Stereo Options

b19ctr

The King of Cannock
Reaction score
Well I pick my B7 S4 up on Saturday. Its got a Symphony head unit and Bose just wondering am I best going for an RNS-E or go for an aftermarket unit with CarPlay like the Kenwood DMX7017DABS or Alpine iLX-700.

Has anyone gone for one of these aftermarket head units? Got any pics of it installed and whats the sound like?

Cheers Chris

Well I pick my B7 S4 up on Saturday. Its got a Symphony head unit and Bose just wondering am I best going for an RNS-E or go for an aftermarket unit with CarPlay like the Kenwood DMX7017DABS or Alpine iLX-700.

Has anyone gone for one of these aftermarket head units? Got any pics of it installed and whats the sound like?

Cheers Chris
Go Kenwood/Pioneer if i was you mate. More bang for buck. You could save a packet if you fit it yourself. I wasn't able to but no regrets about a Kenwood with removable faceplate.

I bought my S4 with the RNS-E head unit fitted. It didn't have Bluetooth though which I wanted. After doing a bit of research I came to the conclusion that I'd be better off fitting an aftermarket head unit. I'd looked at a few cars before finding the one I bought and one that I test drove which was very close to being 'the one' had a Pioneer AVIC head unit fitted and I was impressed with it. I ended up buying a newer version, the AVIC-F80DAB and I've not been disappointed. DAB, Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay all work really well and with the correct wiring adaptor is controlled via the multifunction steering wheel.

IMG 0046
IMG 0041

Reactions: b19ctr
A few photos showing the installation. I wanted to have everything routed properly and hidden from view. The DAB aerial is as descrete as possible against the A pillar. The microphone is installed in the interior roof light panel as per OEM.

I changed to a pioneer and its been excellent, tried an alpine first and wasn't impressed , pioneer has been 1st class.
IMG 20161120 113229 2

They both look great think I'll go down the same route cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with this pioneer as it was a great spec and the BT was well rated , and it came along at a really good price.
works a treat with my 5s iPhone as do all the steering wheel functions.
DVD playback is 1st class aswell, added to the full bose in my old bus and it's A1 for me.

I'm thinking of going this route as I have the mk1 rns-e. It has Bluetooth calling but I'd love Apple car play, DAB and Bluetooth streaming.
Question I have is will I lose most of the functionality of the multi function display in between my speedo and rev counter?? I quite like all the info on there. I'm guessing I'll lose radio station, track info, caller name and sat nav directions??

I'm thinking of going this route as I have the mk1 rns-e. It has Bluetooth calling but I'd love Apple car play, DAB and Bluetooth streaming.
Question I have is will I lose most of the functionality of the multi function display in between my speedo and rev counter?? I quite like all the info on there. I'm guessing I'll lose radio station, track info, caller name and sat nav directions??
I don't get the radio info and track info by the speedo etc.
3be8ddfca22655475970661a6acc7e2e.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I assume if you move from rnse you don't get directions on the dash

I assume if you move from rnse you don't get directions on the dash
I personally don't with Kenwood but the dash screen is tiny so I haven't even thought about it. Aftermarket like pioneer or Kenwood for me have way more features than the rnse.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately you do loose the directional info in the dash.

hey all, picking this one up a bit late, but any one got any recommendations for a double din head unit that retains the dash info? not crucial but i've grown to like it and want to try and keep things as close to original as possible, but also update the head unit as the screens gone fuzzy down one side too...no BT etc.