1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Facelift Stolen RS3 with Ghost

T-1000 Sep 5, 2020

1. T-1000

T-1000 Registered User

Happened recently.
    Looks like they pushed it down a lane and eventually got it started after pulling the interior to bits.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. K96

K96 Registered User

I would be intrested to hear how they manged to get the car started...thought it wasn't possible at all once you had ghost installed ?

Does it matter if the car is keyless entry or not on this scenario?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

4. terminator x

terminator x Registered User

How did they know it had Ghost? How did they gain entry to push the car down the road? How did they get the steering wheel un-locked? Need a bit more info really.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

sve170 likes this.
  5. D0C

D0C Registered User

Completely agree with that last sentence. If they want it bad enough, they’ll get it. To me it has always just been about making it as difficult as possible for them so they leave your car alone.

IMO, bring back the death penalty or chop off a thieves hands. It’s quite simple, if you steal something then something very bad should happen to you.

sve170, AudiNutta, X3man and 2 others like this.
  6. DW81

DW81 Registered User

X3man likes this.
  7. seventeenapg

seventeenapg Registered User

What about the likes of MRC that can add a map that will not allow the car to start? Would that be a better option particularly when getti g a map anyway?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

8. T-1000

T-1000 Registered User

They broke in to the house and nicked the Keys.
    It wasn’t that they defeated the ghost I think they managed to wire it to start, but they tore half the interior apart to do it.

terminator x likes this.
  9. T-1000

T-1000 Registered User

As I understand it the guy said they had managed to get the car started even with the Ghost armed.
    Whether they found the ghost and reconnected the can bus wires or found alternative can bus wires to get the car going remains anyone’s guess.

10. Poole

Poole Registered User

Yes... Thankfully nobody was injured and the car was returned.. As good as the ghost is, the only real weakness is if the Ghost unit is not hidden that well then it could then be vulnerable.?

Did anyone else put the 2 stickers on the windows that came with unit..? I did only in the hope it would hopefully deter any thieves..

11. D0C

D0C Registered User

I suppose that does then mean they know that they have to find a way around it and can plan ahead...

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. terminator x

No. For me I'd rather they get confused as to why the car won't start then hopefully **** off after a minute or 2.

TX.

14. RS03WKS

RS03WKS Registered User

Car stolen.....Horrible read on a Sunday Morning.

15. T-1000

T-1000 Registered User

Follow up post from the guy.

Strange question if you ask me though.

[​IMG]

16. rdj

rdj Registered User

Hopefully he's going to get straight on to Autowatch so they can go over his car with a fine tooth comb to established what happened. It's important they are given the opportunity. I wonder if the owner was happy to tell others he had a Ghost which is why his car was targeted and then gone over in this way? I though the Ghost effectively locked out the Canbus so there is no way to get around it...

DW81 and terminator x like this.
  17. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I guess if you have time to steal the keys and then take the vehicle apart then no security is going to stop them.

18. RS03WKS

RS03WKS Registered User

The thought, which crossed my mind, could it be somebody with the inside knowledge in the fitting arena... as its becoming the norm to fit Ghost.

Touch of delusions kicking in, may be...

19. terminator x

A while back there was a vid going around suggesting Ghost had been bypassed with no pin although afaik it turned out to be fake. My installer is adamant that it can't be defeated without the pin.

TX.

20. RS03WKS

RS03WKS Registered User

Hope its not as simple unplug and reconnecting the loom... nobody will admit this.

21. GW1

GW1 Registered User

I wouldn’t want a stolen car back anyway. I would rather it was crashed and the thieves burn a slow and painful death.

millsy75 and mister.c. like this.
  22. Shawn8V

Shawn8V Registered User

Doesn’t ghost have a function where it can connect to your smartphone via Bluetooth to disarm the ghost instead of entering in the pin ? Maybe this is what happened to allow the car to start or even worse there could be a vulnerability to this feature as Bluetooth systems can be comprised if a person who knows what they are doing.

23. terminator x

You'd have to be loony tunes to use your phone imho. Button presses way more secure.

