Steering noise

Audi Bairn

Staff member
Reaction score
I've noticed over the past week that at low speed, like when parking in a space, there a noise (knocking / clunking) when moving the steering from side to side. It's almost as if there's a bit play in the steering coloumn or rack.
Any ideas?

I've noticed over the past week that at low speed, like when parking in a space, there a noise (knocking / clunking) when moving the steering from side to side. It's almost as if there's a bit play in the steering coloumn or rack.
Any ideas?

I’ve heard 2 stories about this within the last week.... 3 including yours now, maybe Audi have had a bad batch of parts.....

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Oh dear............

Does it clunk at a standstill? Can you hear it inside the car with the windows up?
I suspect you have a steering rack issue like I did, call Audi Assist.. they recovered mine and they will put you in a courtesy car.

I get a sharp click sound when I move the steering and change from going forward to reverse or vice versa. Dealer unable to reproduce nor identify the cause and as usual, we cannot reproduce that noise at the dealers.

Oh dear............

Does it clunk at a standstill? Can you hear it inside the car with the windows up?
I suspect you have a steering rack issue like I did, call Audi Assist.. they recovered mine and they will put you in a courtesy car.

Yeah mate, at a standstill with windows shut, can hear it if you move the steering wheel left and right slightly.
I also tried it in different Drive Select modes, still does it.
You think it's serious enough to justify Audi Assist? Wonder if I just get it looked at at its first service which is looming.

I get a sharp click sound when I move the steering and change from going forward to reverse or vice versa. Dealer unable to reproduce nor identify the cause and as usual, we cannot reproduce that noise at the dealers.

It's not so much a click with mine, more of a clunk. It seems to be doing it any time I try it so hoping the dealer can see it first hand.

Yeah mate, at a standstill with windows shut, can hear it if you move the steering wheel left and right slightly.
I also tried it in different Drive Select modes, still does it.
You think it's serious enough to justify Audi Assist? Wonder if I just get it looked at at its first service which is looming.

Can you feel a resistance in the rack when it clunks? The clear clunk not a click led to a new steering rack on mine.

Yes I think it’s serious enough, Audi Assist certainly thought so because he said it could fail at any time. The benefit with Audi Assist is that you get a hire car from Europcar for the full period of the work, otherwise you will have to wait for a booking with Audi and it’s likley they won’t be able to supply a long term courtesy car from your service. It will be long term, my dealer has had my car for a total of 7 weeks. 3 weeks with the rack, 2 weeks with wheel bearing and another 2 weeks when they replaced the bolts in the steering rack which still didn’t fix it. My car was sold with the fault.

Any ideas?

Did u get anywhere with this AB??

Noticed a clicking on mine today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did u get anywhere with this AB??

Noticed a clicking on mine today!

It appears to have gone mate, for now.
Not heard it for a while.
Still to go for it's service so will ask them to check it while it's in anyway.

Reactions: BarryG79
It appears to have gone mate, for now.
Not heard it for a while.
Still to go for it's service so will ask them to check it while it's in anyway.

Dropped in to Stirling Audi on the way back to office, booked in for 23rd. Could of looked at it tomorrow but I need the car, then I’m away for a few days. Couldn’t spare anyone for 5mins to look at it there and then either
Hopefully it’s nothing major!
Just said if concerned Audi Assist was the best bet.

Clunking on turning the wheel could very well be the rack, it may also be worn drop links.

I had both on my 8P, the racks were absolutely gash and is becoming more common on the 8V as well.

At least you're in warranty and will be fixed FOC.

Reactions: BarryG79 and Audi Bairn
Had mine fixed by dealer. Tighten/replaced subframe bolts and steering front mount.

Mine has a light clicking when I move steering wheel from left to right. It will click a few times each way. Anything for me to worry about?

Mine has a light clicking when I move steering wheel from left to right. It will click a few times each way. Anything for me to worry about?

Yep worry, that’s the steering rack.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Timi8888
My A3 2.0TFSI S-Line has developed the same issue over the past few months.

The local dealership (not the one i bought it from) had it for a few days, replaced part of the power steering and handed it back. Throughout, they seemed totally uninterested in the problem.
The issue continued almost immediately. Just got the car back yesterday after another few days with them, still not fixed. Apparently, they now need parts and a response from 'Audi Technical' after sending videos and audio recordings. They'll need the car for 'at least five days'. I'm not too hopeful they will fix it, if it gets any worse I'll just call Audi Assist and let them deal with it.

For me, the sound is a clunk/creak when at slow speeds and turning the wheel. ie parking.

If anyone gets any further with their dealership any advice would be much appreciated!

My A3 2.0TFSI S-Line has developed the same issue over the past few months.

The local dealership (not the one i bought it from) had it for a few days, replaced part of the power steering and handed it back. Throughout, they seemed totally uninterested in the problem.
The issue continued almost immediately. Just got the car back yesterday after another few days with them, still not fixed. Apparently, they now need parts and a response from 'Audi Technical' after sending videos and audio recordings. They'll need the car for 'at least five days'. I'm not too hopeful they will fix it, if it gets any worse I'll just call Audi Assist and let them deal with it.

