Steering wheel airbag squib creak

bigsmall

Reaction score
I took my A3 8V in to the dealership hoping to get some bits sorted under the used warranty. The main thing is a creaking noise when turning the steering wheel. Dealer has come back and said it's the airbag squib (I guess they mean the slip ring?) and that because it's not a 'mechanical failure', it isn't covered under the warranty.

They want to charge £430 for the repair - I'm wondering if anyone knows whether this could (or should) be covered under warranty? Otherwise, is this actually worth getting sorted or maybe taking it elsewhere?

You have a "used" warranty and that normally does not cover rattles, creaks etc. Check your warranty liabilities and yes the repair will be cheaper at an independent garage

Thanks for the info. I had a look through the warranty and there is a huge list of things that aren't covered. I actually just got off the phone with them and because I've only had the car a month, they've agreed to do it for free.

I took my A3 8V in to the dealership hoping to get some bits sorted under the used warranty. The main thing is a creaking noise when turning the steering wheel. Dealer has come back and said it's the airbag squib (I guess they mean the slip ring?) and that because it's not a 'mechanical failure', it isn't covered under the warranty.

They want to charge £430 for the repair - I'm wondering if anyone knows whether this could (or should) be covered under warranty? Otherwise, is this actually worth getting sorted or maybe taking it elsewhere?

I've got this too, faint noise whilst turning - I've just learnt to live with it though as have no warranty!

Good that they are sorting it for free for you though!

I've got this too, faint noise whilst turning - I've just learnt to live with it though as have no warranty!

Good that they are sorting it for free for you though!

Yeah I started to live with it too, until I took out the courtesy car and realised how much quieter it is without the noise!

It's a bit annoying that something like this should come up when it's only three years old. How old is yours? I wondered if it might be affected by using dynamic mode?

Yeah I started to live with it too, until I took out the courtesy car and realised how much quieter it is without the noise!

It's a bit annoying that something like this should come up when it's only three years old. How old is yours? I wondered if it might be affected by using dynamic mode?

I've got a 2013 sportback - hmmm not sure to be honest, not sure how its all connected inside - I know where you are coming from though with the steering being more weighted does it affect it more etc? I would guess not but who knows!