Steering wheel wobble at high speed

Chris128

Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=83351) but I dont think the two are related now so I figured I would just post a separate thread and see if you guys had any thoughts on this issue as well :)

Basically when I get to about 70 mph I start to feel the steering wheel shaking a little and it continues up to about 100 mph (not that I go that fast on public roads of course :yes: ). It seems to be a lot more noticeable in 5th and 6th gear though - in 4th gear at 70 mph I cant feel it.

I have been doing a bit of searching and came accross these two threads which seem to be the exact same thing:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=545676
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?p=831746

However, one seems to have been resolved by A LOT of attempts at wheel balancing but the other thread indicates that wheel balancing did not help and that it is probably the tyres themselves that are the problem.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I take it to Bush Tyres near me and ask them to do the wheel balancing or should I just look at getting some new tyres? Also, as I only bought the car a week ago, do you think there is any way I can demand that the dealer sorts this out?

Cheers
Chris

Get the wheels balanced mate. It'll cost 20 quid to do all four. If you're still have problems then get back to us but I don't think you need to think about replacing your tyres!

If the wheels are out of balance then:
1. the judder would be purely speed dependent and nothing to do with what gear you are in
2. the judder would consistantly happen at a set speed, over or under that speed the judder would fade away. i.e. 60-70mph is the usual speed to experience wheel wobble, but you wouldn't get it at 90 as well.
Same theory as point 1 with the tyres as well.
Can't hurt to get them balanced as it's cheap and reassuring, but my money would be on a worn ball joint or similar on the steering arms. This would also cause uneven tyre wear if it's not addressed so it could be a combination of both. I would definately take it back to the dealer to sort as it's their responsibility and if it is a worn suspension then they need to change the tyres as well.
Does it do it at 80 when accelerating and/or braking? Does it do it whether you are in gear or out of gear?

Point 1 is true, but it would be more noticeable at higher speed because the wheels would be wobbling more the faster they move.

Not actually true. Wheel wobble occurs at the resonant point of the unbalanced wheel, so will only be present at a set speed. Under or over that speed by 5-10mph and it disappears.

as already said first route with wheel wobble is to get both front if not all four wheels rebalanced preferably with a digitial machine rather than analogue...

again as said incorrectly balanced wheels will mostly be noticable between 60-80 under and over that the wobble will become unoticeable...

if it does get worse then could be a wheel bearing issue...if you vague steering then this could be steering ball joint related...

basically if your wobble is still there after rebalancing take it to an MOT station and ask them to do a check on the front wheel and suspension units for any play and then repost...

I disagree that unbalanced wheels cause wobble at speeds between 60-80. In Germany I found it at 90+ one time.

OK I went and got my wheels balanced at the weekend at Bush Tyres near me - no difference really. I think it might be a little better on some roads but on the 4 different dual carriageways that I go on to work its still there :(

Do you think its worth taking it somewhere else to get them to do the wheel balancing or is it likely that its the actual tyres or something else?

Thought we'd already established that it wasn't the balancing or the tyres.
On a side note the more unbalanced the wheels are then the lower the speed needed to induce the wobble. If they are just ever so slightly out then the wobble will be induced at a faster speed i.e. 90+ instead of the typical 70mph.

I would of gone balancing 1st as cheapest & usually this, then would of checked the suspension & associated parts for any play as my top mounts on my 54 plate were shot & once I fitted new the knocking etc went away, wasnt to expensive route for those either.

OT: Andy any chance of input in this thread please given you handle speakers daily & know the 8P fairly well in this area, any experience on 8P of water on them, tahnks in advance.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=84151