Steering Wheel Airbags S-Line

Blurtar

Reaction score
I have a little issue regarding the steering wheel airbag. I have an early B7 (2005 plate) S-Line, it has a three spoke standard steering wheel on with no s-line badge or radio controls.

I have retrofitted cruise and DIS which has all gone fine. I managed to source an S-Line badged Wheel with radio controls on which looked identical to mine.

On fitting today I’ve found that my airbag doesn’t transfer to the new wheel, it looks too deep and slightly wider than the opening. Also the mounting screws on the wheel look differently angled.

Could anyone advise on which airbag I need. The seller of the wheel no longer has the airbag.

Thanks.

I believe that there's a difference between the audi a3 and a4 wheels even though they look similar. May be worth checking the part numbers?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Looks like it’s an A3 Wheel so A3 airbag required?
73134A9F 08A9 4D20 ABC7 A39ED244A430
9ED0F631 2A54 431E AB29 61F00E7B5F87

Last edited:
Yup. 8p is a a3 model designation.
Not the end of the world though.

Could do without the expense of another airbag so will probably punt it on also a wiring harness for the radio controls.

Is this a fact?
I have the 3spoked wheel without MF in mine, and got a mint conditon wheel with MF of the net, but it has the 8P partnumber, thought i would be fitting it this weekend.
I think i recall that they all have the 8P partnumber?

It’s a fact that my airbag does not fit the above wheel.

Had the same problem in mine, airbag did not fit. It didnt want to go all the way in.
But i was correct, my A4 SW was also an 8P part, so now its off to ebay to find another one.

I’ve managed to source an A3 bag for this wheel, just need a wiring harness now with radio function wires.

Sure..

Attachments

• B245F256-E49E-4F07-A78F-FFF97BF8FC92.jpeg
    B245F256-E49E-4F07-A78F-FFF97BF8FC92.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 138
  • B4FB81AC-ADBF-4821-877E-06FF1788EEC4.jpeg
    B4FB81AC-ADBF-4821-877E-06FF1788EEC4.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 97
Looking at that part on google the harness plug for the steering controls has six wires, my wheel only has three pins in the plug.

Thats correct, i found this partnr from a diy in volkswagen-audi club Norway, and it works there, so for my concern, dont care if there are too many cables as long as it works

Attachments

• 9502E634-431F-4D8D-9E71-F4E5A302AE0B.jpeg
    9502E634-431F-4D8D-9E71-F4E5A302AE0B.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 108
Great cheers, I await its arrival from Latvia! Only one I could find at a decent price.

Wish i could give you a confirmation first hand that it works, but i havent has the time too buy me another wheel that fits my airbag yet.
But when i compared the one that SiTs in my car and the one i posted i looks right too me.

Update on my install, everything fitted including the replacement harness. No buttons on the steering wheel are working.
I’ve altered both the coding for steering wheel and the radio and tested.
I feared this harness wouldn’t be right and think that is the problem.

How many pins do you have in your slip ring?

Found out i have to change this too, only have 6

My old harness has 6 wires from the airbag, and with the mf wheel theres another 3 wires.
My slip ring only has 6, so it will never work without changing slipring, steeringwheel coulmn i correct in my car too.

I give up with this one! I’ve fitted a slip ring with twelve pins and still no stereo controls!

Have you got the correct steering wheel control module?

I had massive problems with this myself. Went through 3 modules in the end.

The one i have the receipt for is

A8E0953549R

Ok, cheers for that. I’m sure I’d read loads of times the Q ending one did cruise and MFSW

I think i read that but it might only be for the b6 mfsw. Don't quote me.

I'm pretty sure mine had a S. Then fitted a Q one to support cruise control but couldn't get it to work.

Then ended up with R and when playing with vagcom discovered that the car had bluetooth and voice command.

It was a headache at the time. I wasn't going to bother but my control module failed ( brake pad warning light every time you pressed the horn) so when buying a new control module decided to fit cruise control. Then thinking that I had the right module bought a mfsw just to discover that it didn't work and that i had to buy another.

I sold thevone that didn't work to a b6 owner so that's what makes me thik there's a difference.

I’ve spent a load on this, I was only really wanting cruise but thought I’d go the full hog.

I think I’ll bail out and sell the wheel and airbag and put my standard wheel and bag back on.

I’ve only got the basic concert radio with no Bluetooth.

Cheers for your input.

4F0971589K
the part no ive been quoted for a mfsw wheel is 4fo971 589 a ive just treid to fit a mfsw to my sline. and it does not work, the connector i have also has 6 wires was taken from a non sline model but was a 4 spoke steering wheel and not a 3 spoke would this make any diffrence.