Still searching for solution to mysterious steering noise S3 8P, any ideas?

berisen

Hi all,

So, I've had this steering noise issue since i bought the car about a year ago and it wont go away :disappointed:

You can hear the noise clearly in this video (make sure to turn up the volume to hear it better)

The first thing i did last summer was to change both upper strut bearings because that was the primary idea of a shop i went to for investigation but unfortunately it didn't change anything really. Since last summer the noise has been intermittent and been almost completely quiet for a long time but now it's back again. :expressionless:

Last summer i had the noise both when turning left/right but now it's only there when turning left.

A few bullets to describe the problem:
  • Only noticeable when turning left (in the movie linked above it's both sides but one is "fixed" now)
  • I can also hear it when breaking in slow speeds (probably because it's only then the wind/tire noise is low enough to be able to hear it)
  • Intermittent, some days it's almost quiet and sometimes it's really annoying.
I have been suspecting the CV joints but i'm not sure anymore. I think it might be some sort of bushing/bearing-thing that needs some grease, but where do i start to look? Could it be the suspension spring?

Anyone had a similar sound to their cars? What to do? Kind of driving me crazy :smilingimp:

Thanks!

DJ_26

Bit difficult to hear, but is it that weird constant whine when you were turning left?

berisen

I understand, i did a new version of the video with the sound amplified a bit. Don't know if it's easier to hear though, to me it's very clear. Especially from around 8 seconds to 14 seconds in this video. It's more of a knocking sound and it's very easy to hear. The problem is a lot worse now then this video was captured a year ago.

Any ideas? Is there any known issues that causes knocking sounds when turning? I know about CV joints but they look fine and no leakages etc. The sounds doesn't increase with speed, it's the same frequency with a slow knocking sound.

DJ_26

It may be best to get the car up on a ramp and give everything a good inspection, shake and prod with a pry bar to see if any bushes/components are worn. Sometimes a worn/loose anti-roll bar droplink can cause a knocking sound too.

berisen

Ok i'll try tha againt! I have tried to do that earlier but didn't find anything special but i''ll have better look.

It's really strange, it is like the spring seat is making noise when turning/braking or something like that. :/