Still in Love with the RS3 or wanting something else?

Good choice a 2003 964, such a 'different' and pleasurable machine.

Modern Audis with 'auto' this-and-that modes are brilliant and flatter the driver sooooo much.

LESS for me is the fun way to go: and then back to a modern Audi for a reality check on 'just how good modern Audi car is to drive' on UK's hazardous roads.

I still 'sometimes/somedays' miss my Lotus Elans(s)... :racer:
Yeah, horses for courses as they say - I absolutely love the RS3 for the versitility of carrying 5 adults and luggage etc. - you can't do that in a 911! The 964 is a late 89 car - I just bought it in 2003 - so it's 30 years old next year! One of my mates used to have lotus esprits back in the late 80's and early 90's - I remember helping him repair the engine in one where the timing belt had snapped and bent a few valves.... ahh the good old days when you could work on a car with a haynes manual instead of a laptop!!

Reactions: D0C, DW81, NevMan and 1 other person
Yeah, horses for courses as they say - I absolutely love the RS3 for the versitility of carrying 5 adults and luggage etc. - you can't do that in a 911! The 964 is a late 89 car - I just bought it in 2003 - so it's 30 years old next year! One of my mates used to have lotus esprits back in the late 80's and early 90's - I remember helping him repair the engine in one where the timing belt had snapped and bent a few valves.... ahh the good old days when you could work on a car with a haynes manual instead of a laptop!!

Yeah, the timing belt on a 907 Lotus motor was a B I G problem; the head/camshaft block arrangement was such that the belt-loop would 'shrink' beyond the range of the auto-belt tensioner on sub 0ºC mornings and a 16-valve clatter would sound quite loudly on start up - which it obviously then didn't. I was more into the Elite than the Esprit:

2012 03 13 13

Jeeez, this is a long time ago photo: I'd just rebuilt the gearbox, another long time ago story; the Elite woud strip second gear with gleeee!

Reactions: DW81, TYb, c4pete and 1 other person
They had colour photos in those days? lol

Reactions: DW81, c4pete and 45bvtc
They had colour photos in those days? lol

Behave....
6349.gif

It was very much like this back then, Lotus cars everywhere:

Elite and Elans

Or a white one:

Image005MA29664140 0005

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and TYb
Yeah, the timing belt on a 907 Lotus motor was a B I G problem; the head/camshaft block arrangement was such that the belt-loop would 'shrink' beyond the range of the auto-belt tensioner on sub 0ºC mornings and a 16-valve clatter would sound quite loudly on start up - which it obviously then didn't. I was more into the Elite than the Esprit:

View attachment 166462

Jeeez, this is a long time ago photo: I'd just rebuilt the gearbox, another long time ago story; the Elite woud strip second gear with gleeee!

Amazing to look back at photos like this, how car design has changed over the years... what will we be driving in another 30 years?

Reactions: 45bvtc
Amazing to look back at photos like this, how car design has changed over the years... what will we be driving in another 30 years?

The Lotus Elite 'WAS' a proper 4-seater; I/we did a lot of miles with 4-adults and no complaints from the back; an amazing machine but typically Lotus.

Last edited:
Mate, you must have been seriously minted, those cars AND double garage! #RESPECT

I did, and still do, most myself; another archive photo:

GARAGE 0027xxx

I've been called an independent Basta*rd! by the BEST, more than once...
:yahoo:

When you don't have the £s but still want it then you'd best do it yerself. :superman:

Should have made it big enough for a 2018 SQ5, mind, tsk! :sadlike:

Reactions: D0C, DW81 and NevMan
Haha, loving the archive shots. And top Kevin Keegan cut there :icon thumright:
How were you to know cars were going to grow 50+% over the years.

Did you have planning permisison for that by the way....lol

Haha, loving the archive shots. And top Kevin Keegan cut there :icon thumright:
How were you to know cars were going to grow 50+% over the years.

Did you have planning permisison for that by the way....lol

Yes, and I did the drawings and application, too: you wanna see?

Just shows how cars have grown, width wise...

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan
Kevin learned sooooo much from me....

I’ve got to ask mate but you built a garage but are not a brickie and are knowledgable on cars and lotus’s. What line of work are/ was you in if you don’t mind?

Reactions: 45bvtc and NevMan
I’ve got to ask mate but you built a garage but are not a brickie and are knowledgable on cars and lotus’s. What line of work are/ was you in if you don’t mind?

Oh dear: an art student/layabout/snooker/darts player from 1959 to 1963.

Then a National Coal Board Engineering Apprentice for 3/5-years; then contract draughtsman/design engineer with industrial and marine diesel engines for 10+ years.

