Steering rack leak

Cheeks

Reaction score
So I went over a speedbump(more of a speed mountain) heard a massive bang under the car, and the steering rack boot has popped off and there's steering fluid around, checked the reservoir and it's pretty much empty.

So I've figured that it's ******** and I need to replace it asap as I use it for work.

I've heard some stuff about replacing/upgrading to a quick rack from at TT/S3 etc.

Car is a 1.6 sport 8L 3dr

Is there any precautions to doing this like extra parts needed etc?

Yeah that's what I was thinking, I actually made another thread about that, I found someone selling the front suspension setup (subframe, arms, hub, disks, pads, calipers and steering rack) from a 1.8t Quattro. Fairly cheap so I was thinking of getting that, don't think it's a quick rack though, any idea if the Quattro front subframe etc would fit?

Not to be dismissive but I was always told not to build a car you can buy!

I would just find a replacement part for the one thats broken and enjoy it as is for a while longer. The speed bump situation where I live these days is just getting out of hand.

Reactions: Cheeks
That makes sense mate! I was chucking ideas around to do an engine swap, just because I've got a solid shell and it's in dolphin grey which I haven't seen around much haha, it'll work out way cheaper to buy an S3 or 1.8t.

Got someone selling me a rack for £10 so all good!

That makes sense mate! I was chucking ideas around to do an engine swap, just because I've got a solid shell and it's in dolphin grey which I haven't seen around much haha, it'll work out way cheaper to buy an S3 or 1.8t.

Got someone selling me a rack for £10 so all good!

Ah sorted then! Thats a good deal.

I can understand you liking the colour, I had an S3 in Dolphin Grey, what a brilliant colour. If ever I get another S3 it will have to have to same.

They're so hard to find haha, I didn't realise that when I got mine!

0b9f4fbda6bc523b966fef3ccbafec35.jpg

This was my old one, miss it more and more everyday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cheeks
0b9f4fbda6bc523b966fef3ccbafec35.jpg

This was my old one, miss it more and more everyday!

That is clean!
Thinking of getting one when insurance isn't mega! Would you recommend? Was either that or a 2.7 biturbo S4

Ohh hard to say I guess! The S4 will definitely feel more special, however I thought the seats in the S3 were much more comfortable.

However, that V6 is very hard to get out of your head once you've been in one, my mate Joe has one and it just sounds amazing.

I don't really care for going fast anymore, I just like a good sound (hence V8 S5), the S3 was just so quiet even with my Milltek exhaust on it.

So my answer would be a C63 AMG haha.

Hahaha not keen on mercs! Dunno why, can't turn down an AMG though haha.

That's another one I looked at, S5 vs S4 vs S3?

Even tho I love my s3 I'd get the s4 my mate had a s4 about 10 years ago and it was brutal don't see many of them nowadays (their is only 1 for sale on auto trader )and the price is only going up but if your waiting for insurance to come down so it's affordable it will be along time before you get a s4 and the s3 will be cheaper to insure

Last edited: