Steering rack?

Cheeks

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice on this one here or more opinions!

I've had trouble with steering for a while now, the car pulls to the left and if you've seen other posts you'll know a lot has been changed/checked (control arm bushes, ARB bushes, drop links, track rods, ball joints)
After all of this it's been tracked and checked again garages reckon it's spot on?

My steering wheel sits at like "10 'o' Clock" to go straight, it feels like it's easier to turn left than it does right, best way to describe the way it drives is like my right wheel is bigger than the left if that makes sense?

Other things to note, it's going on coilovers and getting a polybushed steering rack mount next week.

Also I've noticed when stationary if you rock left to right there's a knock.
When stationary and the cars off steering lock kicks in pretty fast compared to normal (maybe because the steering wheel is off centre?

Does this sound more like a bad rack or a lazy garage adjusting tracking on one side or something?

Help.

My A3 used to be like this. I had the steering at 2 o'clock though. I bought all new parts and it was still the same after alignment. I went to the rear and changed the axle bushes and went for another alignment. This time they were able to straighten the steering. I was looking in the wrong place.
However if you think it's the rack I have a spare from a leon cupra that I will sell cheap.

Reactions: Cheeks
Mines got a trailing arm for rear, not sure there's adjustments that can be done, already had the rear bushes replaced, PM me with price for that rack mate, once it's had its alignment after coils I'll probs have to go with that

Will the Cupra rack fit the 1.6, is the only difference the amount or turns to full lock?

Tracking should have centred the steering wheel, if not, it has been tracked straight but all the adjustment is all to one side, you need to get it tracked correctly.

that's what I was thinking mate!
After the coilovers it's getting taken for a hunter alignment so hopefully they're not lazy!

I've had a very similar issue - tracking all good (apparently) but the wheel wasn't straight. Found that I had an issue with an inner tie rod so swapped both and got it re-tracked by someone reliable. Noticed that the car was pulling heavily to the left but couldn't establish why - thought the tracking (inc camber) and tie rods would have resolved this but it didn't.

Found eventually that the hub where the ball joint connects was warped and had play. Think this may have been from a previously loose track rod end.

Symptom - heavily pulling to left
What gave it away? - when I released the nut from the track rod end the TRE fell out of the hole - should normally be held in place by the taper
Solution - new hub needed

Not sure if you will find something similar but hope you do and hopefully this helps :)

I've had a very similar issue - tracking all good (apparently) but the wheel wasn't straight. Found that I had an issue with an inner tie rod so swapped both and got it re-tracked by someone reliable. Noticed that the car was pulling heavily to the left but couldn't establish why - thought the tracking (inc camber) and tie rods would have resolved this but it didn't.

Found eventually that the hub where the ball joint connects was warped and had play. Think this may have been from a previously loose track rod end.

Symptom - heavily pulling to left
What gave it away? - when I released the nut from the track rod end the TRE fell out of the hole - should normally be held in place by the taper
Solution - new hub needed

Not sure if you will find something similar but hope you do and hopefully this helps :)
I also had a feeling about this but just recently changed both tie rods and i can confirm it was a tw** to get them tre's to pop out haha

Will the Cupra rack fit the 1.6, is the only difference the amount or turns to full lock?
While the rack may fit, I know the PAS pump is of a different pressure rating on an A3 1.8t than it is on an S3. Might be worth checking on the 1.6, too