Stereo nightmare wiring!!

mjsummer

Reaction score
Ok so after having someone wire up the new dvd gps single din to the audi a4 cab 55 plate 1.8t. The problem with the rear amp came to light.
Some advice from Andy Mac helped out thanks.

So after using the right connector you have power to door speakers and the rear speakers, but they sound crap now. So i figure i'll find the amp in the boot(yeah as if!) and switch a new amp in there wire it up and of you go! After a day of taking my car apart the amp still is nowhere to be found! I had the rear inside door panels off and access to the speakers. lining out of the boot but nothing
? I will atempt to wire the rear speakers straight to the head unit and forget the amp and the wires from it wherever it is! So i can get to the rear speakers ok but need to find the door speakers to run them through as well.then i'm guessing is it easy to take any of the dash off to help?? It would be great if there were a how to forum somewhere? diagrams would be great i've seen them for other cars is there one out there?

Ok rant over for now . Lets see how tomorrow goes !
Martin

Unless you have Bose, the door speakers run directly off the HU already, so no need to rewire them

All Audi's have amped rear speakers. I was talking about the door speakers in a cabrio i.e. the front speakers. As far as I'm aware Audi don't make a 4 door cabrio

Really ? My B6 saloon had a separate amp for the rear speakers and it didn't have BOSE...

All saloon & avants with non-bose systems have the front speakers powered off the head unit, with the rear off the the AMP. All Bose systems have the logo on the speaker grills and all speakers are powered off the AMP. However it's not imposible that the door cards have been changed due to an interior swap, so no logo's on the grills.

All Audi's have amped rear speakers. I was talking about the door speakers in a cabrio i.e. the front speakers. As far as I'm aware Audi don't make a 4 door cabrio

Ah my bad, didnt spot he has a Cab.... just been and checked and yes my cab also has just the 2 doors :) Heeeeeeeee

The door speakers (front doors lol) work as the same as in back seats only when the reg plug on the hu is plugged in
Do they come to life? So on the same cable as the rear?? The front speakers ie in the top of the door(small corner speaker think tweeter?) and the ones on the dash on the top by the front windscreen. work as the front speakers not off the amp but straight to the hu ? I thought that was a half amplified set up? Still no luck in finding the amp anyway!! Thanks for the replies the forum has been an amazing help (Andy!)

The front door speakers are 2 way components = the mid woofers in the doors and the tweeters
The rear speakers are in the rear
The centre speaker in the dash runs off the front speaker harness as well and should just be disconnected as its hopeless for music
Don't really understand your last post, are you saying the front tweeters run off the HU and the mid woofers are wired to the rear amp?
That certainly isn't correct and sounds like a previous owner has screwed around with the wiring

The door speakers (front) at the bottom of the door (round speaker mesh on it) work with the rear speakers . So when you unplug the red connector those 4 speakers stop . The remaining ones just in front of the windscreen on the top corner of the dashboard and the small ones attached to the door in the part of the door next to the wing mirror , work as the front speakers . So 4 front and 4 rear ? Is that not right ?

So there are no actual rear speakers, so I guess that must be correct on the cabrio

So today I wired the rear speakers direct to the head unit but it didn't sound as food as I'd expect it needs a amp
After all! The amp and sub are still in there somewhere as you can hear the front door speakers that stay on for a few seconds more till the blue wire connecting them to a amp switches off. It's just a muffled noise but there. So if anyone really actually knows where this amp is I'd be surprised!! Why don't he small
Jobs always take forever!

are you using a loom adaptor? I put a kenwood in my last a4 cab and the loom adaptor made it difficult to get the speaker wiring wrong as the plugs would only fit in the correct sockets.... as already said the front speakers (woofers in doors, tweeters in dash) powered from the head unit and then a pre-out to the amplified rear and sub.... now getting a 12v switched supply was another story altogether.........

Yes using a loom
Adaptor but maybe not the right one! It has the front speakers on one adaptor and on another phono leads for the rear?
To be honest I'm done with it ! It sounds bad and was hoping this wouldn't take long! Arrrghhhh!