stock 19" s3 wheels vs stock 18" wheels ??

zippster

Reaction score
Hey all

does anyone know if i could just bolt on stock 19" rims onto my s3 supplied with 18" rims? what will this do to the stance and ride height?

i have been thinking about spacers for a while and cannot decide if its a good idea or not, but I'm sure i remember someone mentioning that the stock 19" 'FIT' better..

can anyone confirm ? or have a picture of a stock 19" setup ? so i can compare it to stock 18"

Thanks in advance

Andy.

Yes - direct swap - with the wider wheel and slightly different offset that gives the equivalent of an 8.3mm spacer of more like 10-12mm when factory in the wider 235 tyre.

Reactions: pburv and zippster
Car will sit 5mm higher but you'll also have 5mm less air gap to the wheel arch so altogether better.

Reactions: pburv and zippster
18s :-

IMG 2652

19s :-

IMG 2651

IMG 2650

Reactions: NevMan, dp_motley, pburv and 3 others
Yes - direct swap - with the wider wheel and slightly different offset that gives the equivalent of an 8.3mm spacer of more like 10-12mm when factory in the wider 235 tyre.
Car will sit 5mm higher but you'll also have 5mm less air gap to the wheel arch so altogether better.
5mm? is that right, wheel is 24mm bigger, minus 10mm for less tyre..equalas 14mm bigger..

Did you source those 19's? :D I want them on mine, after getting up close to the ones on the saloon I'm driving. I thought I liked the wing arms, but the design above is gorgeous!

Yes spent a year searching for them (although two sets cropped up for sale last month) - car was specced with mag ride just needed the wheels that I liked.

rob whats the offset? is it ET52?

ET49

Reactions: pburv
d0b8d40dece96738610ec99e417d5692.jpg
4abf6ce266f568e5115dbba908198508.jpg

Here's mine with the stock 19 V spokes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and zippster
Yes spent a year searching for them (although two sets cropped up for sale last month) - car was specced with mag ride just needed the wheels that I liked.

I bet you did :( They are gorgeous wheels. Want to swap for some 3 month old wing arms in perfect condition? Lmao

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
I think there is very little looks wise between the 18’s and 19’s

would probably pick the 18’s for comfort though

I think there is very little looks wise between the 18’s and 19’s

would probably pick the 18’s for comfort though

There is a HUGE amount between looks on an 18 and 19, its absolutely crazy the difference and inch more of metal, and an inch less of rubber make imo. [/QUOTE]

So you guys with 19” wheels, how is the rise height and handling compared to 18”?

Handling on a standard A3 is better with 19's, comfort is reduced somewhat, but still acceptable. The S-Line suspension is fairly brutal anyway.

You feel more road with the 19's but you lose that floaty vague feeling in the A3, and it coverts to being more on point and assertive, and with the lightweight forged 19's - also a lot more sprightly and acceleration improves. On heavier 19's, acceleration is reduced a little but the car feels more like the original, more solid but less active.

No real difference in MPG.

Visually the ride height looks lower as the arch gap is around 5mm less with 19's.

19's on standard ride height/shocks/springs

Thumbnail IMG 8598

IMG 0913 1 1024x683

19's lowered on Eibach Pro/Koni Special Actives

S

S3

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottishA4B9
@Dubjam Love the alloys in your first 2 pics. That’s the ones I want. The size of wheels defo suit the A3 saloon but then it’s a bigger car.

@Dubjam Love the alloys in your first 2 pics. That’s the ones I want. The size of wheels defo suit the A3 saloon but then it’s a bigger car.

There is 150mm difference between the A3 Saloon and the A3 Sportback according to Auto Express :)

'At 4,460mm the A3 Saloon is noticeably longer than its five-door A3 Sportback stablemate, which is only 4,310mm.'

Hi Rob, my girlfriend just got a 16 S3 and was looking to get a set of OEM 19" take offs, the same ones here. Would the 19s on OEM 235/35/19 tires still fit without rubbing / clearance issues? Thanks for the help!

It must be a PFL as the FL comes with 19's as standard I believe - so yes, they will fit fine. Be ready for a bumpy ride though if you don't have Magnaride. I went back to 18's myself, I couldn't cope with it.