Stolen RNS-E unit, Scotland

Oortam

Reaction score
I just thought I'd post that I had the RNS-E system stolen from my 2012 S3 last night. They used what looks like a large can opener to destroy the door around the drivers door handle to expose the innards. They then smashed the passenger side front window and presumably reached in and removed the RNS-E system. The amount of damage to the drivers door was incredible. This happened when the car was parked on my drive about 1m from my front door. I live in Linlithgow and according to the police there aren't any other car break ins in the area. I live at the end of a small cul de sac so there's no through traffic. It looks like they were specifically targeting the car. Be aware people. To say I'm gutted is an understatement. The alarm didn't go off so I can only assume the damage to the driver's door was to disable the alarm. Here's hoping the insurance sorts this out quickly.

Mate absolutely gutted for you!! Thieving scum bags! Very scary to think your car was so close to your house when this happened. I wonder what they did with the door to disable the alarm!

M........ers, hope they fall and choke on it. :(
My neighbour spent nearly £500 to have his car polished and painted to be spotless and got keyed overnight :(
There are 6-7 separate key lines all over from light to light.

Total w****rs , people that do this should be locked up for a long time , we all spend hard earned money on our cars , really feel for you :(

I delayed the retro-fit of the RNS-E to my S3 for this very reason, was very worried about it.
Car has gone now and thankfully didn't get any hassle.
Unfortunately there's probably not a lot the police can do.
Hope you get it all sorted with the insurance quickly.
Quite worrying that they managed to disable the alarm though......

sorry to hear!

As above its scary to hear what they can do, especially knowing what to do to get around alarms going off!

T**sers didn't have to wreck the door! that's just spiteful. I'll never own an RNS-E for exactly this reason ...EVER.

Get a floodlight with movement sensor fitted asap! Thieves don't like light when they're on a job.

I hate coming on here to read these stories. Really feel for you pal and hope you can get this sorted. You going through insurance? Keep an eye out on Gumtree and eBay everyone.

20140302 123753
I thought I'd post a picture of the damage to the door. There is a movement triggered light on the drive so they would have been lit up when they were doing this. They then moved to the passenger side to break the window and work in the shade.

What the hell were they doing in the drivers door? Does anyone know? I know that the internal monitor disarm switch is on the door card but would that work with the alarm already armed???

Holy ****, that's some damage. I'm local so will keep ears to the ground. Hmmm having second thoughts about getting one now even though our car is garaged.

I'm local so will keep ears to the ground. Hmmm having second thoughts about getting one now even though our car is garaged.
Thanks for that, I'm putting out the word as well. I'm now looking at getting another alarm where they won't be able to bypass it so easily. It's a great car and I don't want to have to change it. The scary thing is I live in a quiet street with no through traffic so they were searching for one or we were followed home to see where it's parked. I'll have to keep an eye open in future.

That damage is ridiculous,guessing they figured out a way to disarm the motion alarm by doing what they have done. Just another tool in their pocket to use against RNSE theft. Suppose if no one bought them second hand there wouldn't be a market but I know that not a realistic thought. Really gutted for you, ****ers

Sorry to read and see this mate, that damage is mental as well, they have obviously done it for a reason and know some way around the alarm!!

Hope you get it all sorted soon. :)

Sorry to hear that it's bad enough hearing they get broken into but what they have done to your door is just a joke, hope something horrible happens to them!!!

G-zus, what a mess! ...and you heard nothing??? they've got some B@[[s on em to do that. I'm glad I work nights, as even when I'm not working I can't sleep at night anymore.

Incidentally, my floodlight\sensor also has a chime that sounds in the house whenever it's triggered. Google - PIR Security Light With Chime.

Good idea to get the Alarm upgraded, £4-500 for a decent one (Cobra, Toad, Clifford, etc) seems cheap when you're faced with that scenario. :sadlike:

jesus, when you said they damages your drivers door i never imagined that!

the anoying thing is though, all the bad things happen to good people. and **** houses like these never have bad stuff come there way...

Sorry to hear your loss mate, just upgraded my RNS-E to the latest and getting worried about it getting stolen! Heard so many horror story's on hear lately about RNS-E's being stolen!

I know it's a bit late for you now but what I have done, is take down all the serial numbers, etc on the unit and taken photo's of it, so 'if' my RNS-E is stolen, it 'may' help me track it down if it is ever advertised on eBay or similar. I suggest people do the same thing!

Sorry to hear your loss mate, just upgraded my RNS-E to the latest and getting worried about it getting stolen! Heard so many horror story's on hear lately about RNS-E's being stolen!

I know it's a bit late for you now but what I have done, is take down all the serial numbers, etc on the unit and taken photo's of it, so 'if' my RNS-E is stolen, it 'may' help me track it down if it is ever advertised on eBay or similar. I suggest people do the same thing!

Register it & other valuables: >https://www.immobilise.com/index.php

Sorry to hear that! It's shocking that they would go to that extent to get it!

I don't get it at all. The damage done is far more than what the unit is worth. Scum bags

I had seen the main posts about rns theft and thought wrongly it was a southern issue but it's obv not I stay not far from you and wouldn't class lithgae as a car crime hotspot feel bad for you and if i hear anything i will give you a shout.

