Steering Rack

RichA3Turbo

Reaction score
Anyone know if a TT steering rack will fit in my A3? I think it will...but want to be certain!

Hi Rich,

I'm pretty sure they are all the same across the golf / A3 / TT platform but some are different ratios (A3 / S3) and I assume the TT is the same as the S3 - not 100% though.

I'll have a check on etka and elsawin later if you like.

Ben.

im pretty sure the difference is just the ratio... Dont want to buy it and it be wrong though.

Rich

Just got a TT 225 Quattro rack off ebay from a 2004 model for £85 + postage...Bargain! Hopefully get it fitted soon and have nice tight steering once again! Might get ARB's done one time as the subframe is dropped.

Rich

£85!! you jammy bassa! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
TT will fit the S3 but not the A3's and vice versa.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they are all physically identical...Cmparing pictures, i cant see any reason that it wont fit.

Rich

physically they do look indentical, but the S3/TT part numbers are different. They have less turns lock to lock.

Physical dimensions and fittings are all that concern me...I want less turns...thats a good thing! My current rack is ******, and has a massive slack patch in the middle... means that the car can do what it wants when there is no tension on the steering...not nice!!

Rich

After jumping in directly in and out of my A3 and my friends S3 to compare steering a while back, I found the S3 much more positive and the heavier wheel made the car feel more planted.

So if the TT rack is less turn like the S3 item it will be an improvement.

[ QUOTE ]
After jumping in directly in and out of my A3 and my friends S3 to compare steering a while back, I found the S3 much more positive and the heavier wheel made the car feel more planted.

So if the TT rack is less turn like the S3 item it will be an improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what i am after!

Rich, if you check the part numbers on etka for the subframe on which the rack bolts to, and if both the S3and A3 are the same then your sorted!!

On the racks, there are 2 bolts on the drivers side which bolt it to the subframe, and then the other side has a bush around it, and a 'U' bracket which bolts to the subframe... There is no need for it to be different on the same platform. Im sure it will be fine.

Rich