Still massively undecided!! S3 or not S3? that is the question!!

sunscreemer

Back with the 4 rings
Reaction score
Well, having made the mistake of starting to look at new cars when mine just passed it's 2nd birthday i'm so torn as to what to do.

1. Upgrade to 330d xDrive M Sport Touring
+ seriously good/quick car
+ very practical
+ fairly economical
+ high discount offered
- negative equity partially offsets discount (although changing now avoid almost £1k of new tyres!)
- similar to what i have (320i xDrive M Sport Saloon)

2. Change for S3 Sportback
+ used to love my A3
+ good deal being offered (i think)
+ dealer working hard to limit negative equity situation (agree deal now for September delivery)
- potentially higher running costs
- possible bigger target for theft(?)

3. Sit tight for another 12 months or so
+ free of negative equity
+ see what model changes are around in that time (yes, that will ALWAYS be a case for waiting)
- got the bug now

I shouldn't have started looking!

As far as 1 and 2 are concerned you need to go for tests drives and although I know this is an Audi forum but to be fair on yourself try a Golf R too!
Then pick the one you find the best.

As far as number three I cant comment.......

As far as 1 and 2 are concerned you need to go for tests drives and although I know this is an Audi forum but to be fair on yourself try a Golf R too!
Then pick the one you find the best.

As far as number three I cant comment.......

I have test driven both (although for the S3 only a convertible was available). Both great in their own way. In terms of Golf R the interior compared to the S3 leaves a lot to be desired IMO.

I took the dive and ordered an S3 in February. I'm changing from a BMW too, a 325i Coupe. I also looked and test drove the 330d but in the saloon variant. It was a very good car. Truth be known, I'd have originally chose it over the S3 but for starters it was more expensive due to me wanting the m - performance gubbins. I was and still am a little worried about the desirability for the S3 being stolen but I can at least garage it out of sight. All in all, I don't think you can go wrong with either car.

Hmmm, decision may have just been made for me. Had agreed a deal on a near £40k car with £2k deposit, but just been told that on ordering Audi want 10% of total price, balance of which they can refund on collection. If I had £4k available now i'd offer £4k down as a deposit - had been planning to use any extra cash to pay off part of my existing BMW PCP early to avoid negative equity when mine goes in as part-ex. Had been wondering how much of the £2k they wanted up front, not expecting them to want more!

BMW accepted £500 deposit up front on ordering my current car.

I took the dive and ordered an S3 in February. I'm changing from a BMW too, a 325i Coupe. I also looked and test drove the 330d but in the saloon variant. It was a very good car. Truth be known, I'd have originally chose it over the S3 but for starters it was more expensive due to me wanting the m - performance gubbins. I was and still am a little worried about the desirability for the S3 being stolen but I can at least garage it out of sight. All in all, I don't think you can go wrong with either car.

£9k off list BMW are offering me and a lower APR. Yes, the car will not hold it's value as much as the Audi but it's a huge discount off list.

That's the difference. You're already in the system with BMW so the same precautions won't apply. I'm in a similar position now with Audi, as I'm already in a PCP with them the whole situation is quicker and easier with less penalty.

I paid no deposit with Audi. Although I am putting 4k down when I get it (car and a bit of my own money). I did have the option to put down whatever I wanted though. It was only that a bigger deposit brought my monthly payments down and I got a decent price for my BMW in part exchange.

Isn't that because theres a new/facelift 3 series just around the corner?

I paid no deposit with Audi. Although I am putting 4k down when I get it (car and a bit of my own money). I did have the option to put down whatever I wanted though. It was only that a bigger deposit brought my monthly payments down and I got a decent price for my BMW in part exchange.

I'd agreed in principle to £2k deposit - expecting them to want up to half of that up front on ordering, certainly not £4k up front!

Isn't that because theres a new/facelift 3 series just around the corner?