View attachment 28742
I thought I'd post a picture of the damage to the door. There is a movement triggered light on the drive so they would have been lit up when they were doing this. They then moved to the passenger side to break the window and work in the shade.

Thats impressive, I'd have gone mad.

I have 360 CCTV constantly on record onto onboard hard drive, plumbed through all the TV's in the house, it overwrites old records, so i've continuously got the latest records to look at if I need to.

Very clear infared night vision. Ball type camera bang on the front centre of the house. Cameras sides and rear.

Red infrared rings stare at you as you rock up at night, then you're immediately blinded by the flood light, and your shown to all.

So motion sensor flood lights on entering drive way, then 2 more by the garage just so I can get a clear view on anyone messing about.

Not to mention a padlock on the garage door, and a Milltek to sound the alarm.

I dont even live in a high crime area or even a 'any crime area', no reported crimes for years, middle of nowhere in the country....but you can never be too careful.

Get it all rigged up..trust no one.....:photo:

Well trained dog normally is a good addition to any security system too

Reactions: mjr901
Thats impressive, I'd have gone mad.

I have 360 CCTV constantly on record onto onboard hard drive, plumbed through all the TV's in the house, it overwrites old records, so i've continuously got the latest records to look at if I need to.

Very clear infared night vision. Ball type camera bang on the front centre of the house. Cameras sides and rear.

Red infrared rings stare at you as you rock up at night, then you're immediately blinded by the flood light, and your shown to all.

So motion sensor flood lights on entering drive way, then 2 more by the garage just so I can get a clear view on anyone messing about.

Not to mention a padlock on the garage door, and a Milltek to sound the alarm.

I dont even live in a high crime area or even a 'any crime area', no reported crimes for years, middle of nowhere in the country....but you can never be too careful.

Get it all rigged up..trust no one.....:photo:

As impressive as that may be, it didnt help this RS4 driver...

Gone in 90 seconds: how thieves hack into and steal keyless-entry cars | Sunday Times Driving

car wasnt in a garage though

As impressive as that may be, it didnt help this RS4 driver...

Gone in 90 seconds: how thieves hack into and steal keyless-entry cars | Sunday Times Driving

car wasnt in a garage though

Makes my blood boil, hand on heart, if I caught them red handed, it would be my hands covered in blood. 'Their blood' and I say it like that as no doubt our taxes keep them in this world. So we to a sense own theses idiots, but without choice.

They'll go back to the hell hole and store that RS4 in a random shed in a field and slowly sell it in bits and bobs. Make a £1 or 2. Blow it all on 'Ganja' and side skirts for 'their' Vectra SRI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: s3_trev and sliced
Shocking video . certainly wouldn't make me sleep well if I didn't have my RS4 in a good garage.

Omg! That's awful :-( - Gutted for you!

Seriously thinking that it may not be worth upgrading to this...

Complete w**kers.., sorry to hear that mate!!!

I know how I'd feel if it was my car? Cut their ****** hands off.:gun2:

OMG! If I ever have no choice but to live somewhere like that, I'll get my wheels clamped, second of all the steering wheel lock, third never would leave much fuel unless I have to... lol so thinking through all of this nobody would ever steel my car...

Apart from that the video was quite shocking... I thought they were going to steel the RNSE only, but then realised naaaa, they wanna the whole car...

Sad :lmfao:

Just a quick update. Our insurance company, Allianz, wanted to send the car to Nationwide to do the repair. My wife told them the car was still under warranty and to keep that warranty it would have to go to Audi for the repair. They then tried to insist it went to Nationwide and told her she wouldn't get a hire car while it was being repaired if it went to Audi. My wife spoke to Audi Glasgow, who offered a loan car while it was being repaired. The insurance company were useless and only interested in getting the repair done as cheap as possible. We paid extra to have a hire car if we were in an accident but they still refused unless we used Nationwide - who have a very bad reputation in my area. Allianz now in my list of companies not to use in the future.Anyway, car now with Audi and quote being prepared. They also found marks on the boot where it looks like the thieves tried to get it open for a look.

Most Insurance Companies try the same thing - use their preferred repairers or lose the courtesy car! But in most cases the repair won't last more than a couple of years before it shows through. A decent car deserves an OE repair.

Well done for sticking to your guns.

Just a quick update. The final quote for the repair was over £8,600!!! Still not got the car back as they're waiting for some parts from the factory. I emailed Audi UK asking for guidance regarding upgrading/improving the Audi alarm and so far have had no reply. I emailed them a month ago and sent a reminder 2 weeks ago but still no reply. It looks like they may be adopting the "stick your head in the sand" approach as they don't want to acknowledge their alarm system can be gotten around. The email address I used was customer.services@audi.co.uk If anybody has different contact details that may get a reply I'd appreciate it. The address of the head of Audi UK would be best I think.

£8600 to replace a door, glass, locks and an RSNE unit...!

WTF??

That is ridiculous. That's going to near enough write off some audi's and even more so when they age more