Stone gone through grille - warranty void

Libby Brew

Reaction score
Broke down yesterday due to ‘oil coolent’ management warning light. Turns out a stone has hit the grille, gone straight through and hit my radiator. After using Audi Assist recovery (very helpful, quick and efficient) I have now been sent an AUDI CAM video stating the work ‘will not be covered under warranty’ and the work to repair which requires ‘urgent attention’ will cost £690 + VAT.

After what has been a stupidly stressful 36 hours, I am now reading of stories where people have been successful, 50% successful or not successful at all at contesting this through Audi Customer Services in getting reimbursement for this issue that is QUITE CLEARLY a design fault making the car unfit for purpose.
I’ve had this brand new car for less that 5 months and am in a 36 month contract. What am I expected to do now? Fork out hundreds of pounds on the basis it ‘may’ or ‘may not’ happen again.
Ridiculous.
Any advice welcomed !!

How does a fluke set of circumstances with a stone puncturing your radiator constitute the car not being fit for purpose?

if you drove over glass and got a flat tire would you expect that to be covered? **** happens, it is very unlucky but not a design flaw.

Reactions: CraigM, Sibmets, Darren92 and 2 others
Have to agree with Simon, this isn't a design flaw, it's the council roads flaw, if they had great roads this probably wouldn't happen, it's unlucky but it's not audi's fault at all, unfortunate but it's on you I'm afraid.

I guess they could use a mesh protector as it needs air flow, but at speed a stone will go through that more than likely as it needs to be thin to not cause an air flow restriction, damned if you do damned if you don't.

Reactions: Libby Brew and Sibmets
Hi Libby, Sorry to hear of the issue you have had unfortunately I would have to agree with the previous respondents in that it's clearly not a design fault. This is accidental damage. The local council is likely more to blame for the state of the roads, stone quite possibly came from a pot hole where the road surface is breaking up.
Stuff happens, one of my friends has had to spend nearly £400 on two new tyres in the last few weeks due to punctures picked up from debris on the roads.
Next time the stone might hit the windscreen and crack that. Is that also a design fault?

Broke down yesterday due to ‘oil coolent’ management warning light. Turns out a stone has hit the grille, gone straight through and hit my radiator. After using Audi Assist recovery (very helpful, quick and efficient) I have now been sent an AUDI CAM video stating the work ‘will not be covered under warranty’ and the work to repair which requires ‘urgent attention’ will cost £690 + VAT.

After what has been a stupidly stressful 36 hours, I am now reading of stories where people have been successful, 50% successful or not successful at all at contesting this through Audi Customer Services in getting reimbursement for this issue that is QUITE CLEARLY a design fault making the car unfit for purpose.
I’ve had this brand new car for less that 5 months and am in a 36 month contract. What am I expected to do now? Fork out hundreds of pounds on the basis it ‘may’ or ‘may not’ happen again.
Ridiculous.
Any advice welcomed !!
Welcome to the forum.
Yes it is a kick in the teeth when that happens but if a car was designed for every day risks then it would probably look like an armoured tank. You could try Audi UK and see what they say about lowering cost. Over £820 is a lot of money to shell out in these tough times and near Xmas too. I would write to them and be very polite etc, explaining the despair you are in and you never know what might happen.

Get a private garage to do the work probably half the cost.

TX.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally
How does a fluke set of circumstances with a stone puncturing your radiator constitute the car not being fit for purpose?

if you drove over glass and got a flat tire would you expect that to be covered? **** happens, it is very unlucky but not a design flaw.
A stone shouldn’t be able to go through the grille and make the damage in the first place. The radiator is exposed.

Welcome to the forum.
Yes it is a kick in the teeth when that happens but if a car was designed for every day risks then it would probably look like an armoured tank. You could try Audi UK and see what they say about lowering cost. Over £820 is a lot of money to shell out in these tough times and near Xmas too. I would write to them and be very polite etc, explaining the despair you are in and you never know what might happen.
Thank you

Reactions: Jcbmally