Steering rack gone..

Jay4

Reaction score
Website
www.rosssummers.co.uk
Hey guys,

Last night the car emptied its power steering fluid out through the drivers track rod gator all over the road, so it's safe to assume i need a new rack. It's a 2.5 TDI quattro and i'm trying to find out whether the part number would be the same for other b6 a4's or not? Can i fit an avant steering rack for example? can i fit a non quattro rack? is there any difference?

Any help would me much appreciated.
Thanks

look on etka see if there is any other part numpers

I think they and all the same but I will check on etka when I get chance

I even think the passat one is the same

Do a search on ebay for cardif audi. I got a B7 rack from them for just over a £100. Brand new genuine audi. Also got 2 litres of genuine fluid too.
It's actually not a hard job either bud. I recently did mine.

Cheers guys, I've ordered a rack now so just trying to remove the old one. Has anyone done this on a v6 block? If so any pointers on removing the heat shield? I just can't get to the two screws at the top.

Yep I have bud.
The bolt on the passenger side. You can just bend the heat sheild out of the way enough.
Drivers side. There is a 8mm screw into the body. Which when you take it off, lets you pull the heat sheild out of the way enough to do the job.
To get the rack out of the car. Undo the top mount from the strut top. Drop it down abit and pull forwards. This will allow you to pull the rack out of the drivers side.