I reckon after the facelift you'd still be able to get maybe £6-7k off. The facelift helps a bit I think but they also have high Q1 targets. Facelift may include extra items as part of base spec. with only a nominal increase in list price too so on balance I don't think it will have a massive impact. Facelift only minor too, certainly on the exterior. It doesn't really need much of a "lift".

Its more than minor nose job - improved engines, improved interior quality and improved iDrive.

Depreciation will be horrific on the BMW regardless of discount.. Sounds like you have experienced this on your 320i already.....

Its more than minor nose job - improved engines, improved interior quality and improved iDrive.

Depreciation will be horrific on the BMW regardless of discount.. Sounds like you have experienced this on your 320i already.....

330d engine isn't getting changed though, but i am keen to see what interior changes are being made more than any exterior tweaks.

Surely if you chance from a 320 to a 330 it's going to be pretty similar with a bit more torque? Interior and feel will be similar, looks similar etc. I had the same issue and just couldn't stay with BMW, as from inside the car, it wouldn't feel as if it was that different to my current car and the new car experience and exploring new options etc would be watered down.

On that basis go for a different brand, especially if they can get rid of he negative equity.

Surely if you chance from a 320 to a 330 it's going to be pretty similar with a bit more torque? Interior and feel will be similar, looks similar etc. I had the same issue and just couldn't stay with BMW, as from inside the car, it wouldn't feel as if it was that different to my current car and the new car experience and exploring new options etc would be watered down.

On that basis go for a different brand, especially if they can get rid of he negative equity.

That's the main drawback really, the "30d" engine is awesome, but 95% of the time you're not using the power it's just me sitting in a car that looks pretty much the same as i have. The dealer has contacted me to say they're willing to accept a £1k deposit as they're keen to do a deal. The negative equity isn't a huge issue really. As it stands there's just over £3k but Audi happy for me to order now and collect in September, by which time there's estimated to be only just over £2k negative equity. I'd need to buy almost £1k in tyres which i'd save by changing then and so in effect it's then down to just over £1k which i'm happy i've got within the deal on the S3. The dealer has been good to be fair (they were terrible just over 2 years ago). I'm considering making a lump sum payment on the BMW now so that the equity issue is sorted and i pay less interest in the interim.

I'll be paying higher monthlies on the S3 so it's whether i think i can cover that plus the increased fuel cost. I'm getting 34mpg at the moment from the BMW so it'd be whatever I estimate i'll get from the S3 whilst also switching to using super unleaded - time to check out the mpg parts of the forum! I have typically got about +2mpg over the quoted urban figure on my last few cars but not sure if i'll manage that on the S3!

I had a very similar problem with the equity too and it should be just about neutral when I px. Tyres are also getting close to needing replacement at around £800, so factored that and the upcoming service into the figures when calculating how much the S3 is going to cost. I should be simialr on MPG and insurance so its a pretty much straight swap with a slightly higher monthly payment, mainly due to ordering extras.

Go for the S3!

I had a very similar problem with the equity too and it should be just about neutral when I px. Tyres are also getting close to needing replacement at around £800, so factored that and the upcoming service into the figures when calculating how much the S3 is going to cost. I should be simialr on MPG and insurance so its a pretty much straight swap with a slightly higher monthly payment, mainly due to ordering extras.

Go for the S3!

From a 135i to an S3 i thought you'd be in line to get a better mpg? I would have considered the M135i LCI but understand it's still not available with xDrive in the UK. S3 far better interior than the 135i though and unless you like drifting around a track i think the AWD better for everyday (all weather) road use.

I'm hoping that the S3 sportback would be capable of over 30mpg average. Capable being the operative word as i see mpg threads and some saying "not sure S3 the car for you if you consider economy" but i disagree - the idea is you have a car that is capable of decent economy and if you want to use it to it's maximum you disregard that. My old Focus ST and it's 2.5litre 5 cylinder was almost incapable of decent economy regardless of how you drove it and i'd be lucky to see 30mpg no matter how hard I tried - constant and costly fill ups! Makes it much less a risky decision if you know that if you want/have to you can drive your car sensibly and get good economy.

