cool after hitting the traffic.

Knocking Stop/Start off is part of my start up routine too... I just noticed yesterday that the warning popped up before I had chance to press the button :seenoevil:

Start stop function doesn’t affect Turbocharger oil

The electric coolant pump activates to keep coolant running in the same way it does when you switch off at a journeys end.

The RS3 Daza control unit uses a combination of this electric pump and cooling fans to prevent turbo damage from over heating.

This engine has very sophisticated thermal management.

I’ve circled the pump below

be6a29c9151812c57fff7d243c991d01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jimojameso and Sn00ten
Start stop function doesn’t affect Turbocharger oil

The electric coolant pump activates to keep coolant running in the same way it does when you switch off at a journeys end.

The RS3 Daza control unit uses a combination of this electric pump and cooling fans to prevent turbo damage from over heating.

This engine has very sophisticated thermal management.

I’ve circled the pump below

be6a29c9151812c57fff7d243c991d01.jpg

Every day is a school day. Nice one T800, great info, thanks - I'll not worry about letting her idle on the drive after a spirited drive home as much now, although I probably will lol

Reactions: T-800
Every day is a school day. Nice one T800, great info, thanks - I'll not worry about letting the car idle on the drive after a spirited drive home as much now, although I probably will lol

@Sn00ten what you refer too as warming down after giving the car some stick is actually very good practice.
I still do it as a matter of course even more so on hot days.

I was merely pointing out that engine shut off during a S/S event isn’t as bad as people make out, they have designed in thermal management for events like this.

1d1fda42f6b3b57c801cf0503e498e08.jpg

Reactions: Sn00ten and Callum66
So, as of this morning the Stop/Start fault message has gone?! Nothing different with the car and I’ve done nothing to try and sort it... just one of those mystery’s I guess haha

A nice run in it may have recharged the battery enough to pass the threshold voltage for it?

Reactions: oldoiler
A nice run in it may have recharged the battery enough to pass the threshold voltage for it?

I’m thinking similar mate, not that the cars been used any different normal as of late, but back to being all good again :icon thumright:

I’m thinking similar mate, not that the cars been used any different normal as of late, but back to being all good again :icon thumright:
I had this on my PFL occasionally. I jut ignored it.

Reactions: Phil3