Facelift Stone Chip or paint defect?

Da3k

Reaction score
Hi guys been lurking around for a while.

Quick question and if anyone can help it’s much appreciated.

I picked up my brand new A3 1.5 S Line last Friday and was giving it a wash yesterday and I noticed something that I possibly didn’t spot at handover and it’s planted that seed of doubt in my head.

Front drivers side bumper has a small mark which I can’t be sure is a paint defect or a stone chip that has been unlucky to get in 200 odd miles I’ve driven in the first week.

Anyone any ideas, don’t want to go back to the dealer if it’s a non issue.

Thanks

782167CB 8F54 4950 AF43 C62AD3B948E2

EE46C724 76CB 49A2 90F3 C264FAB86900

Looks like a stone ding.
A but harsh for 290 miles but it happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Looks like a stone chip to me! Very harsh but unfortunately it happens, I'm still in the process of trying to get a paint defect sorted on mine

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Another vote for the stone chip here.

But welcome to ASN @Da3k :thumbs up:

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
100% that's a stone chip especially as its on the lower part of the front bumper, mine's got several in that area

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I agree also - it’s so annoying - I got a stone chip right on the leading edge of the rear wheel arch after 50 miles!! And on Navarra Blue they really show. Good chance to brush up (sorry!) on my stone chip painting skills!!

Thanks for the replies folks, very much appreciated! Definitely annoying for only 200 miles but had that creeping doubt it was a stone chip and just wanted make sure.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I suppose you could approach the dealer and see if they would get it "smart repaired" as a goodwill gesture.............

Just to make sure I’m taking to the dealer today at lunch to see what they think.......

I would be glad

a) it's presumably on the plastic part of the bumper, so not a rust risk
b) the stone didn't make it to the windscreen

If Audi don't sort as a goodwill gesture, I think you could do a good job yourself with something like this https://www.chipex.co.uk/

Yeah definitely plus points that it’s on plastic and not metal work or windscreen. Have used chipex before on a previous A3 I had in black, does a decent enough job.

Just to make sure I’m taking to the dealer today at lunch to see what they think.......

Nailed on they'll tell you it's a stone chip (which it is) and then send you on your way.

Reactions: oli356 and Phutters
Everyone was right, dealer called it as a stone chip. No goodwill repair which to be honest I wasn’t really expecting but they did give me a freebie touch up stick.

At least that’s the first one done and I’m hoping any more that occur are a bit easier and not as emotionally draining. :crying:

At least that’s the first one done and I’m hoping any more that occur are a bit easier and not as emotionally draining. :crying:

Not to drive it, say, to avoid any potential superficial damage kind of defeats the object of having it :p