Stereoo

.-Samuel-.

Reaction score
Hi all.

So i've been looking at stereos for a while now and still havent decided what to get.

I like the RNS-E but cannot justify £450 to then have to add an aux for an extra £50.

Im wondering if anyone else has any suggestions. I need either Aux,USB or Bt Music and ouputs for sub, prefrebly a screen.

Any help is appriciated.

Cheers

Sam

Have you looked at Android head units?

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive typos :)

Dynavin N6 Nav. Has all the connectivity you need and no extra bolt on costs. Your looking at £520, Just need to add the cost of your subs. It's a simple plug and play job and takes about an hour to fit.

Received the Eonon HU with a week delay due DHL fault (they shipped my package to a different country). Installed today. Than uninstalled until I decide to keep it or to return.

It works well and installation takes minutes. The sound quality is good and clear, but I think the Audi Concert has more bass. The radio reception was good and clear at my p-place. I didn't try it while driving though. All steering wheel controls worked out of the box.

I didn't try other features because when I decided to finally click the locks securing the device on it's place, I was unable to do that. The device looks good on a picture and it's solid when you hold it in hands, but something is wrong with the locking system. The locks don't seem as solid as the ones on Audi Concert (see picture). One lock clicks easy, another one on the same side was possible to click with some pressure on a front panel. I was unable to click both right side locks at all.

Audi Concert vs Eonon

How are you doing the wiring harness?
I was quoted over £200 to fit a new head unit. this was due to having a Bose setup, said i needed another loom to go to an amp, and another to make the steering wheel controls work....all these were £49.99, oh and as my radio signal is **** poor they said its blown the amp and be £129....madness.
So who has order what and it all works fine?

The wiring is easy with Eonon. I connected the canbus quadlock directly to the unit and audi's OE double fakra to unit's one. As it turned on, everything worked just fine, inclusive steering wheel controls. I didn't notice any issues except too black front face color that didn't match audi's dash and bad brackets/locks that I was unable to click on place. I would modify the brackets or find another way to fix the unit on its place if the front face color was same as audi's. But I didn't want to ruin the look of my car interior by putting something that didn't fit well. That's why I packed the unit and am going to return it tomorrow.

As to what works fine, read this (Xtrons) tread: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/android-rns-e.248150/ A lot of knowledge and support is there. All the troubles, both with and without Bose, were solved. What you need to buy to make it work and how you need to do it is explained with links and pictures. People are happy. I'm the next one to Extrons :)

or just try luck at your local breaker or ebay for fair cond. original used one.

Well, I placed an order at Xtrons UK store for a head unit, PF75AA3ARP (a new model with TPMS sensor support) and an OBDII scanner.
As I learned from this tread, I would need noise suppressors and possibly a line converter. What would be your suggestions if I wanted to avoid unnecessary expenses? I want to add things gradually.

I can't avoid using the noise suppressors, can I? Did everyone have engine whine/light buzz noise issues? Do I need two sets of noise suppressors (for front and back speakers)?

I've got a non-Bose system. Did everyone with non-Bose have the "rear speaker" issue? Should I buy a HiLo converter anyway or should I rather wait and see what happens?

And a less clear to me: If I install a HiLo converter, do I need the noise suppressor/s anyway or does the HiLo converter eliminate the noise as effectively as the noise suppressors?

Well, I placed an order at Xtrons UK store for a head unit, PF75AA3ARP (a new model with TPMS sensor support) and an OBDII scanner.
As I learned from this tread, I would need noise suppressors and possibly a line converter. What would be your suggestions if I wanted to avoid unnecessary expenses? I want to add things gradually.

I can't avoid using the noise suppressors, can I? Did everyone have engine whine/light buzz noise issues? Do I need two sets of noise suppressors (for front and back speakers)?

I've got a non-Bose system. Did everyone with non-Bose have the "rear speaker" issue? Should I buy a HiLo converter anyway or should I rather wait and see what happens?

And a less clear to me: If I install a HiLo converter, do I need the noise suppressor/s anyway or does the HiLo converter eliminate the noise as effectively as the noise suppressors?
Let me know how you get on with this stereo, looking at getting this one.

If you don't have Bose you don't need any of those things it's just plug and play. You just have to fade the sound settings to the rear a little and there is a hidden factory settings menu that you need a pin for where you can increase the volume for the rear speakers.
The alternator whine/interference is on the Bose systems

Thank you guys. Honestly, my last post should be for another tread :) I'll re-post it there as well.

Let me know how you get on with this stereo, looking at getting this one.
Just wanted to say that Xtrons HU is good enough when it is fully started, but it freezes when you try to run multiple apps. Also, despite you see the home screen fast enough after it powered on, it doesn't matter you can effectively use it. Mine just doesn't respond or responds with delay on any soft or hard button taps while various apps and services start in the background. For instance, if soon after the HU start I play music and use the steering wheel buttons to make it louder or quieter, it can take many seconds till it really happens. Google Maps froze a few times during a 25 km long trip today. Sygic is even slower, I have no patience to wait it starting. 1 GB of memory isn't enough, so try to get a HU with 2 GB at least.

Just wanted to say that Xtrons HU is good enough when it is fully started, but it freezes when you try to run multiple apps. Also, despite you see the home screen fast enough after it powered on, it doesn't matter you can effectively use it. Mine just doesn't respond or responds with delay on any soft or hard button taps while various apps and services start in the background. For instance, if soon after the HU start I play music and use the steering wheel buttons to make it louder or quieter, it can take many seconds till it really happens. Google Maps froze a few times during a 25 km long trip today. Sygic is even slower, I have no patience to wait it starting. 1 GB of memory isn't enough, so try to get a HU with 2 GB at least.
Thanks for the reply, I will certainly look into this when I decide to purchase a different HU. I really want to be able to get Bluetooth in my car for calls and for music. To change song I have to go on my phone and manually change it so hoping I can hook the HU up to the steering controls on the steering wheel. The maps will also help instead of using maps on iPhone.

