Steering rack

bouncer117

Reaction score
After some help, i have a big leak on my steering rack, is it possible to repair the seals or do i need to replace the whole thing? If i need to replace it are all b5 racks the same or are they engine specific. Its a 2.8 quattro, what are my options?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

theres a few variations but mostly they're interchangable if you swap the pipes over.

Reactions: bouncer117
Having a look on ebay and there seems to be 2 types, with or without damper. Any idea which 1 i should be looking at?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

If you get stuck I know a guy in Bristol, who reconditions steering racks and pumps and cannot recommend him highly enough, he's also very sensible on prices for the quality :)

No, his name is Shaun but I never remember his company name lol. He's in Brislington just off the A4

the earlier cars used the damper, later ones didnt. It doesnt actually matter, as again they're interchangable.

Personally i'd be trying to get a later facelift spec rack, ideally from an S4 or RS4 as they are slightly less assisted and feel better. Ofcourse you'll probably pay a premium for one of those. Any facelift rack should be fine though, and later cars fit too.

My track car is running a rack from a 2005 passat. It came out a B5 i was breaking, and i was going to just swap the pipes over onto the S4 rack in the car, but then i realised it was 2005 vs the 1997 rack in the car, so i just swapped the whole thing.

I'm not sure if B6/7 racks work.

Sorry I didn't get back to you about the tqs rack, I found an s4 rack going cheap. Although it didn't come with arms.
When I'm replacing the arms what bits do I need? Inner ends, outer ends and boots?
Looking at the drawings of the complete rack there is a 50x2 o ring on each side, do I also need these?

Actually, thining about it, i might actually have a TQS rack in the shed.
Sorry I didn't get back to you about the tqs rack, I found an s4 rack going cheap. Although it didn't come with arms.
When I'm replacing the arms what bits do I need? Inner ends, outer ends and boots?
Looking at the drawings of the complete rack there is a 50x2 o ring on each side, do I also need these?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Hi guys, I’m in the same boat here, my rack has a nice little leak. I have found one from a 2.8 tdi Quattro year 2000.
Mine is a 1.8 non turbo fwd year 2000, would the rack fit? I know there are posts here saying they are interchangeable but there are still two types? Which type would mine have?
I have a part number for the rack I have found it’s 0139420701 any help would be appreciated thanks.

Hi guys, I’m in the same boat here, my rack has a nice little leak. I have found one from a 2.8 tdi Quattro year 2000.
Mine is a 1.8 non turbo fwd year 2000, would the rack fit? I know there are posts here saying they are interchangeable but there are still two types? Which type would mine have?
I have a part number for the rack I have found it’s 0139420701 any help would be appreciated thanks.

There is no such thing as a 2.8 tdi....

Either way, the rack will be ok you will just have to swap a few of your old pipes onto it. Probably just the feed and return pipes

Sorry 2.5. Ok cool I’ll snap it up thanks for that VAG-Slag.

Reactions: VAG-Slag