Worked in the Netherlands, China, Japan, in joint venture diesel engine manufacture.

Technical director for one marine engine company, then chief engineer/general manager for a car manufacturing company and responsible for 91/441 EEC emissions compliance, sorry; followed by technical operations manager for an acid recovery equipment manufacturing company - but that was oh so boring even though it meant working in Toronto, Canada, applying ISO9000 procedures; but to maintain some brain interest I created module Build Manuals for Westfield Sportscars.

I then moved on to creating animated instructions for rotary Wankel engines for use unmanned (UAV) military drones - in current RAF/USAF/IAF use...

Hands on (hobby/pastime) automotive Triumph/MG/Lotus/Marcos/TVR engineer for many, many, many more years. BIG 'C' stopped all of that!

Had a lotta fun on the way, primarily in Lotus sports cars; but I have sorted a lot of silly 8P RS3 issues along the way.

You did ask...

Not a CV, I don't wanna work for anyone else...

Last edited:
Reactions: CHEZ, DW81, Spaceman_RS3 and 1 other person
Oh dear: an art student/layabout/snooker/darts player from 1959 to 1963.

Then a National Coal Board Engineering Apprentice for 3/5-years; then contract draughtsman/design engineer with industrial and marine diesel engines for 10+ years.

Worked in the Netherlands, China, Japan, in joint venture diesel engine manufacture.

Technical director for one marine engine company, then chief engineer/general manager for a car manufacturing company and responsible for 91/441 EEC emissions compliance, sorry; followed by technical operations manager for an acid recovery equipment manufacturing company - but that was oh so boring even though it meant working in Toronto, Canada, applying ISO9000 procedures; but to maintain some brain interest I created module Build Manuals for Westfield Sportscars.

I then moved on to creating animated instructions for rotary Wankel engines for use unmanned (UAV) military drones - in current RAF/USAF/IAF use...

Hands on (hobby/pastime) automotive Triumph/MG/Lotus/Marcos/TVR engineer for many, many, many more years. BIG 'C' stopped all of that!

Had a lotta fun on the way, primarily in Lotus sports cars; but I have sorted a lot of silly 8P RS3 issues along the way.

You did ask...

Not a CV, I don't wanna work for anyone else...

WOW:thumbs up: That is some line of work and cv there

I love my rs3 and in feb I will have had it a year, I keep getting the gtr itch just to say Iv had and experienced owning one. Held off so far but time will tell

hey guys new here, im actually just getting ready to part out my 12' 135i to get into an RS3. kind of disappointed at some of the comments hah! im a heavy car guy love to mod and race, I do tons of 1/2 mile race events in the 135I but I want something that can actually put down 500+ whp without blowing the tires off. with bmw's they haul the mail from a roll when they are setup right but man they suck trying to race at a 1/8 or 1/4 mile track spinning into third gear. anywho ill keep lurking :)

hey guys new here, im actually just getting ready to part out my 12' 135i to get into an RS3. kind of disappointed at some of the comments hah! im a heavy car guy love to mod and race, I do tons of 1/2 mile race events in the 135I but I want something that can actually put down 500+ whp without blowing the tires off. with bmw's they haul the mail from a roll when they are setup right but man they suck trying to race at a 1/8 or 1/4 mile track spinning into third gear. anywho ill keep lurking :)
That's why I'm thinking of changing the rs3 because there's no skill needed in launching or driving it hard. It's missing the fizz in the pants.

Do it, amazing car tbf.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: V8bait and NevMan
How come?

M3 zcp is a stunning motor! I’d love one myself but don’t know if they are a bit too flash

Depends on colour etc Fraser, my M4 drew a bit more attention as it was Yas Marina blue, the M3 is mineral grey and flies under the radar a bit more. Anybody that knows there cars will know what it is but to the average public its just another bmw

Attachments

• b11bka.JPG
    b11bka.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 391
Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and FBF01
do love mineral grey :icon thumright:

Reactions: billyali86
I am considering coming back to the fold, I had the 8V S3 before my current BMW M2. I love the M2 and it looks so much more of an aggressive car. But in Irish/UK weather it takes so much concentration to drive in cold, damp and wet conditions it is also impossible to move off quickly without the back end spinning or loosing traction.
My only choice here in Ireland is between two saloons, Mythos or Nardo. I am not a huge fan of Black but I do wonder if Nardo will be one of those passing fad colours, a bit like my M2 in Long Beach Blue.

IMO nardo is this years in colour and next years dissapointment.

Black is timeless.

Reactions: DW81, RS3 4ME and illingworth22
I put my 16 plate RS3 in part ex 2 weeks ago for an SQ5. Hard decision to make but an on going lower back & trapped nerve problem ment it had to go. SQ5 is a very nice replacment however with loads of toys, RS3 was pretty well loaded aswell, but miss the sound from the Sport exhaust the RS had.

Reactions: NevMan and illingworth22
The RS I am looking at has not got the Sports Exhaust, I will however miss the sound of the M2.

................if you can find one with the sports exhaust it's well worth it. Was a must have when i was looking.:icon thumright:

There are only 2 RS3's in the country for sale here in Ireland. Neither have the Sports Exhaust. Is there much difference in the sound or performance?

There are only 2 RS3's in the country for sale here in Ireland. Neither have the Sports Exhaust. Is there much difference in the sound or performance?

My intital test drive in the RS3 was with a car without the sports exhaust, and having come from the Golf R, I was amazed at how good it sounded. When my RS3 turned up with the sports exhaust I couldn’t stop laughing to begin with, night and day! Don’t see why you’d get this car without it, turns everything up to 11. Must’ve IMO. Doesn’t mean you can’t go down the aftermarket route

My intital test drive in the RS3 was with a car without the sports exhaust, and having come from the Golf R, I was amazed at how good it sounded. When my RS3 turned up with the sports exhaust I couldn’t stop laughing to begin with, night and day! Don’t see why you’d get this car without it, turns everything up to 11. Must’ve IMO. Doesn’t mean you can’t go down the aftermarket route

Agreed. You'd be daft not to get it.

Although and as per the PCW exhaust thread you can mod the non sports exhaust to sound the same !

IMO nardo is this years in colour and next years dissapointment.

Black is timeless.
You might be right about Nardo and it being this years colour (but what a colour!), but it has been around a few years now and seems as popular as ever.

I'm a big fan of black cars...my previous three cars were black. They are a pain in the a55 to keep clean, though. Had my Nardo washed yesterday after over two months and it still looked ok!

You might be right about Nardo and it being this years colour (but what a colour!), but it has been around a few years now and seems as popular as ever.

I'm a big fan of black cars...my previous three cars were black. They are a pain in the a55 to keep clean, though. Had my Nardo washed yesterday after over two months and it still looked ok!

Yep i like black but had a few now.
Would have loved Graphite grey as in tbe VW colour, the audi Daytona is simply too common.
Next time round i reckon I'm gonna splash out on a custom colour !

Ready to scratch the itch....

I have managed to get an M4 for the weekend from BMW, they are even delivering it to me tomorrow! I will report back with my views for anyone that is interested.

Reactions: ChrisRS3, NevMan and voolooz
Ready to scratch the itch....

I have managed to get an M4 for the weekend from BMW, they are even delivering it to me tomorrow! I will report back with my views for anyone that is interested.

Nice... is that a test drive offer they have on? Any catches?

Nice... is that a test drive offer they have on? Any catches?

I think it's simply a who you know, It is a good friends Dad who sorted it out for me, no catches, just pay for fuel and don't put a stupid amount of miles on it,

I know of a few people who wanted an extended test in an M car and couldn't get one unless it was supervised.

I think it's simply a who you know, It is a good friends Dad who sorted it out for me, no catches, just pay for fuel and don't put a stupid amount of miles on it,

I know of a few people who wanted an extended test in an M car and couldn't get one unless it was supervised.

That rule me out then :tearsofjoy: not that I’m wanting to buy an M car... but wouldn’t have said no to a weekend of fun in one haha

That rule me out then :tearsofjoy: not that I’m wanting to buy an M car... but wouldn’t have said no to a weekend of fun in one haha

Haha, Sorry pal. Exactly, Growing up I ALWAYS wanted an M3, and seeing as the M4 is essentially the M3 coupe I just couldn't turn it down, I'm not actually going to swap out the RS3 yet, it would just be nice to know if the M4 is worth aiming for, or if as I think it is, the Rs3 is the better all round car.

Reactions: NevMan and Phil3
Haha, Sorry pal. Exactly, Growing up I ALWAYS wanted an M3, and seeing as the M4 is essentially the M3 coupe I just couldn't turn it down, I'm not actually going to swap out the RS3 yet, it would just be nice to know if the M4 is worth aiming for, or if as I think it is, the Rs3 is the better all round car.

Exactly... will be good to hear what you think when you’ve had a good drive of it mate :icon thumright:

Reactions: zaka7
Agreed. You'd be daft not to get it.

Although and as per the PCW exhaust thread you can mod the non sports exhaust to sound the same !

Was about to suggest that for £300 bangers

.............performance no ,noise yes !!!!. got to be one of the best sounding factory exhaust systems out there.

Reactions: Terminator x