Thanks for the reply, I will certainly look into this when I decide to purchase a different HU. I really want to be able to get Bluetooth in my car for calls and for music. To change song I have to go on my phone and manually change it so hoping I can hook the HU up to the steering controls on the steering wheel. The maps will also help instead of using maps on iPhone.
Bluetooth works best then anything else in this HU :) Once connected, it works automatically like a charm. The mic isn't the best one compared to the OE, but it works. You have to speak a little louder, but not too louder.

Bluetooth music works well using A2DP app. I tested it today with my phone music player, Audible and Kindle. You even don't have to take your phone off your pocket if you don't need to change a player. When you start the A2DP app, it plays from what was used on your phone last. If you, for instance, listened to an Audible book, the A2DP app connects to it and plays from a place you stopped your book. If you listened music on a music player, the A2DP app will play it. If you want the A2DP to play from another music source of your phone, only then you have to open your phone and choose what to play. Also, when you adjusting EQ settings on your phone, you hear it on the HU. The steering wheel controls work with A2DP app as well. You can change tracks for and back on your music player, scroll to next/previous paragraph on Kindle audio or scroll 30 seconds forward or back on Audible app. I didn't try other apps, but I believe it should work the same.

Google Maps work, but as I said before, more RAM (2GB) would be handy.

Reactions: Dannymoto
The newer units come with 2GB of ram and faster CPUs, so this sort of stuff should happen less... I still use an older Joying RNSE lookalike with 1GB and it's not too bad on start, but yeah you do get some lag initially. I'm using a Malaysk ROM which seems to help it a bit too.

I bought my Xtrons in December, the latest version. It has 1Gb.

I tried Malaysk ROM, used it a week and removed. It felt too slow and I disliked the way they painted the apps (radio, music, etc). There is another, lighter, ROM available. A guy stripped out everything he didn't need. That made it work faster. I didn't try it though. I found and installed the factory rom for my device (GS), than updated it to the last version. I don't have time to play with it now.

I use Mtcdtools to add the left side buttons steering wheel control for Poweramp.

I always run a heavy app when I drive and if I need navigation, I have to start the HU in time to let all the apps that do their things in background start. It would be nice to have a possibility to don't let the HU power off longer, 24 hours for instance. I watched a video demonstration of a xdAuto Rom and one on the features I noticed was such a possibility.

Yeah, he does make an ugly ROM lol... I just switch the launcher for something else.

Xtrons have the latest Android 6 units now and these come with pretty good spec and updated UI. I'm holding out for the RNSE looking unit with latest spec and OS. I really hope they sort out the need for MTC tools for media buttons though... I tried contacting their support, but they are being weird about it.

I also got one at Christmas. Far too slow and was pretty much useless with an iPhone, bought a pioneer CarPlay unit and its been everything I was hoping the xtrons would be

Yeah, he does make an ugly ROM lol... I just switch the launcher for something else.

Xtrons have the latest Android 6 units now and these come with pretty good spec and updated UI. I'm holding out for the RNSE looking unit with latest spec and OS. I really hope they sort out the need for MTC tools for media buttons though... I tried contacting their support, but they are being weird about it.

I use Car Launcher Pro with a second skin (on image).

The only extra spec I think of is more RAM. I saw on a Russian forum that a guy bought and soldered larger memory chips, but I don't have access to a BGA soldering equipment since I was fired from my old job many years ago.

Did you manage to setup a MODE button? I can't setup it even with MTCTools. I'd like to make it browse through the opened apps instead if pre-programmed apps that I never use (radio/dvd/stock music player, etc).

I also got one at Christmas. Far too slow and was pretty much useless with an iPhone, bought a pioneer CarPlay unit and its been everything I was hoping the xtrons would be
Would you mind sharing some images of it in the dash? I watched a promo video at Pioneer's. Is it really as great as they picture?

Here's my Xtrons launcher.

Xtrons Head Unit Audi A3

I'll get a couple of photos in the morning for you, I bough one for our golf then got one for the a3 too, maps are good, Bluetooth is very good, music streaming over bluetooth is good, CarPlay works very well, just plug the phone in then all the CarPlay stuff comes up on the dash, very easy to use

Do I understand it right that the Pioneer frame ends with the chrome trim and the shiny black frame around it is the surround?

For the same reasons I'm part way through install an nexus 7 into my 8p with the headunit installed in the glovebox

Yep ends at the chrome trim, then there's a piece
that fills the gap, then the fascia adaptor
Is there a facia adaptor that fits a 7" head unit without a gap filler?
For the same reasons I'm part way through install an nexus 7 into my 8p with the headunit installed in the glovebox
I never heard of this type of HU before. How does that work?

Nexus 7 is an android tablet with a 7" screen. I've installed a Sony N5000bt headunit into the glovebox which has usb input for audio and charging as well as Bluetooth

I don't you can get a fascia adaptor that does away with the gap filler as the cage has to butt up against the fascia to hold everything in place

Hey, long shot from a forum newbie,

Does anyone have experience of removing the xtrons units from an A3? I installed one myself but I need to send it back due to a fault and I can't seem to release it. Tried the original Audi keys and some slightly longer ones to no avail - the xtrons tech support don't appear to be able to help?

Thank you!

Hey, I believe this question was replied somewhere in this tread. Removing buttons cluster/trim from below the xtrons givs you better access. Also, are you sure you turned the keys the right way? The straight side of the key should be turned differently at the upper and lower part of the head unit.