Stolen wing mirrors

***DK***

Reaction score
So I went to give the cab a good wash and wax this morning only to find someone has snapped off and stolen my wing mirrors! Very annoying. Looks more like stolen then vandals as they are both left exactly the same. No broken bits on the floor or marks on the car thankfully. Logged it with the police and wondering whether it's worth claiming on insurance. Gonna call Audi for prices on a new set.
These were non folding heated version for the s4. Wondering whether I might fit the folding set now and change the knob and trim on the door card for the folding bit to work. Pretty sure these are have the modules already in the door card to manage the folding.

Anyway a very annoying start to the day!
0c7f986b594d7411cd8e96e235cc34ec.jpg
79907678c9a305dd9204b54daa4bfb00.jpg
8fde72e8a3db7ca108be20046a33ed0a.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thieving scum.....easier to take the full mirror than just the covers.

The thing is that even with the folding mirrors they are easily pulled outwards as I have them on my car. So wouldn't stop another theft at a later date.....I think it's just to prevent passing vehicles hitting them.

Fingers crossed you find out who it is and chop their F*****g hands off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parts guy at Audi totted up a rough quote at £710 per side plus labour! Said the chrome covers are £333 each!
Phoned the insurance and they have organised for a garage to pickup the car this week and should be sorted in a week or so. Protected no claims, phew! Not sure I'll be able to do the retrofit if they are doing it as they'll likely only replace like for like. Gonna try my luck with the garage though and see if they'll do it.

Reactions: tony mc and carlcall
Sorry to hear about this.

Parts guy at Audi totted up a rough quote at £710 per side plus labour! Said the chrome covers are £333 each!
Phoned the insurance and they have organised for a garage to pickup the car this week and should be sorted in a week or so. Protected no claims, phew! Not sure I'll be able to do the retrofit if they are doing it as they'll likely only replace like for like. Gonna try my luck with the garage though and see if they'll do it.

Woah that quote is pretty mental.

I know the RS4 mirror's, wingback seat's, flat bottom wheel's, RNS-E's and a few other bits and bobs are notorious for being stolen due to the value so mine doesn't have any fancy bits.

Yeah I really hope it doesn't just happen again as soon as they're fixed. Getting a driveway done in a month so finally getting it off the road and in front of the house. Fingers crossed that will put people off and I can stick some cameras up to watch what's going on.

Reactions: Toblahoe, dimitar.tuntov.5 and carlcall
£710 per side are they taking the **** or what and £330 each for covers audi must be very short of money if the can honestly charge those ridiculous
prices,just daylight robbery

Reactions: DieselJake
So I am going to have a go at adding the folding mirrors (if the garage doing the insurance work will bend a little) and thought at the same time i'll buy the bits to add the memory seat switch which my car didnt come with. Plan is to follow a guide on Audizone (Google - Memory-Seat-and-Mirrors-DIY-(Part-1) & Part 2)).

Seems like for folding mirrors I need :
1) the complete mirrors,
2) new folding mirror switch,
3) optic panel that has the pictures of folding mirror at the 6 o'clock position
4) new door arm rest trim with the hole for the folding mirror optic to poke through.
Pretty confident the car has the right control modules in the doors already as the S4 had them as standard (i think).

Hoping if i give all these bits to the garage they can order the folding mirrors (i pay the difference between non-folding/folding) and fit the extra bits at my cost while the door card is off.

Then, hoping they can leave the door card on loosely for me to fit the memory seat wiring when I get it home.
For that I think I need:
1) Memory seat switch that goes in the new trim (2) in the door card
2) Memory seat switch case/trim
3) 10 port plug to go into the Memory switch which connects to the 32 port door control module plug via repair wires
4) 9 small repair wires and 2 larger ones
5) Some patience to locate the relevant CAN wires in/under the dash.

Called Audi for some of the smaller parts that i cant find on Ebay, they basically told me that as my car didn't come with these bits, they couldnt lookup the parts. They're so annoying! He did say if i can find a Reg or a Chassis number of a Cab that has memory seats and folding mirors I could tell him the reg so he could find the parts. Anyone out there have a Cab with these that can help? PM me?

I'll try to note a detailed DIY if i do this.

Reactions: tony mc
When you get your car off the road and in front of the house, a motion activated security light may help, anyone peaking around your car will soon run off if a bright light instantly comes on, worked for my driveway when social housing was built across the street.

Mirror theft seems to be common on Audis, one of our S3 comrades has had them stolen 3 times so far.

So I am going to have a go at adding the folding mirrors (if the garage doing the insurance work will bend a little) and thought at the same time i'll buy the bits to add the memory seat switch which my car didnt come with. Plan is to follow a guide on Audizone (Google - Memory-Seat-and-Mirrors-DIY-(Part-1) & Part 2)).

Seems like for folding mirrors I need :
1) the complete mirrors,
2) new folding mirror switch,
3) optic panel that has the pictures of folding mirror at the 6 o'clock position
4) new door arm rest trim with the hole for the folding mirror optic to poke through.
Pretty confident the car has the right control modules in the doors already as the S4 had them as standard (i think).

