Stock wastegate preload setting K04 tt225; bad diaphragm

Oh5ttQuattro

Reaction score
After wasting probably over a thousand dollars chasing a problem it turned out to be the diaphragm in the wastegate actuator. I fitted a new actuator last night and adjusted it to the same exact length as the original and the car feels worse than before. I'm going to try and loosen the preload but i'd like to know exactly how to do this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbocharger-Turbo-Actuator-Wastegate-Audi-A3-S3-TT-Seat-Leon-1-8-Cupra-R-K04-23/391719605576?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I was getting a 17705 and after a week or sometimes randomly i'd get a lean code. Now after this the 17705 still came back. I'm guessing it's because the computer is seeing a difference in commanded boost vs actual boost? Can someone show me how to interpret the logs. I'd like to know how to adjust this and how I could've found the issue before wasting a lot of time, money and sanity.

I cut the old wastegate actuator apart and the diaphragm was definitely leaking there was also mineral oil on the other side of the diaphragm from the smoke tester. The leak was so small and only leaked above more pressure than the smoke machine could make it was impossible to find. It would hold 5 psi for a couple minutes or more. I even tried pumping in smoke then pressurizing the line, but in the end I just bought a hand pump that could produce more pressure.

The more I think about it how could the torn diaphragm have caused a lean code, does the car pull vacuum on the diaphragm when there's no boost?

are you actually getting overboost/underboost or just 17705 code (which can be map/ or maf related) as well as dv

ive only seen slight differences in requested vs actual when logging. Enough to set that code supposedly.

I feel my only option at this point is to get a legit version of vcds and post there I get no help anywhere else. Im honrstly not sure what to log or how to interpret it.

codes are
17705 pressure drop
17544 fuel trim bank 1 add lean bank 1
16891 idle higher than expected

maf is new log shows good numbers accorsing to waks page.

After fixing small boost leak and bad diaphragm fuel mileage is 30-31 at 55-60 mph, i do have a haldex controller TMAP. Im at a complete loss and more than disgusted. I wish i listened to everyone i ever worked with about audi and vw. Ive thrown prob 4 or 5k into this car under the hood and worked on it more than i drove it. A lot i replaced as preventstive maintenance and it just kept adding up.

Ive tried a stock dv with no change, forge is on it now. Only mods are dv, apr tip and intake. Every sensor under hood has been replaced except for egr/combi valve solenoid, all oem parts. Combi valve diaphragm is not torn. New silicone boost hoses.

Thanks for the reply.

i bought a brand new ecm cheap to have a spare. tried it same ****. i saw people edit out the 17705 when mapping but i know its there for a reason. If it was programming the new ecm prob wouldnt have had it. The new ecm wasnt cloned it was immo defeated and installed. At this point i have to pay someone or buy vcds

i bought a brand new ecm cheap to have a spare. tried it same ****. i saw people edit out the 17705 when mapping but i know its there for a reason. If it was programming the new ecm prob wouldnt have had it. The new ecm wasnt cloned it was immo defeated and installed. At this point i have to pay someone or buy vcds
17705 is flow detected, and I have seen it caused by maf, bad map, and split dv

higher idle could be plain old leak from inlet manifold, (smoke test should reveal this) or throttle body could do with a clean, and reset..

lean code is often weak fuel pump, airleak, under reading maf

I believe its only at idle I could drive a week without setting a code for the lean condition. But one day in stop and go traffic and it sets.

Ive done a smoke test. Manifold was resealed new south performance gasket and injector cups and o rings.

I need to learn how to log and fully interpret what im seeing. I have a vas5052, the laptop i bought from the uk has a crap version of vcds that freezes while logging. My new maf could very well be bad. 17705 resets immediately when driving hard.
Im going to buy a boost leak tester and legit copy of vcds this week. All vacuum hoses were replaced except for booster hose and the evap hose next to the booster pipe at booster, it has a check valve.

Ill proably revert back to stock as well. I havr a 1543 dollar turbo back just sitting there this is painful and a flashzilla flash uploader. Id pay someone to help me but no one takes the offer im not joking.

only the lean code sets the cel. 02 sensors are new bosch. Bought fuel pressure tester over the weekend and realized it was a waste as this is most certainly vacuum/boost related.

The only other aftermarket part is a 034 pcv setup that eliminates the suction jet. Suction jet under manifold for evap was replaced. Everything is new oem

once i get this sorted and malone "tuned" im going to upgrade to your tip, i did have a prob when i tried placing an order last time cant remember what it was

one post online said they had a cracked turbine housing that caused the lean code but would it cause the others idk?

It was a boost leak. The piece of **** 034 motorsport pcv valve was leaking. I did away with the standard suction jet setup the BEA engine uses and went with their "improved" design that uses a standard pcv. I can't believe how much money and time I wasted. It was the first item I replaced to fix this issue and it probably would've resolved all of this if i'd went OEM like I did with everything else I wasted my money on.

While researching their motor mounts I found out they were junk so I guess everything they make is junk.

It was a boost leak from a bad pcv valve causing the 17705. The lean code and probably random misfires were from a bad fuel pump putting out 20-25 psi. If I knew how to log with vcds i'd have saved myself close to two grand in parts but at least I have known good sensors for future problems. Thanks for replying.