Steering wheel - A4 S-Line

Syed Shah

Cars are a mans best friend, then dogs..
Reaction score
Hey guys..

Posting this after I have come across a ruin in my S-Line steering wheel.. so to say the least it takes the p**s. It comes after I just discovered a scratch along the back of my car.. looks like someone has hit the car and just gone.. meh.

Not been a good few days.. not sure how the steering wheel leather was messed with but the perforated bits leather has come apart in one area..

What are my options? How much does a new steering wheel cost or then reupholstry? As I do need the car so it becomes an issue if I am left without the car without a courtesy car..

Thanks.

Will attach pictures later..

Syed, that's very upsetting. Surely the S-Line Steering wheel is a warranty claim and potentially the scratch along the back of the car is a insurance claim. It's annoying that you don't get a courtesy car because of your age but perhaps you can rent a car during the period. Unless you have two cars you're going to face issues like that with potentially any new car. If you don't want to claim on insurance, maybe chipsaway or similar can help you on the scratch. Trust me, if you ever get that M3, you'll be facing similar issues with repairs.

Not much we can do about the courtesy car thing, but your first port of call would be the dealership. After that, if they're no help, then it would be a repair because a new steering wheel isn't cheap...

Reactions: Syed Shah
Not much we can do about the courtesy car thing, but your first port of call would be the dealership. After that, if they're no help, then it would be a repair because a new steering wheel isn't cheap...

I meant courtesy car as in if it has to go in for reupholstry, many places will require the car and no car in return unless I go to Audi which is a no no if they wont take it down the warranty route

Syed, that's very upsetting. Surely the S-Line Steering wheel is a warranty claim and potentially the scratch along the back of the car is a insurance claim. It's annoying that you don't get a courtesy car because of your age but perhaps you can rent a car during the period. Unless you have two cars you're going to face issues like that with potentially any new car. If you don't want to claim on insurance, maybe chipsaway or similar can help you on the scratch. Trust me, if you ever get that M3, you'll be facing similar issues with repairs.

Im not going to go through insurance for the scratch tbh. Ill end up getting it repaired myself in a month its not all that bad but more my OCD that cant stand it. As for the courtesy car, I should have been more clear. Any Marshall Audi group will give me a courtesy car, just not any other group to my knowledge. I will only go to Audi for the steering wheel if they accept it as a warranty claim otherwise I feel they will bend me over with their prices

This is annoying. How deep is the scratch, is it something that could polish out with the correct materials at home?

The steering wheel could actually be more difficult I guess, it either needs to be re-sewn or replaced. I too have OCD and what arrived perfect is no longer in that condition. I hope you get it sorted

This is annoying. How deep is the scratch, is it something that could polish out with the correct materials at home?

The steering wheel could actually be more difficult I guess, it either needs to be re-sewn or replaced. I too have OCD and what arrived perfect is no longer in that condition. I hope you get it sorted

The scratch can be sorted tbh. Im going to get it sorted in the next month or so. But the steering wheels leather has faded. That is the best way to describe it, so the leather in one bit has started peeling away and the top leather bit is now no longer there.. and being something you use everyday in a car, its really is annoying me

I doubt at £300 they'd be new. All the steering wheels are plug and play as long as they have the same buttons, otherwise, and if the donor car is different, some programming might be required...

I doubt at £300 they'd be new. All the steering wheels are plug and play as long as they have the same buttons, otherwise, and if the donor car is different, some programming might be required...

They defo aint new tbh. I have seen one for the S3 but not sure if it would fit the A4 i have.. it is for the facelifted s3

This happened to my steering wheel. It was replaced under warranty no problems at all

That is what my one looks like. What are the chances they will accept this as a warranty claim?

Attachments

• 20180210_212541.jpg
    20180210_212541.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 221
That is what my one looks like. What are the chances they will accept this as a warranty claim?

That looks like you’ve damaged it? To me it looks like something has scraped across the steering wheel...

If that’s the case then I’d me amazed if it’s changed under warranty.

Reactions: NoParticularPlaceToGo and Syed Shah
That looks like you’ve damaged it? To me it looks like something has scraped across the steering wheel...

If that’s the case then I’d me amazed if it’s changed under warranty.

That's the worst thing about it tbh. I got a feeling it happened when my car was at the audi garage for a checkup. Wasn't there before but a bit too late for me to try pin it on them.

Nothing sharp or anything that can cause such damage has been in my car and I have been the only driver of it since delivery apart from when the car was given to Audi for a day..

I very much doubt they would accept liability or then either replace it under warranty tbh I too would be amazed if either of the 2 happened

Mine had torn where the leather had been over stretched in the factory, so it was simple. Yours looks like damage so yeah, the only way you’ll get them to replace it is if you can prove they did it. You might be better off trying for a discounted service next time and getting a leather repairer to take a look. Go for replacement if you feel you can though.

Mine had torn where the leather had been over stretched in the factory, so it was simple. Yours looks like damage so yeah, the only way you’ll get them to replace it is if you can prove they did it. You might be better off trying for a discounted service next time and getting a leather repairer to take a look. Go for replacement if you feel you can though.

I can't tbh it has been roughly 2-3 weeks since so proving them in the wrong will be almost a ballache. I'm thinking about just replacing it as reupholstering is not a very cheap job either and will take the car away from me for a few days.. so meh

Yeah that’ll be tricky. I was more thinking somebody who can make the damage less obvious rather than re-upholster. It’s not worth really doing anything else unless you are keeping the car for a long time IMO.

I can't tbh it has been roughly 2-3 weeks since so proving them in the wrong will be almost a ballache. I'm thinking about just replacing it as reupholstering is not a very cheap job either and will take the car away from me for a few days.. so meh
Royal steering wheels will do you a steering wheel and if your lucky will do an exchange so your not stuck without a car. There prices are very reasonable too. Or wait till next time car is in at that dealers then bring it up when you collect that it looks like steering wheel has been damaged.

Yeah that’ll be tricky. I was more thinking somebody who can make the damage less obvious rather than re-upholster. It’s not worth really doing anything else unless you are keeping the car for a long time IMO.

It's a lease car so any damage to stuff like steering wheel isn't really acceptable. So it has to be sorted either way otherwise I wouldn't have cared too much

Royal steering wheels will do you a steering wheel and if your lucky will do an exchange so your not stuck without a car. There prices are very reasonable too. Or wait till next time car is in at that dealers then bring it up when you collect that it looks like steering wheel has been damaged.

I'm gonna check them out mate thanks a lot! As for pinning it on them your suggestion isn't that bad. I might have to sneak that attempt through

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
A new flat bottom wheel from Audi is around £750 - 800. Hope you can get it fixed ok.

Yeah man. I hope I can get something sorted without forking out that much on a steering wheel (sigh)

Royal will sort you out.

Hey guys..

Posting this after I have come across a ruin in my S-Line steering wheel.. so to say the least it takes the p**s. It comes after I just discovered a scratch along the back of my car.. looks like someone has hit the car and just gone.. meh.

Not been a good few days.. not sure how the steering wheel leather was messed with but the perforated bits leather has come apart in one area..

What are my options? How much does a new steering wheel cost or then reupholstry? As I do need the car so it becomes an issue if I am left without the car without a courtesy car..

Thanks.

Will attach pictures later..
Just found this company on the detailing forum http://www.leatherrepaircompany.com/what-we-repair/leather-steering-wheel-repair/ might be of use...