Steering Wheel Noise/Oil Usage/Tyres

Rocksteve69

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have my A4 1.4 Saloon Manual BE in with the dealers due to a few issues. Its 8 months old and has 11k on the clock (90% motorway miles).

1. Passenger side front door postilion bar bolt keeps coming lose - Dealers fixed with new bolts as the threads had gone.

2. Steering wheel noise. The following link has a video of the noise which comes on randomly. The dealers are unable to replicate it and believe its not an issue, but I seem to have it happen twice a week, at low speeds and when parked up. I've never had car old or new ever make a noise like this. - Told to come back if it happens again.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MZzKjMHRSXx_a3i9N5BOgl_EVgcFcHPv

3. While it was in, it was reported my front tyres (Continental Sport Contact 6- 19") where less than 1.6mm and the rears where at 3mm. Thought this is a bit excessive, but was advised this is normal as its a high performance car??! (1.4), but I only do motorway miles and drive normal. - Front tyres been replaced asap.

4. Oil was less than 50% and required a top up. I only topped up a full litre of oil at around 9800 miles when the MMI reported (using the free oil supplied) it needed it and since then its used nearly a litre of oil under 2000 miles. Been advised that I was lucky to get to 9800 miles with having to top up. But I still a little concerned by this. - Oil been topped up by them.

Still loving the car though :)

Thanks all

1. Check-arm fixings obviously not to the correct Torque. Was it clicking when you opened the door?

2. Steering Column issue, Possibly steering fluid needed.

3. Check Psi, alignments.

4. Sounds okay.

For your info the power steering on the B9 is all electric and doesn't have a reservoir to top up.

For your info the power steering on the B9 is all electric and doesn't have a reservoir to top up.

Ah yes, previous B8 was the last to have the fluid it seems.

Reactions: cuke2u
Hi all - and again apologies for resurrecting an old tread (though maybe preferable to starting a new one).

I have exactly the same steering wheel noise as Rocksteve69 (essentially a 'rubber on rubber' squeak). Was any solution identified...?

Thanks all

Hi all,

2. Steering wheel noise. The following link has a video of the noise which comes on randomly. The dealers are unable to replicate it and believe its not an issue, but I seem to have it happen twice a week, at low speeds and when parked up. I've never had car old or new ever make a noise like this. - Told to come back if it happens again.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MZzKjMHRSXx_a3i9N5BOgl_EVgcFcHPv

Thanks all

Hi all - and again apologies for resurrecting an old tread (though maybe preferable to starting a new one).

I have exactly the same steering wheel noise as Rocksteve69 (essentially a 'rubber on rubber' squeak). Was any solution identified...?

Thanks all

Hi Nick_B,

Originally it went away after I changed my tires, but returned just there after in a few weeks. I then found out I made it disappear for a good few months by adjusting the the steering wheel via column controls. But it did come back again. So I just adjusted it again and it went away. Seems to be something up with the steering column rubbing against the leather cover but not had time to book into Audi.

Steve

Reactions: Nick_B
Thanks Steve - I will give that a go. It is not bothering me enough to book the car in - will probably ask them to look at it come first service.

Nick

And thanks Steve - your suggestion worked - noise has gone.

Cheers