stinking S1!

EasyDeluxe

Reaction score
With the run in completed (now 2000+ km) I drove to a very quiet part of the antwerp harbour where it is a walhalla to drive quick on twisting roads and roundabouts on near perfect tarmac. When I got there I started to give the S1 some stick to get to know the car. But every time I exit a tight corner or roundabout agressively to induce some wheelspin or a drift the following happens...
I exit corner, second gear, give it full throttle and now the revs go way up but the car goes slow. So i am not sure if i have massive wheelspin or my clutch is slipping.
First I tought it was wheelspin, nice, but the car started smelling really hard like burned clutch or maybe bake pads? So what's the deal? When I start from standstill, rev the engine, dump the clutch it gust goes...no spinning...no smell. Or is the traction control doing something with the brakes that causes the smell?
The situation was as follows. Dry road, Temperature zero degrees celcius, stock summer tyres, car in dynamic mode, traction control on.
Any ideas?
Should I be worried about my clutch? It should be able to handle the power of the car no?
thank you!

Reactions: Jifjay
Welcome to the forum.

When I start from standstill, rev the engine, dump the clutch it gust goes...no spinning...no smell. Or is the traction control doing something with the brakes that causes the smell?

thank you!

You are some what correct. The rev limit is around 4000 and will bog if you dump it. That is how Audi has designed it. There is torque vectoring, which uses the brakes to help corner. I've gone several drives before with hard braking and I never notice any smell from the brakes. Question is whether you've been treating the transmission well or you just thrashing it.

I exit corner, second gear, give it full throttle and now the revs go way up but the car goes slow. So i am not sure if i have massive wheelspin or my clutch is slipping.

As you reach the upper limits there is a drop in power, small turbo. Once you hit the limit the car pretty much dies...

If it's traction control, the orange slippery car symbol flashes (not sure if you were looking). Even with traction control on i've been able to get the back to step out on fast sweeping corners. I doubt you would be able to get any wheelspin in 2nd gear in a stock S1, only front wheelspin you'll ever get is understeer.

Don't dump the clutch.

Check you inner near side rear drive shaft
DTYME83

Left if your car is a right hand drive, better still just check your rear drive shafts for any leaks or breaks

Sounds like issues I have had with my S1 which is now in bits and off the road! Audi UK say I need a new clutch! It's wear and tear!

It happened to me @ 1000 miles
And it was the first time i pushed the car
So wear and tear seels impropable

I've seen the video link to my clutch and there is no signs of wear and tear! It's all really clean