Hoping if i give all these bits to the garage they can order the folding mirrors (i pay the difference between non-folding/folding) and fit the extra bits at my cost while the door card is off.

Then, hoping they can leave the door card on loosely for me to fit the memory seat wiring when I get it home.
For that I think I need:
1) Memory seat switch that goes in the new trim (2) in the door card
2) Memory seat switch case/trim
3) 10 port plug to go into the Memory switch which connects to the 32 port door control module plug via repair wires
4) 9 small repair wires and 2 larger ones
5) Some patience to locate the relevant CAN wires in/under the dash.

Called Audi for some of the smaller parts that i cant find on Ebay, they basically told me that as my car didn't come with these bits, they couldnt lookup the parts. They're so annoying! He did say if i can find a Reg or a Chassis number of a Cab that has memory seats and folding mirors I could tell him the reg so he could find the parts. Anyone out there have a Cab with these that can help? PM me?

I'll try to note a detailed DIY if i do this.

I have a can with folding from factory if it helps

Well guys I'm pleased to say i have the cab back and she has a new set of mirrors, and they are now power folding! Thanks to Jasesapphy for letting my garage use his reg for the parts. They ordered the power fold mirrors against his reg and my s4 metal silver caps. I found a cab door card on eBay for £18 which had the folding switch and extra arm rest plastic trim parts.

Asking them to fit the memory seat switch was a bit of an ask so I'm going to do that myself once i get the plastic surrounding trim part which is hard to come by. On back order from Germany £25 delivered but 2 weeks.

Decided to also fit the cruise control so bought those parts this week to fit asap.

That should be it for the retrofit nerdery for a while

f16be9c3399124001ddd8e43eb948710.jpg

0c5055389445bbf357950d1d288ee43d.jpg

Small scratch on the plastic trim from the scrap yard but i can live with that for £18.

727d67cf5c1d25996d833f23d063ddb9.jpg

Built the wire harness for the memory switch, ready to go in once i have the switch surround. Will then be a case of popping off the door card again, making a small hole in the storage compartment for the wires to go through, then secure it in place, connecting it to the window motor module plugs, and wiring in 3 wires under the seat to the can bus.

Great news buddy, glad it helped!
Did you get auto tiniting glass in the wing mirror?
If so it also auto tints the same as rear view, my car had that so hopefully it might.

Glad to been of help, if you need VCDS to do cruise control let me know, I have it

Jase

The glass does look like it's auto tint. Not sure how I know for sure though. I don't have the auto tint rear view so not sure if it needs that to work? Guess I'll find out when i drive it some more. Your car sounds like it has every optional extra going!

Auto wing mirrors have a border around the glass
I was very lucky when I purchased my car, It did have nearly every option by previous owner
Bose, Nav, auto tint glass, Carbon trim, leather with heated and full memory seats
Only thing it didn't have was xenon, but I retro fitted genuine audi units.

If it does have the Auto tint glass you can link it up using a light sensor

Last edited:
SQ7 mirrors stolen in Wandsworth last night 15th April 23:56. Car crime usually higher when the fairground is in town! £725 to replace them! Midnight robbery. Litterally. Have cctv of the incident but pretty sure with falling police budgets nothing will happen. Hopefully the two young guys who took them will come a cropper some day.

Attachments

• 80D609D8-5160-45D2-A5BD-F084C0734052.jpeg
    80D609D8-5160-45D2-A5BD-F084C0734052.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 224C5377-BD19-4823-82C4-873D3DCFF1D3.jpeg
    224C5377-BD19-4823-82C4-873D3DCFF1D3.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 227
Ah man sorry to hear! So annoying! Agree I doubt the police will do much but hope they do. The insurance were very good when they sorted my new ones. Garage in Wimbledon did the work if you want their number pm me and I'll dig it out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Unbelievable what some people will do! Acts of vandalism make our blood boil!

Not sure if this will help at all but here is the links to our 2 part videos on wing mirrors so you could replace yourself to save a few quid after forking out for replacements:

Hope you get sorted soon

Total Technik

Thanks everyone for your support. I’ve had some responses on and of this thread. A top lad at Coulsdon Audi knocked me 10% off the mirrors and has offered to pop them on for free. Saved me about £250 on my quote for Victoria Audi. I think I might have them etched to make them difficult to sell, something like “Stolen from POSTCODE NUMBER PLATE”. I’m convinced it’s people for George Irvins funfair so watch out if they’re in your neighbourhood. Will sent the cctv to the cops. 2 young lads in hoodies with rucksacks stared straight at my camera!

I also think if cars have electrically folding mirrors, the manufacturers should link them to the alarm so if they are folded out while the car is locked it goes off! Makes so much sense. They might sell a few less parts but let’s face it they owe us some customer service given what they earn off us!

Reactions: martin1984