Facelift Stop-Start, engine/battery life

kayeng

Reaction score
Greetings,

The RS3 is my first experience of using the stop-start system and as such I have formed a habit of switching off the system every time I start the car. From what little research I have done on this system, it does not seem to offset fuel saving at the cost of engine wear and possibly battery life. There have been a couple of times I have left the system active and it just seems to be intrusive rather than helpful.

How does Audi's system hold up over time?

From what I can tell after going through some forums and searching online, there is no real "fix" to bypass this system as default instead of having to switch it off every time. Has this changed?

Cheers!

It can be switched off using VCDS on the PFL car so I assume it's the same for the FL. Shows an error in a scan, but does not put an EML light on.

I switch it off everytime I get in. I did the VCDS mod a while back, but then the dealer re-flashed the ECU and so it came back. Just need to get the laptop out again.

Reactions: DW81
I would have thought you would kill your battery a lot quicker if it’s being used constantly might be wrong. I don’t know if it is any different on the FL model but on the PFL I can totally deactivate it with my obdeleven tool. Your right it is annoying but as I drive the car 99% of the time in manual mode it’s not active.

In manual mode (or other mode for that matter) is it ok to keep your foot on the brake at say traffic lights? Does the clutch disengage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question mate. I’m not sure as when ever I’m sat in traffic or at a red light I always apply the electronic handbrake. I think the clutch is disengaged with the brake on because when you come off the brake pedal there is a slight delay as the clutch engages before you start to roll, again could be wrong someone more knowledgeable will no for sure

Greetings,

The RS3 is my first experience of using the stop-start system and as such I have formed a habit of switching off the system every time I start the car. From what little research I have done on this system, it does not seem to offset fuel saving at the cost of engine wear and possibly battery life. There have been a couple of times I have left the system active and it just seems to be intrusive rather than helpful.

How does Audi's system hold up over time?

From what I can tell after going through some forums and searching online, there is no real "fix" to bypass this system as default instead of having to switch it off every time. Has this changed?

Cheers!

It's one of the most pointless systems ever devised for a car.
Fair enough if you're stopped in traffic for many minutes as it really will cut pollution and perhaps save a few pennies.
Other than that it's pointless.

It’s simply there to be able to claim better mpg at point if sale. The defined tests they do favour the stop/start for consumption. It’s all a con.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dan_DJT and DW81
I turn it off every time I get in the car. Drives me crackers.

I don’t know why it bothers ppl certainly doesn’t bother me

Good question mate. I’m not sure as when ever I’m sat in traffic or at a red light I always apply the electronic handbrake. I think the clutch is disengaged with the brake on because when you come off the brake pedal there is a slight delay as the clutch engages before you start to roll, again could be wrong someone more knowledgeable will no for sure

Should have got hill hold assist mate, saves you that extra 2 seconds of putting on the handbrake ;)

Turned off (voltage change method) with VCP.

No errors when scanned with VCDS or VCP.

Worked on PFL and FL I have.

Should have got hill hold assist mate, saves you that extra 2 seconds of putting on the handbrake ;)
:tearsofjoy: Would rather have a mechanical lever like in my old TTS if I’m being honest

Reactions: zaka7 and T-800
Of course.....

19 Gateway

Start-Stop voltage limit

Change from 7.6 to 12.1.

Nice! So you don't have to ever press the start stop switch, it just doesn't 'start-stop'...?

Reactions: T-800