Yeh, I think mpg wise it may be slightly better. The '135i is getting good returns if you want and drive carefully. Had 38mpg to Birmingham and back last week mainly cruising at 80' but that was door to door.

Flip side to that this morning in stop start traffic to Manchester got 17mpg over a 5 mile run. I think the smaller engine of the s3 will be better there. The 3.0 lump doesn't like stop start driving.

You are right on the x drive for the m135i. It would be a good option with the x drive I think, but as an everyday driver, nicer looking and nicer interior, the s3 is ideal.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
I did 25 miles in 30 minutes the other day and DIS average was 29.9 mpg. Impressive as I was not hanging about !! :busted cop:

Most of the time it's averaging 35mpg and 45 mpg is the best I have had on a 125 mile run in Eco mode.

It should be slightly better than your 320i

I did 25 miles in 30 minutes the other day and DIS average was 29.9 mpg. Impressive as I was not hanging about !! :busted cop:

Most of the time it's averaging 35mpg and 45 mpg is the best I have had on a 125 mile run in Eco mode.

It should be slightly better than your 320i

Interesting. If I know it's no worse than the 320i then that's a major plus.

Reactions: Pulp84
As I said before sunscreemer.....my friend had a 320i until a few weeks ago and me getting my S3 was the final straw on top of the £18k depreciation in 18 months!

- MPG was near enough the same (if not in the S3's favour)

- His mildly loaded 320i M-Sport was £33k after discount. My S3 was £33.5k after a much more modest discount. Due to the woeful GFV my friend was paying £450 per month over 4 years where I pay £400 over 3 years. My deposit was £2.7k his was £5k.

- The S3 is wayyyyyy faster than the 320i.

You know the man maths make more sense on the S3 ;)

As I said before sunscreemer.....my friend had a 320i until a few weeks ago and me getting my S3 was the final straw on top of the £18k depreciation in 18 months!

- MPG was near enough the same (if not in the S3's favour)

- His mildly loaded 320i M-Sport was £33k after discount. My S3 was £33.5k after a much more modest discount. Due to the woeful GFV my friend was paying £450 per month over 4 years where I pay £400 over 3 years. My deposit was £2.7k his was £5k.

- The S3 is wayyyyyy faster than the 320i.

You know the man maths make more sense on the S3 ;)

Are you on commission? ;-) I've gone for quite a high spec - just under £39k for the car itself after discount. Overall package after discount including extended warranty, life shine etc is only £41 different than the BMW. Lower deposit due to equity adjustment (& would be delayed build for September collection) so I'd be paying just over £600/month. I would plan on making further lump sum payments to get the monthly down tho.

There is much evidence on this forum to suggest I am not the biggest S3 fan! I will defend it though on occasion......

It's a great car but it has it's flaws.....no different to any BMW.

I think your man maths is leaning towards the S3 though ;)

There is much evidence on this forum to suggest I am not the biggest S3 fan! I will defend it though on occasion......

It's a great car but it has it's flaws.....no different to any BMW.

I think your man maths is leaning towards the S3 though ;)

I need little encouragement really. I don't need anything quite as big as the BMW, S3 looks nicer IMO & interior is smarter. Just whether I can stretch to the higher payments for a while really. Then hope I'd want to keep the S3 for at least 3 years!

The man maths is strong in this thread!

TX.

Reactions: sunscreemer and Pulp84
The man maths is strong in this thread!

TX.

You guys are clearly a bad influence!

