Steering Wheel cleaning session

DJ_26

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I thought I would have a go at cleaning my steering wheel finally as it has annoyed me since the day I bought the car. To begin with it looked more glossy than the Piano black trims in my door cards/centre console.

So I used a couple of microfiber cloths, a ValetPro detailing brush and some ValetPro Leather Soap.

What I started with: Notice the dirty stitching on the left. I actually cleaned the stitching on the middle spoke.

20141213 145308

20141213 145341

20141213 145716

Quite a bit of dirt came off:

20141213 145907

Just showing a comparison between the cleaned section on the left and the unclean section on the right:
20141213 145959

Just worked my way up from the left side. Notice how the thumb grip on the right is very oily.

20141213 150929

A lot cleaner and matt-looking

20141213 151007

Compare the left spoke with the top rim:

20141213 151029

Thought I would try a rough 50:50 on the top rim. Looks better on the left-hand section:

20141213 151904

The greasy top-right:

20141213 151854

Gear knob before:

20141213 152814

Gear knob after (my phone makes it look a bit glossy still):

20141213 153210

Finished off the rest of it today, using a warm tea towel in a bid to try an open the pores a little. Just a reminder of the right thumb grip:

Before:

20141213 145341

After:

20141220 124335

Then gave a coat of Gliptone leather conditioner (adds a bit of sheen but nowhere as shiny as it used to be):

20141220 130720

Although it's not perfect ( I would like it look more matt and be softer), it is a big improvement nonetheless. I do feel that the leather has worn a little. The hot tea towel worked briefly but I think the water helped cool the leather surface down again quickly, so it wasn't as effective. Perhaps a slightly better technique would make more difference. I think I will try it again in warmer weather or perhaps use a steam cleaner, to try and keep the leather warmer and the pores open for longer, so that I can get more dirt out. Let me know what you guys think, the feedback is appreciated!

Reactions: Bandicoot51 and Pulp84
looking good ,makes a noticeable difference , :thumbs up:
its a job that I will be undertaking over the christmas break

Reactions: DJ_26
I bought some of the VP leather soap to try out, how do you rate it? I use a MF cloth soaked in water then 20 secs in the microwave(carefull not to scold yourself) I tend not to put any product on the wheels itself though.

Looks like you've done a great job there. From what I've read online and from watching Larry's videos from AMMONYC, the steam cleaner should work wonders.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys! It has made a big difference. The ValetPro leather soap is a decent product and smells good too. It foams up well, but I think the Gliptone leather cleaner foams up a tiny fraction better but doesn't smell as nice in my opinion. But judging by the dirt on the cloth the Valetpro soap did pretty well. When I get hold of a steam cleaner and have another look at the AMMONYC videos, I will report back with an update (funny that I didn't consult the AMMONYC videos right before doing this, I just went with what I remembered from watching it many months ago). Larry makes it look easy!

One thing that I did do differently was put the tea towel in the microwave for about 2 minutes. If 20 secs is sufficient, then maybe I used too much water.

Reactions: Pulp84
I did mine today i was shocked at the amount of dirt and grime that came off I use saddle soap that my step mum gave me she swares by it so I gave it a go she also gave me some saddle oil witch finished the job off nicely buffed it in to the steering wheel and makes it look brand new.

DJ_26 - excellent write up.

Your approach to cleaning the wheel is far different to what I have ever done. I took your tips / technique to clean my 2 year old steering wheel on my BMW company car. The leather had gone all shiny (BMW leather is not very hard wearing) and it does my head in!

Very happy with the results! The warm cloth method took a significant amount of grime off the wheel. Disgusting actually but well worth it. Thanks for the post! :)

DJ_26 - excellent write up.

Your approach to cleaning the wheel is far different to what I have ever done. I took your tips / technique to clean my 2 year old steering wheel on my BMW company car. The leather had gone all shiny (BMW leather is not very hard wearing) and it does my head in!

Very happy with the results! The warm cloth method took a significant amount of grime off the wheel. Disgusting actually but well worth it. Thanks for the post! :)

Cheers Pulp84, I'm glad you found it useful and that it worked well for you! The interior has a proper leather smell now and that's just from applying the Gliptone conditioner to the steering wheel.

Need to do mine shortly, going to try Gliptone first then may try this product.