Sticky Buttons (MMI)

TDubYa

Reaction score
2016, picked up a few weeks ago.

I took the car into the local Audi dealer for a couple of minor issues. The car is still under warranty so it made sense. One of them was the central dial wasn't sitting correctly.

Unfortunately, as they were inspecting the unit, they found that the previous owner had spilt a sweet drink on the unit. In the video they sent you can see residue under the unit. This has affected the MENU and BACK button below the wheel - but little else as far as I can tell.

Thing is, they are quoting £1000+ for a whole new unit. That is a lot of money for a couple of sticky buttons!

My question(s) are...
  • Would someone (a garage) be able to simply open up the unit and fix the buttons (rubbing alcohol for example).
  • Failing that, could the section itself be replaced? A quick look on eBay brings up something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123408462137. If this would work - would I be able to do it myself? Or would I be able to ask a service centre to do it?
I did call a couple of local garages. Both seem really reluctant to help. So I guess I would have to travel (Norwich based). I'm ok with spending some money on the problem. Just not £1000!

Thanks.

I'd make them repair it free under warranty, they sold you the car in that condition.

if its an approved vehicle then they should repair it under warranty. only issue is proving the problem was there when you purchased the vehicle.

audi have been excellent to me with my approved vehicle.

they replaced my piano black trim on mine as it was scratched

Agree, as they sold a car to you with a fault they are liable for the repair irrespective of how it was caused. ****** cheek trying to charge you for it...

Last edited:
I agree with others that your dealer should carry out the repair at no cost to you. However, your problem is proving that the car was in that condition when you bought it, not easy now that you'd have it for a "few weeks". This is where it boils down to trust.

If I were you, I would ask for a meeting with the Dealer Principal (if that's the correct terminology nowadays) and explain politely that this problem has existed during you full, though short, ownership. Tell him that you are looking forward to a long and healthy relationship with your dealer, based on truth and trust and that you expect them to put right a pre existing fault so that you can start off on a good footing.

Then, judge them on how they act.

Best of luck,

Martin.

Reactions: paul wev
Thanks everyone.

audi have been excellent to me with my approved vehicle.
It wasn't an Audi authorised dealer I brought it off. But, based on all your recommendations, I have called the dealer up and he has assured me that he is going to help me get the problem resolved. So that is great news.

If I were you, I would ask for a meeting with the Dealer Principal (if that's the correct terminology nowadays) and explain politely that this problem has existed during you full, though short, ownership. Tell him that you are looking forward to a long and healthy relationship with your dealer, based on truth and trust and that you expect them to put right a pre existing fault so that you can start off on a good footing.
I whole heartily agree with this approach. Keep people you need to support you on your side. And besides, the dealer seems a genuinely nice guy. There's no point kicking up a stink if I don't need to. It can be different if it's some faceless company. But when it's real people starting off being nice is the way to go.

****** check trying to charge you for it...
I would certainly agree with you if that were the case, but I perhaps wasn't clear - it was Audi who quoted me the £1000 for the replacement. Not the dealer. Still, quoting £1000 for two sticky keys does still seem to be somewhat cheeky!

So we shall see. I am certainly more positive now then when I got a video of my cars dash pulled to bits and a button to spend £1k next to it. Hopefully everything will be sorted. I'll let y'all know.

Thanks again.

Reactions: cuke2u
I see, thanks for clarifying this, we all hope the dealership sorts it out in your favour...

You could try switch cleaner.
You are so right there. I used to be a Merchant Navy Radio Officer and part of the standard radio room "toolbox" was Servisol, an excellent switch cleaner and I don't know why I didn't think to mention it here. It really is well worth a try. Get it here

Martin.

I had a similar problem in trying to prove a defect on my MMI

I reported a thread where the anti glare had come off on a small portion of my screen.

I took it to dealer this morning who said that the screen has been struck previously with a sharp object and that's why the anti glare has come away . They actually said that air had gone into the screen and had bubbled it. That's nonsense. It's clearly the anti glare that has come off

Anyway they want £1300 to repair as they will not do it under warranty

I am not that bothered now as you can't see it with the screen on

However I am have not hit the screen and no one else has driven it. I rarely have passengers as well.

It was either there when I purchaed the car and I did not notice it. Its hard to see when the screen is lit. Or it was done at dealer as they have had to replace trim on one occasion and also replace phone charging mat

However it's impossible to prove. They will simply say I must have damaged it

I reported a thread where the anti glare had come off on a small portion of my screen.

I took it to dealer this morning who said that the screen has been struck previously with a sharp object and that's why the anti glare has come away . They actually said that air had gone into the screen and had bubbled it. That's nonsense. It's clearly the anti glare that has come off

However I am have not hit the screen and no one else has driven it. I rarely have passengers as well.

It was either there when I purchaed the car and I did not notice it. Its hard to see when the screen is lit. Or it was done at dealer as they have had to replace trim on one occasion and also replace phone charging mat

Most frustrating, I feel for you.

Martin.

That's tough. You may be able to 'live' with it, but if you know you're not at fault it sucks. Looking around on this forum, it seems you get different mileage with different Audi dealers. Perhaps you have another near (enough) by?

Can't say I have had a great experience with the one here. A terse receptionist on the phone and a customer service manager who seems to lack in any empathy at all. Wasn't exactly pleasant. Wasn't easy to talk to. And wasn't receptive to questions. Perhaps if I had a fully tricked out A8 and bottomless pockets he may have been different...

might have found a lucky break - looking at some of the photos sent to me by audi Manchester the day before i bought the car.

i had asked the saleguy for details of the service history and he sent me a photo of the MMI screen and the defect that the technician yesterday noted on my screen is clearly shown in the photo.

Reactions: paul wev