For me, the sound is a clunk/creak when at slow speeds and turning the wheel. ie parking.

If anyone gets any further with their dealership any advice would be much appreciated!

Sounds like a steering rack again!

Mine had a steering rack and after that another 3/4 attempts to fix the problem by replacing the stretch bolts which fasten the rack to the car. They never fixed it despite them telling me they considered it repaired and they wouldn’t take it any further, so the car was sold with clunking steering.

If they haven’t replaced your steering rack, I’d suggest that is where they will go next or where they NEED to go.

Dropped in to Stirling Audi on the way back to office, booked in for 23rd. Could of looked at it tomorrow but I need the car, then I’m away for a few days. Couldn’t spare anyone for 5mins to look at it there and then either
Hopefully it’s nothing major!
Just said if concerned Audi Assist was the best bet.

Dropped car at dealer this morning, drove with the tech a few hundred yards and I was able to replicate the fault. Service desk advised that there was a TPI which may be related and should rectify the fault. This involved greasing some bearing and something to do with micro movements of the steering wheel????

Anyway 4pm came and I was sent a link to a workshop video, which advised on tyre tread, that a couple of heat shields had been tightened and that steering and suspension was fully checked and all ok.

And that once he moved a bottle of eye drops out of the drivers door pocket the clicking noise stopped!!!!

Tech said that the sound was travelling along the door and on to dash to make it sound like it was coming from the steering.

That bottle had been in there for months, I was a bit dubious about the diagnosis but have not been able to replicate the fault since getting car back!

Talk about embarrassed......effing idiot!

Reactions: Audi Bairn and oli356
Dropped car at dealer this morning, drove with the tech a few hundred yards and I was able to replicate the fault. Service desk advised that there was a TPI which may be related and should rectify the fault. This involved greasing some bearing and something to do with micro movements of the steering wheel????

Anyway 4pm came and I was sent a link to a workshop video, which advised on tyre tread, that a couple of heat shields had been tightened and that steering and suspension was fully checked and all ok.

And that once he moved a bottle of eye drops out of the drivers door pocket the clicking noise stopped!!!!

Tech said that the sound was travelling along the door and on to dash to make it sound like it was coming from the steering.

That bottle had been in there for months, I was a bit dubious about the diagnosis but have not been able to replicate the fault since getting car back!

Talk about embarrassed......effing idiot!

Maybe ear drops needed Barry? :whistle2:

Did they charge you mate?

Maybe ear drops needed Barry? :whistle2:

Did they charge you mate?

Ear drops

No, maybe if the heat shields weren’t loose they might of?

But they maybe thought they were getting 2 tyres out of me though! The rears measured 2.5mm on the outside edge but 3.5mm & 4mm across the rest. Service guy said a few thousand miles left on them, but the girl on the phone was telling me they were required urgently lol. She even tried to convince me they were needed again when the guy was away getting the keys. Told her she won’t match the lease companies price “oh I’m sure we could do something” she said, what free!

Even listened when I said I didn’t want it washed, only hoovered

Don't know if it's connected, but I had a dodgy front suspension strut top bearing from new that creaked and groaned when I was driving. However, one of the things it also did was groan and clunk if I turned the wheel end to end at standstill. It would be worth getting somebody to do this whilst you listen under the bonnet - when it did this it was unmistakable where the noise was coming from. After having the bearing replaced under warranty it has been perfect for four years.

Ear drops

No, maybe if the heat shields weren’t loose they might of?

But they maybe thought they were getting 2 tyres out of me though! The rears measured 2.5mm on the outside edge but 3.5mm & 4mm across the rest. Service guy said a few thousand miles left on them, but the girl on the phone was telling me they were required urgently lol. She even tried to convince me they were needed again when the guy was away getting the keys. Told her she won’t match the lease companies price “oh I’m sure we could do something” she said, what free!

Even listened when I said I didn’t want it washed, only hoovered

I'm not on a lease but they always price match tyre prices for me at Stirling without any problem.
The receptionist is obviously on commission lol
I'm getting the wifes TT up on the trolley jack this weekend as I noticed the edges of her front tyres are looking iffy.......... it's only done 7k miles in 16 months!

Sorry to drag this one out of the archives.
I’ve noticed a noise when steering my 2017 fl S3 at low speeds. Kind of like a clunking sound. It makes the noise steering either left or right. It’s always done it from new but seems to have got worse the past week or so. I’m guessing it could be the cold weather not helping. Does this sound like the steering rack issue people have had?

I have this same problem too on my Audi S3 2017 hatchback 8V. Only happens when I put full lock on left or right whilst reversing at low speeds.

I wish I knew what it is or where to look to start replacing parts.

Sorry to drag this one out of the archives.
I’ve noticed a noise when steering my 2017 fl S3 at low speeds. Kind of like a clunking sound. It makes the noise steering either left or right. It’s always done it from new but seems to have got worse the past week or so. I’m guessing it could be the cold weather not helping. Does this sound like the steering rack issue people have had?

I have a 2015 S3 and it also clunks left or right from a cold start.The car is currently with Audi for the 6th time . Fingers crossed they can find a fault this time !

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk