Steering wheel retrim

Yega

Born To Play!
Reaction score
Just booked myself in to get my steering wheel retrimmed with Jack @ Royal Steering Wheels (http://royalsteeringwheels.com/) in couple of weeks. Will post pictures once done and fitted :D

Not done anything on the car for ages so quite exciting about getting something new :)

Reactions: S3Alex
He knows his stuff, I'm sure you'll love it :)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Had my old bmw e46 wheel done off him, amazing work and what a difference. Went for a slightly thicker re-trim.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

Yeah, I went for a full alcantara retrim over original leather to get a slightly thicker wheel than stock S3. Needs extra care to maintain than other leather options, but it feels so nice!

8cbed8e9fb326f4c76039be816021c31.jpg

Reactions: nil538, mookster, Hookmonster and 3 others
Yeah, I went for a full alcantara retrim over original leather to get a slightly thicker wheel than stock S3. Needs extra care to maintain than other leather options, but it feels so nice!

Ohhh sorry but that is sexy

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

I was at the car show few days ago and i saw golf gti club sport ( among other great cars) it had lots of alcantara parts inside, but the feel of alcantara steering wheel is something special :wub:

Jack has done my wheel as well. Waiting for it to arrive and I'm getting fairly excited.
Should get it on Monday.
Also I changed to the s1 gear knob for a sportier look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks quality! How long did this take mate?

Looks quality! How long did this take mate?
I think it took him a couple of weeks to source materials and retrim and identical one. I then drove to him and he replaced the wheel and buttons within a few minutes.

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive typos :)

I went for alacantra top and bottom and on the sides I've asked for perforated leather. I do like the feel of alacantra but as you said its a lot more maintenance to keep it looking nice and as I mainly drive holding the sides I shouldn't be using it as much, if that makes sense.

Also gave him the gear gaiter to do in alacantra. Can't wait!

Reactions: HHS3
f4b4469e84d433285fcf7d29a9011b1a.jpg

Nice job Jack!
Bad picture though...

Reactions: nil538, mookster, downtothebone and 2 others
I've had booked mine in yesterday at Royal steering wheels. To have it retrimmed with perforated sides and red and silver stitching. Can't wait

I went for alacantra top and bottom and on the sides I've asked for perforated leather. I do like the feel of alacantra but as you said its a lot more maintenance to keep it looking nice and as I mainly drive holding the sides I shouldn't be using it as much, if that makes sense.

Also gave him the gear gaiter to do in alacantra. Can't wait!

Sounds good, make sure to upload some picks once you've had it all done!

That looks top notch mate, I'm going for that setup too with perforated leather sides, nappa top & bottom, silver stitching but then potentially thinking about a red strip at the top as well.

Reactions: Spinstorm
Sounds good, make sure to upload some picks once you've had it all done!

That looks top notch mate, I'm going for that setup too with perforated leather sides, nappa top & bottom, silver stitching but then potentially thinking about a red strip at the top as well.

Thanks to Jack at royal steering wheels.
Looks great and also feels great! Best mod for sure.

f4b4469e84d433285fcf7d29a9011b1a.jpg

Nice job Jack!
Bad picture though...

So what exactly did you get done - prefer this to the Alcantara ... Just think an Alcantara only steering looks out of place if nothing else is trimmed in the same way. I like a consistent style.

So what exactly did you get done - prefer this to the Alcantara ... Just think an Alcantara only steering looks out of place if nothing else is trimmed in the same way. I like a consistent style.

I had it re trimmed with perforated leather on the sides and smooth leather on the top and bottom.
Slightly thicker wheel and with silver stitching.

Can he retrim other parts or only steering wheels?
I'm sure he can. I'm getting my gear gaitor done in alcantara as well.

UPDATE: My retrim has been delayed as Jack is unwell at this time, so waiting to hear back.

What kinda prices does he charge if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kinda prices does he charge if you don't mind me asking?

From what I've seen and depending on what materials you go for, it can range from £130 - £160 for a steering wheel re-trim.

Reactions: downtothebone
Haha that's not as bad as I was expecting! Might have to be cheeky here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha that's not as bad as I was expecting! Might have to be cheeky here

Yeah I thought the same when I heard about it, so will definitely be getting mine done when I have the funds!

From what I've seen and depending on what materials you go for, it can range from £130 - £160 for a steering wheel re-trim.
Yup, around those prices. Its very reasonable for what it is.

Not a fan of the inconsistent look - if other bits in the car are leather last thing I want is the steering wheel sticking out like sore thumb - thx for the suggestion tho.

Not a fan of the inconsistent look - if other bits in the car are leather last thing I want is the steering wheel sticking out like sore thumb - thx for the suggestion tho.
no worries. I'm sure they could put some foam around it to thicken it.

Reactions: SaroshM
At last, Jack has very kindly managed to fit me in for a fitting over the weekend despite his back issues and I am very happy with the results! The drive back felt like a completely new car! Here are some quick snaps I took, will get a proper camera and get some better ones

ZL28jK_yAKLlG0Kko7etFNU_sQnLqtud6BbzmVr1qsPTiwC0tmHGTj5wASgFF18jjPML0v1LKDH5=w1647-h933-no

Yi2AIyvqhkeegV_SpL9X-5YzF6QW61Y0ZFOzxgW9mcwFmxM5cqHY0oybgW3VbpTijOU-BD-8x5AZ=w1647-h933-no

u18nLzBhnJWP0ymVVIpAU9d4qsv-wkJSWJuqpYjzM6BP7NzK9v5zNlCm369xFBn7p8iopa1rqud_=w1647-h933-no

Reactions: HHS3, raffhussain, nil538 and 1 other person
Defo makes me want one like that. How much was it if you don't mind me asking?

Defo makes me want one like that. How much was it if you don't mind me asking?
It was £155 for the wheel fitted and £25 for the gaiter retrim (its easy to remove/fit). I like 40min from Jack so just drove down there instead of messing around with postage.

Hello how much was this?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I wanted a much thicker wheel. Something as thick as a Mk4 Golf R32's. So instead went with Tomasz at tiggydesign.com who also flat-bottomed it, sculpted the sides, added the red-stitching and top stripe. Before and after picsRefurbed wheel fitted Original a3 wheel

He is a busy man, he will get back to you and it will be well worth it!

The detail in his work is superb, I've had many different wheels retrimed by Jack

Reactions: benevenden