Steering rack problem

mramage

Reaction score

Posting this on behalf of some folks I know who are looking for a little technical backup, if anyone can help.

They had a new steering rack fitting to their A4 and the mechanic had noted that it was "16 turns to the right and 24 to the left". Now that it is fitted (he supplied) the car is pulling left and the amount of steering lock left to right is different. Not surprising I guess.

Thing is, he's somehow trying to say that to fix it the steering wheel has to come off? This sounds like a load of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[censored].gif to me.

Seems like either it's the wrong rack or the rack wasn't adjusted correctly when fitted.

Can anyone back this up? Thanks.

I had my rack replaced with an Audi exchange unit and had problems initially with the steering having a mind of its own. If I was stationery and turned the wheel slightly it would continue turning on its own, very worrying.
If they've done the job properly there's no way the steering wheel should need adjustment, that is just a real bodgy way to fix their f*ck up. If the turns left & right are that different adjusting the steering wheel wouldn't help anyway, as you'd end up with the wheel straight but the wheels pointing left or right.
They don't want to take the rack out again as it's a real pig of a job.