Steering wheel clean (de-shine) ?

foursprungdwarf

Reaction score
Any body used the Flash Magic Eraser trick for cleaning a dirty/shiny steering wheel or gear knob?

I have heard it works wonders but worry about damaging the leather.

Hello, thought I would give it a go today, popped to the super market, it was on offer so I thought i'd purchase one ......

..... got home and applied to steering wheel, gear knob and slightly shiny section of my drivers seat.
Walked the dog, allowing to dry, checked on my return..... results are impressive, looks like its brand new !

It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts, but initial visual impressions are good

Go get one and get yours done !

Before :

After :

Sorry the before picture isn't great ..... i hadn't planned on needing a picture.

I think you can see the difference clearly.

Tom

Reactions: sidibear
Looks good.

Was that just by wetting the magic eraser and using it damp like a sponge?

Sorry to Hijack Foursprung BUT... Not Normal , what is that digital display thing by drivers vent? assuming not a temp gauge with that reading LOL ;)

Which 'magic eraser' did you use, there are a few to Flash ones to choose from?

Thanks for the replies so far, glad the idea was of some use and definitely something I will be doing this week.

Did mine today, looks and feels much better. Less smooth greasy feel to both although it has made a couple of the marks that were on the steering wheel a little more visible (look like fingernail marks) but I think these will blend back in when it's used.

A good result for £1.50

I was that eager to get it done I forgot to take pictures!

Reactions: NotNormal
Had a go at this and I must say its ****** brilliant.
Got the shine off in seconds, very quick and easy with excellent results.

Be careful for not scrubbing too hard. I got some spots where I broke the skin of the leather and it tuned much lighter color than in most places.
But I don't actually care, since I´ve got another steering wheel coming. This was only a specimen.

Be very carful when using a magic eraser on a leather steering wheel or seats as it may take off the protective top coating
Be very , very gentle

I did the newer steering wheel yesterday and that turned out very nice. I did not use as much pressure on this as I did on the previous one.
I will post pictures later when I have some day light to take them.

I did the newer steering wheel yesterday and that turned out very nice. I did not use as much pressure on this as I did on the previous one.
I will post pictures later when I have some day light to take them.

Not the best before picture, but the difference can be seen:

ratti.jpg

IMG_20150319_174902%255B1%255D.jpg

And no, the lower part of the wheel is not in such a bad shape. It is only the bad quality of my Nexus 5 camera.