TX.

millsy75 and T-1000 like this.
  24. T-1000

T-1000 Registered User

Nope. Ghost was armed they towed it away first.

25. Shawn8V

Shawn8V Registered User

Well if it was towed away that means the ignition would have been unlocked in order to get the car into neutral to let be rolled away which means they got access to the keys somehow. As with all security systems it should always be in a layered approach and not just rely on ghost to deter / stop someone from stealing your vehicle. (Edit - just realised they broke into the house and took the keys but still this shouldn’t have happened)

26. T-1000

T-1000 Registered User

Yup they had the keys.

The owner said the ignition was cycled at least 20 times before it was started.

27. RS03WKS

RS03WKS Registered User

So, they broke into the house to steal the keys and wrecked the car..
    Really glad, Joshua & family were not harmed in stealing the keys.
    May be.. 1st layer of deterrent, leave the key outside the house with a zillion volts attached to it.

GW1 likes this.
  28. royalsteve68

royalsteve68 Registered User

Totally agree, old school much better

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

29. Phazer

Phazer Registered User

To those asking about disconnecting the unit - yes it really is that simple. It interacts with the CAN to disable the car, take it out and that's it. That's why it's so important it's installed properly and well hidden.

I wonder if it's possible to locate the device using the bluetooth signal? It's certainly possible to do positioning to some degree, device dependant (see the Corona app stuff for details).

30. Poole

Poole Registered User

Thankfully the Ghost unit itself is pretty small, and therefore relatively easy to hide..!!

31. N-Sinc

N-Sinc Registered User

This. I have a ghost, a steering lock, my front gate is locked at night, motion sensors all round the house and car, security lights everywhere, shock sensors on every window and door of the house, house fully alarmed every night, smart cameras front and rear of the house that set an alarm off in my bedroom if anyone comes within range etc etc

So effectively, by the time someone is on my property, i'll have already called the police and let them know i know they're there, before they get anywhere near the doors / windows.

It works beautifully. Had two scrotes jump my front gate for the RS3 a year ago, at 11pm on a Sunday. As they were climbing the side gate i was already out the front window shouting, and they legged it immediately. They must have wondered how on earth i knew they were there, as when i watched the footage back they'd been watching all the windows as they crept up the driveway.

RS03WKS and seventeenapg like this.
  32. D0C

D0C Registered User

Can’t you wire the gate up to the mains. Fry the ******* as they climb onto it?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2020
    RS03WKS, jimojameso, DW81 and 3 others like this.
  33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. sve170

sve170 Registered User

Agree, no deterrent anymore for scumbag thieves in the UK.
    Softly softly approach has failed, in the USA homeowners are allowed to protect their property in any way possible, even if it means shooting the scumbag dead.

35. Phazer

Phazer Registered User

And how is that working out for the USA? It's not is it.

The threat of being shot isn't stopping anyone committing crime in the US, nor does throwing people in jail for ever longer periods. Applying any US style crime approaches will also similarly fail. It's hard to put fear into people who don't fear losing anything.

36. D0C

D0C Registered User

That’s why they should just be executed immediately.

37. Phazer

Phazer Registered User

I didn't comment on the therapy aspect of dealing with them :icon thumright:

D0C likes this.
  38. royalsteve68

exactly. that's why i am glad i have version 1 of ghost and not the stupid version 2 which has bluetooth and therefore its location can be detected using a radio scanner. I think any ghost bought after 2018 is version 2 - i would see if they can switch off the bluetooth or if not then get the installer to encase it in metal - obviously it wont be 100% as you need power and cable entry.

39. royalsteve68

There were reports a couple years ago when someones focus rs was stolen within a week of the install - but there were rumours that it was a bad install / foul play

40. royalsteve68

Where do you live.

We could all play a game....winner who avoids detection keeps your RS3...lol

41. royalsteve68

I work in telecoms, bluetooth just uses short wave radio signals. So, a radio scanner will easily detect its location. Thats why its important to turn off bluetooth or not use it in any security device like ghost. Cant believe the manufacturer added it to Ghost - for lazy people.

Its also important that your installer puts it in a different place for each car. That's why i wouldn't go to a main dealer.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    mister.c. likes this.