1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stonechips Alloy Wheels

Behind The Bins Jul 4, 2018

1. Behind The Bins

Behind The Bins Well-Known Member

My (standard) alloys seem to be quite heavily stone chipped, I have to say of all the cars Ive owned Ive never seen stonechips like this on my wheels previously.

1st reg March 18, 2000 miles.

Ive also seen quite a few dirt inclusions in the finish of the wheels, I'm going into the dealers tomorrow so will mention this

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. AudiNutta

AudiNutta Well-Known Member Team Racing Blue Mica Sportback Audi RS3 quattro

Yep I’ve got chipped wheels too, fed up of washing the car because every week I find more damage.

4. Phil3

Phil3 Well-Known Member Team Nardo Audi RS3 Saloon

I got the alloys powder coated on my previous car to one off shadow chrome... less than a week later I got a huge stone chip on them... so it does happen, I think it’s all just down to pot luck the same as normal bodywork stone chips... some will get loads, some will be lucky and not have many

The dirt could be a different matter though mate... definitely worth asking the question... it could be down to a flaw or poor finish and hopefully you’d get it replace

5. Behind The Bins

My wheels seem to getting battteres by stone chips, is it the warm weather softeniung the laquer slightly

6. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member Team Nardo Audi RS3

I haven’t suffered the chipping but I’ve got imperfections dirt specs in the finish , 3000 Miles . Interested what the dealer says the general finish is not great on mine but didn’t think I’d have any joy taking it back .

7. Behind The Bins

By all means try, he attributed all imperfections on my wheels to stone chips.

I have a 2016 Vito van with 17 inch alloy wheels, 40000 miles without these stone chips

What I have noticed is my wheels are really close to the ground with the low profile tyres and wondered if this had a bearing

Good luck and let me know how you get on

Jonny B likes this.
  8. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member Team Nardo Team Panther Audi RS3 TTRS

Car has 8000 miles and I have quite a few stonechips that have taken chunks out down to the metal. Not had this on any of my other cars. But then this is a car manufacturer that obviously thinks it's acceptable to have a gloss black exhaust that has paint peeling off after 2000 mile and brakes that squeal like a pig getting murdered. By hey ho, take the advice off this forum...don't moan and buy new pads rather than blame Audi, and by that definition get an aftermarket exhaust and new wheels...should only cost about £5k ;)

E15, AudiNutta, Phil3 and 1 other person like this.
  9. T-800

T-800 Well-Known Member Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Sportback Audi RS3 quattro S tronic MQB Platform

Oh dear someone’s in a bad mood

D0C likes this.
  10. AudiNutta

AudiNutta Well-Known Member Team Racing Blue Mica Sportback Audi RS3 quattro

Or could just say somebody has had a moments experience of an Audi service department :icon thumright: