Steering wheel airbag delete resistor.

g60leigh

Reaction score
Has anyone here removed the standard steering wheel and used a resistor to remove the airbag light and error code?

If so, what resistor did you use please?

Or is anyone able to measure the resistance of an oem airbag for me??

Thanks.

I wouldn't try measuring the resistance of an airbag if I was you.There is a small chance it will deploy.
Airbag resistors seem to be anywhere between 2.2 ohm and 10 ohms. I would have thought something like a 4.7 ohm 0.5W resistor would do the job. Maplin stock these if there is one near you.
The Airbag fault light won't clear until the code is cleared with VAG-COM.

Karl.

Reactions: g60leigh
Thanks Karl.
As you day there is so many to choose from. When I have contacted the sellers of the fused versions of these on eBay. The stock reply is to measure the originals air bags resistance.

I haven't yet swapped over steering wheels so no fault light yet. But I have vcds to clear it if needed.

I'm wanting to get the resistor ahead of time so I can do the job in one hit.

Airbag Resistor Guide for VW MKIV R32
Resistors needed to defeat Airbag Warning Light when removing airbags for motorsport.
Not recommended if you are going to use your car on the street at all.
Steering Wheel Airbag resistor is 2 ohm .5 watt
Seat Airbag resistors needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt Passenger Airbag resistor needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt Curtain Airbag resistors needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt Seat Belt Tensioner resistor needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt
To defeat the airbag warning, use a 4.7 ohm 1/2 watt resistor for all airbags. Except the steering wheel where you use a 2 ohm . 5 watt.

This is from a PDF guide Ive had for a few years now. Worked everytime on my A3

Reactions: Jozua and g60leigh
2.2 should be fine. Im sure i got the correct ones from RS components, about 10 for 30p

Airbag Resistor Guide for VW MKIV R32
Resistors needed to defeat Airbag Warning Light when removing airbags for motorsport.
Not recommended if you are going to use your car on the street at all.
Steering Wheel Airbag resistor is 2 ohm .5 watt
Seat Airbag resistors needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt Passenger Airbag resistor needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt Curtain Airbag resistors needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt Seat Belt Tensioner resistor needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt
To defeat the airbag warning, use a 4.7 ohm 1/2 watt resistor for all airbags. Except the steering wheel where you use a 2 ohm . 5 watt.

This is from a PDF guide Ive had for a few years now. Worked everytime on my A3
Hey niallh, can I please have a copy of that pdf.
Thanks bro

@robin_bga PM me your email and ill send it across

Is there a guide on removing the steering wheel and fitting an aftermarket wheel and where the resistor goes
Cheers

Is there a guide on removing the steering wheel and fitting an aftermarket wheel and where the resistor goes
Cheers

Hi, old thread but maybe a silly question but isn't there 3 wires to an airbag and which ones do you put resistor too please? Also it won't have any effect on a multi function wheel will it? Cheers Jack

Can anyone confirm which wires to solder the resistor to? Any sort of guide or instructions on how to complete this?