Steering wheel silver trim paint flaking..

CanadaA3wales

Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP
Reaction score
Hey

Here is a picture of my wheel, well its not my wheel but its the same type and as you can see it has silver rings which look very delicate and you would not be able to remove them without them breaking, also they dont sell replacements.

All the surround and rings have started to flake and you can see this very ugly yellow plastic underneath the silver, and its doing my head in as I see it on every drive.

Does anyone have any knowledge of some silver type craft pens that may cover the plastic again ?

You can buy a square surround cover from china, but the rings cannot be bought anywhere, so I only have 2 options.

1. Buy a brand new steering wheel and have it fitted, which seems unreasonable considering its only a couple plastic bits.

2. You can buy paint pens which are used for craft, but I am not sure which ones may adhere to plastic.

Anyone had any dealing with these surrounds and getting them back to silver?

Attachments

• Wheel.jpg
    Wheel.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 442
If you mean the 4 rings, it's on the airbag & pens won't work as it's plated plastic.

Ideally replace the airbag or remove airbag, strip down, remove rings, sand & spray or wrap, then refit.

Can you just get a cover for it, I thought it was a whole unit?
Don't try and perform surgery on an airbag please, seek a replacement unit. You may be able to get the cover off in order to replace but given that 1) this is a safety device and 2) its packed with explosives would you really want to risk it?

Nah I'm not Alex, and fully aware of the bomb to my face :wtf::tearsofjoy:

Just looking to try replace or find a cover.

I've seen covers on ebay, but they are round or for the Q8.

I was hoping a silver paint pen would work which is the easiest option, for 2.00 I may still give it a try.

Its one of those little things that are in your face and aware of it all the time.

I've removed covers & reaffixed new ones quite safely with new identical rivets, for clients that had the same problem, never had one issue in many years, so based on my experience you shouldn't have a problem mate, but ideally as I've suggested already find another airbag as it's much less hassle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I've removed covers & reaffixed new ones quite safely with new identical rivets, for clients that had the same problem, never had one issue in many years, so based on my experience you shouldn't have a problem mate, but ideally as I've suggested already find another airbag as it's much less hassle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Yeah but are they not like £200.00+ and then you have to reset some stuff on the computer?

I dont think a little paint flaking is worth all that money, unless its a lot cheaper than I think it is ?

Thanks for all your help, its really appreciated!!

Lol clearly enough for you to post on the forum mate, we're all anal Audi driver's, comes with the territory unfortunately lol.

If new airbag is too much, then remove the cover & either paint the rings or replace the cover & rivets.

Lol clearly enough for you to post on the forum mate, we're all anal Audi driver's, comes with the territory unfortunately lol.

If new airbag is too much, then remove the cover & either paint the rings or replace the cover & rivets.

LOL Very true, everything has to be as such and nothing else will do.

Where so you think I can buy the cover from as they dont sell them on ebay?

I dont have a issue removing my cover, but what I am worried about is snapping the Audi rings as they look very fragile

Well trying my first choice, an acrylic oil based silver paint pen, it says it will stick to glass and plastic and its only £2.50 on amazon with 5* ratings

I will take a before and after if it works.

Will take some doing to mask off the rings, but will do the surrounds first to see if it works.

Who knows, may help a lot of people with the same issues.

If not will just have to keep my eye out for a cover on ebay

Well I have ordered a black alactantra airbag cover with gloss black rings and surround and red stitching.
Seems a decent price for 138.00 all in
All road legal, and they have deployed airbags with their covers to ensure they comply with road safety.
They do custom steering wheels and lots more if you want to check them out. They seem very top quality and great reviews.
Bergtuning They are on instagram as well for all pictures.

Cant wait to get it fitted.
Will show you a before and after.
You can see the one I have is in terrible condition.

Upload 2021 2 10 14 18 48