This is the man maths I like...
Count2 1325064a

Reactions: lucas-suisse
^^^^ I LOVE her

She is a total babe. I'd show her some man maths

Do you say things like that out loud in front of Mrs Pulp? :p

I've had 3 BMW's in a row and was looking to change so looked at an M135i (too uncomfortable, poor quality and ugly), M235i (no good as needed 4 doors), 330d/xd nice car and good engine but still fail to get excited about driving a diesel. Considered a 335i but very rare to find with a good spec and wouldn't buy one new. My dealer was looking to get me a 335xd to test drive, but at the time I popped into the Audi garage for a look at the S3.

Drove it, loved it, bought it and don't regret it. I think it makes a very good daily driver as long as you don't do very high miles.

Audi also gave me a better price for my BMW, though to be fair to BMW I hadn't got to the point of pushing them. I didn't use their finance but BMW had better rates if you do.

Do you say things like that out loud in front of Mrs Pulp?
Yes and I growl at the telly when she's on 9 out of 10 cats does countdown or whatever its called.

Grrrr........;)

I just know too she would prefer an S3 over an 330d :)

Reactions: veeeight
Rrcountdown
Yes and I growl at the telly when she's on 9 out of 10 cats does countdown or whatever its called.

Grrrr........;)

I just know too she would prefer an S3 over an 330d :)

I'd prefer her to either car TBH. If you're looking for something to get inside for a bit of fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: lucas-suisse, nickatkinson and Pulp84
I've had 3 BMW's in a row and was looking to change so looked at an M135i (too uncomfortable, poor quality and ugly), M235i (no good as needed 4 doors), 330d/xd nice car and good engine but still fail to get excited about driving a diesel. Considered a 335i but very rare to find with a good spec and wouldn't buy one new. My dealer was looking to get me a 335xd to test drive, but at the time I popped into the Audi garage for a look at the S3.

Drove it, loved it, bought it and don't regret it. I think it makes a very good daily driver as long as you don't do very high miles.

Audi also gave me a better price for my BMW, though to be fair to BMW I hadn't got to the point of pushing them. I didn't use their finance but BMW had better rates if you do.

I am doing just shy of 10,000 miles/year at the moment. Mainly a 17 mile commute down back lanes and through a few small towns mixed with fairly frequent 37 mile trips down to Birmingham airport.

I don't think mpg is much of an issue if you're buying a sporty or performance car? As there are much better alternatives if fuel consumption is a deal breaker.

I don't think mpg is much of an issue if you're buying a sporty or performance car? As there are much better alternatives if fuel consumption is a deal breaker.

I disagree to an extent - I want to know my car is CAPABLE of being economical, even if i don't drive it so. If fuel prices rose by 20% in 6 months time you'd be glad of being able to tone it down, whereas my old Focus ST was uneconomical whether you drove it like you stole it or like a nun.

I drove into London today M11/A406/A13, 35 miles in 1 hour 5 minutes with traffic in the usual places. I was showing 40MPG when I parked up (I did use the auto start/stop a bit). First time in the S3 and not bad I thought....

I drove into London today M11/A406/A13, 35 miles in 1 hour 5 minutes with traffic in the usual places. I was showing 40MPG when I parked up (I did use the auto start/stop a bit). First time in the S3 and not bad I thought....

That's pretty decent. Regardless of buying a performance car you'd be gutted if it did <20mpg in stop/start traffic or if you were on a cruise out somewhere. However if you want to have a spirited blast then to hell with the mpg to a certain extent.

Decision time looming. Deadline effectively a week on Saturday - or I take my chance on any deals available after that.

I'm sure you wouldn't regret buying one. I got what I think was a decent deal on mine.

Decision time looming. Deadline effectively a week on Saturday - or I take my chance on any deals available after that.

Are you normally this indecisive? Must take an age to select a shirt every morning....................:audibash:

Test drove a 335xd before I got my S3- I may well have ordered the BMW, but for me it's not the nicest looking car to be honest compared to previous a sport models. Engine wise it was fantastic

Then I had the S3 on demo- I knew as soon as I drove it that it was for me.

I have no doubt the Beemer is maybe more practical size wise/ bit better but on fuel but the S3 for me is the more complete car.