Steering Judder

Drystone

Reaction score
I'm getting a juddering through my steering which feels like the front wheels are out of balance so I had them balanced but it's still not cured /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

It is only noticeable when accelerating hard and seems to kick in at 70 mph+ ( I mainly notice it when pulling onto a motorway from the sliproad and accelerating hard through the gears from 3rd to 5th), if you get to say 80 and then take your foot off the gas the juddering stops then when you plant it again the juddering starts. When cruising at a steady motorway speed the steering feels fine.

Any ideas? I'm suspecting maybe a (very slightly) bent driveshaft or some other suspension part but I haven't run up any kerbs or anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

Christian

I've had this on various cars. Could be any of the following!:

Wheels not balanced
Tracking
Bent wheel/suspension or something

I've had all of them - if it is something that's bent chances are it will be juddering all the time I think (I stand to be corrected though!)

If it's balance, you tend to "drive through" the juddering. Try getting it balanced again - it sometimes takes the tyre places multiple goes to get it done properly.

I've always found Hi-Q pretty good.

Thanks Jo, I'm still thinking that it MUST be the balancing. Some of the young guys who work at these tyre places don't seem to know their **** from their elbow, I think I'll have the wheels checked again then if it's no better it's back to the dealer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I've only just got my car back from them. They had it for six weeks replacing a fecking coilpack.

Cheers,

Christian

Christian,

Sounds odd mate. I would have said 1) check all your wheel bolts are on tight and 2) get wheels balanced, but you've done that. Hmmm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sounds like one for the dealer.

AL

Yeah - mine went to Hi-Q in Feltham. I was with the guy while he balanced it on the machine - he was explaining how it worked.

He figured out that my wheel was bent (when the dealer couldn't figure that out !!) which was causing a problem.

Car had also been in for alloy repairs, and the muppets hadn't put the weights back on !!!!