Steering Noise on Roundabouts (S3 8V PFL)

Audi_IRL

Reaction score
Hi,

Been getting this tapping noise on roundabouts, especially coarse surface ones, the last few months and now the tapping noise is more pronounced and can be made by wiggling the steering wheel. At near full lock the steering makes a groaning noise when I slowly move it back to the centre - I'll attach a video of both the noises below.

Is this a botched rack or the top mounts or something else maybe? Only about 32k miles on the car!

Videos below:

Thanks for any guidance!

Last edited:
Do you get a groaning sound driving slowly over speedbumps as well? When one of my front strut top bearings was knackered, one of the symptoms was noise going from lock to lock on the steering when parked. It was really obvious when I listened under the bonnet and got someone to turn the wheel for me.

Do you get a groaning sound driving slowly over speedbumps as well? When one of my front strut top bearings was knackered, one of the symptoms was noise going from lock to lock on the steering when parked. It was really obvious when I listened under the bonnet and got someone to turn the wheel for me.
Can't say I do, it's going to the mechanic tomorrow, will update if I get anywhere with it. Fingers crossed!

I'd be surprised if the rack is the cause of the noise in the second video...could well be more like the top mounts as you say.

Turns out the issue was play in the input shaft of the steering rack (independently verified) - rack replaced = solved.

Reactions: Leevr