Sticky Drinks Holder

juntz

Reaction score
Have you got any idea how im going to work my Drinks holder loose. Its jammed closed probably due to the fact that some fizzy pop has spilt on it and jammed it.?

This is also the case with my Air Con, a few of the buttons are firmly stuck resulting in my climate control being set at a bone crushing 19 degrees which granted its the so called summer right now so can live with it butgive it a couple of months it will be another story.

is there anything i could spray to loosen these or is there a way to get at the troublesome buttons etc?

tapping the cup holder for a while normally loosens it up (granted, you'll look like a complete numpty for a few minutes but it's easier than removing the dash to do it)

not sure about the buttons though

the dash piece that holds the cup unit apparently just clips out...... dont ask me how as never had to do it

I have the same problem with the cup-holder.. As Mike says, a firm prop or two (four or five...) usually sorts it out.

Not ideal, granted. But a minor issue for me right now

Jimmeh.. If you get a small flat head screwdriver or (if you have nails like a girl) flick of the dummy buttons by the esp and stick your fingers in, a gentle pull should have the piano trim off, Then you can get to the cup holder and the mech, now you need to get a can of WD40 with the long extending flexi nozzle have a look where it's sticking and spray a bit... i think they tend to stick on the piano trim too (where it comes out) so when you have that off consider giving it a good clean and rub down!!

You could try some IPA on both?...

I'd only consider doing that on the air-con switches if the power was most definitely off and could stay that way for a while too though. I'd avoid getting the cheapest stuff you can too, because it tends to stay wet for a looooong time. Obviously the other cautionary note is to use little bits and often rather than gallons of it at once...

Just a thought, no experience of using it for that though...

Regards,

Rob.

Isopropanol Alcohol...

It's good at cleaning things and then evaporating so as not to leave things wet which shouldn't be :) Commonly used to clean electrical devices...

Regards,

Rob.

And going a bit off topic... I just noticed your location... I'm sat on the car park at Fendrod Lake as I post... Head off down to the events section at the bottom of the index page and get lyrical about the proposed Welsh meetup ;)

...And if we can get something organised relatively quickly I can even put a tin of IPA at your disposal (Isopropanol Alcohol again, not the Brains beer!)

Regards,

Rob.

I would avoid putting a screwdriver near the piano black trim. I tried it and it ended up cracking a small piece from the trimming. Its fairly expensive to replace.

The safest way to remove the trim is to take out the radio. It gives you better grip to clip it off.

Keith

although the above are good i deas, for me i have managed to run a credit card around the cup holder to sort of free up any sticky ness then give it a good clean,

ben

Have you got any idea how im going to work my Drinks holder loose. Its jammed closed probably due to the fact that some fizzy pop has spilt on it and jammed it.?

This is also the case with my Air Con, a few of the buttons are firmly stuck resulting in my climate control being set at a bone crushing 19 degrees which granted its the so called summer right now so can live with it butgive it a couple of months it will be another story.

is there anything i could spray to loosen these or is there a way to get at the troublesome buttons etc?

Remove radio & pull top trim of then you can easily resolve the cup holder, easiest way overall & no damage to the trim etc as it is ****** expensive.

Safe fix for aircon is while radio is out, take picture of aircon front facing so u remember where buttons went as some are same size(easy mistake)remove the aircon unit with a little bit of pulling as held in with metal pressured clips & unplug all the looms at rear, 4 I think, it is held together with some torx screws & take apart carefully, remove the pcb, remove the front part from the buttons & give it a good clean on the inside of where the buttons sit, also each individual button, wait for 10 minutes for it to dry out then you know if it has any residual sticky bits on buttons, put buttons back with pcb to hold buttons firmly in place, but dont screw in place yet, try pushing buttons in & make sure none stick then replace the rear cover & screw back together or if still stick take apart again & clean as needed, then put all back with engine off of course or would throw up vag errors.

Take about 1 hour as a newbie with patients as dont wanna break those things as not cheap.

Had this on my mk4, for both frot and rear cupholders.

I the end I borrowed one of then steam cleaner things off a neighbour, it had a very fine jet of steam that you could focus on an area and it worked very well and freeing it all up, once open it's just a matter of cleaning the mech off.

Be careful with the front cupholder, it is pretty complex and fragile and horribly expensive if you break it.

I would avoid putting a screwdriver near the piano black trim. I tried it and it ended up cracking a small piece from the trimming. Its fairly expensive to replace.

The safest way to remove the trim is to take out the radio. It gives you better grip to clip it off.

Keith

I presume you did read my post? I didn't say take the pb trim off with a screwdriver, i said take the buttons off then pull the pb trim off with your fingers in the holes. As for cracking of damaging the pb trim you have no chance it's at least half inch thick. I really can't understand all this take the stereo out you don't need too

sorry are we actually talking about a face lift dash here?? If not i'm sorry, but if we are, really it's more hassle to have the stereo out than to have the pb trim off... Take a dummy button off and you will see it comes off so easy...

Thanks for your help guys i will have a go at tackling it tomorrow. its a facelift dash by the way.

FRACTION ONE- I will have a look at the events section right now, and just seeing your post regarding your location the other day, its quite funny because i work for HSBC and was sending that message from just the other side of the Fendrod lake lol.

Where do you live and do you have VAG Com? if so wouldnt mind meeting up to make sure she aint throwing up any codes.

Budgie, removing the radio is a piece of **** what you talking about fella, lol, clips in pull out easy peasy & unplug after confirming you have the radio code that is, lol, anyway then you can pull trim of just as easy, I have stupidly trashed my trim by mistake with a screwdriver when trying to remove many moons ago thats why I always would suggest the radio out job, the trim is ridiculously expensive for what it is & for sake of 30-50 squid I'd prefer to be more careful, dont know about you but I learnt the hard way, whoops, anyway you would have to run over it to crack the trim as you rightly say its solidly hard & its only 1/4 inch thick :moa: lol (I bet someone measures it now) lol

I am not to sure about steaming it out, condensation on any contacts would be my concern, sounds slightly dodgy, but if it worked for you then hey good plan, imagine telling a stealer that one, oh no the cars warranty doesnt cover steam cleaning damage sorry, lol, lol.

i cant beleive how many 'hits' this thread has had, its amazing...1000 and 1 ways of removing andor cleaning a cup holder

Marvellous!!

Personally if the drink holders stuck, sod it do as I did replace the car, lol, lol,

Well thats my excuse to her for new car, they dont make them cupholders anymore love, oh ok you can buy new car then, lol, lol

Ok now I need excuses to buy the S3 Sportback, come on then boys valid reasons that a women would think was fair (in other words the thickest things we can think of, lol, ah actually I might start a thread for that)

Nigel hello again! Lol, I understand what your saying but it's highly advised that when removing the hu your should do so by removing the glove box and pushing it from behind, the clips in the hu are very weak and if you break one by pulling the keys you will have one very stuck hu. I really can't stress how easy it is the other way, you don't even really need a screwdriver just a bit of your nail in the edge of dummy switch, they come off so so easy!

As for the new S3 how about telling her your car was having some work done by a garage but they cocked it up, so they gave you a new one to replace it!

Sorry to hijack the thread but on the topic of removing dash's and sorting broken buttons, some genius of a girl decided to push my heated seat button instead of roll it! Its about an inch back and i can just reach it with my finger. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get it out again??

yeah if its facelift then its a plug in module thats just come unclipped, take out head unit & then you can reach to rear of climate & push it back in, but as the clips are weak already just take climate out & remove the heated seats switch/dial & push the clips in a bit so they flex inwards then replace the dial module in place & it shouldnt unclip again, dont try from front you will end up doing more damage, trust me.

How thick can they be to push it if it has a dial, lol, lol

As for the new S3 how about telling her your car was having some work done by a garage but they cocked it up, so they gave you a new one to replace it!

:lmfao: classic she'd believe it aswell, actually she's not that blonde & the slight deficit of bank balance might give it away, need a new reason for the 20k+ gone from account now, lol, lol, ok so 2 excuses, 1 for car & 1 for missing money, lol.

Well my Heated seat switches are the wrong way round from when a previous owner re-wired it, so she thought it wasnt working and that you had to press it first....:lmfao:

She was a tad drunk so i let her off....just

cheers for the info i'll give it a bash this weekend, it always worries me taking clips off because they tend to be very fragile and snap!

If you're taking it apart it may be worth swapping them over so that they are the right way round.

No need to take any clips of, I mean the holes in the climate for the module to clip into, push them inwards a bit so when teh module clips into the holes it holds tighter & then doesnt get pushed out so easily fella, good luck.

What did they rewire?

J4jon - yup would be doing that coz it still confuses me sometimes haha

nigel - i see what your saying now, thats not so bad then. I think it was when they were installing the Parrot that he got "his wire crossed" so to speak.