steering issue

linford-quattro

Reaction score
Ive had this since I got the car a couple of month ago. However its now getting very annoying and if im not paying attention it can be unsafe.

whenever I go over bumps , potholes, dips in the road etc anything un even. the steering wheel kind of pulls (turns itself) to a side. If you drive with just one hand on the wheel at the top going over a few bumps youre hand will be moving side to side.

any thoughts or experience ?

Getting an alignment was the first thing i did wth it being the easiest and cheapest lol. Had all four re balanced aswell

If you steer quickly left and right aggressively does it drag or feel limited?

If you steer quickly left and right aggressively does it drag or feel limited?

Nope i think it feels normal..... Going round a roundabout nice and slow yesterday, hit a few bumps whilst turning it felt like it was going to spin out

Did they check your tracking arms when you had your alignment done ? They can become seized/defective over time and seriously effect how the car handles

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Dont know if this helps to any suggestions of what people think it may be but... sat at some lights today while stationary I moved the wheel quickly to the left and right and turning more to the left theres a clunking sort of sound

Anti roll bar mounts or you have snapped the last half tun off one of your coil springs..

Yep, Audi coil springs do crack easily, just changed my rears, no grinding clunking or any untoward signs, only the read of the car looked a little low for a year.

Lads, please forgive my ignorance....but. Surely a broken spring or top mount wouldnt case the steering wheel vibration (at all speeds) and the random pulling over uneven surfaces. It feels very floaty too if that makes sense.

If you drive steady you may not notice it (apart from the slight wheel vibrations) but theres this country lane i tend to cut through every day, always quiet and i always open it up through that road. Its a two hand on the wheel job with random pulling and swaying down there. If you shut youre eyes youd think you was in a boat at sea

I finally got her booked in and the only thing they could find was the control arm bushes was buggerd on both sides. Had a look and the rubber is pretty much torn away. Booked in for next sat so see how it goes

I finally got her booked in and the only thing they could find was the control arm bushes was buggerd on both sides. Had a look and the rubber is pretty much torn away. Booked in for next sat so see how it goes

If it’s the front suspension arm bushes that have gone , then they are both replaceable .
The larger one is fairly simple to replace but the smaller one is a right pain to get in as it needs to be pressed in with a hydraulic press and even then it isn’t easy , been there and wouldn’t do it again!
It’s much easier to simply replace the whole suspension arm, although they aren’t cheap in the UK for an OEM one, this is the one for my car and would cost £86 from Euro Car Parts even with “discount”.
Much cheaper from the likes of Autodoc in Germany as shown here, but you have a much longer delivery time!

9C41555A 96F8 4C6D BF1E 9715E33BC4AE

Don’t forget you need new bolts to hold the arms in as they are stretch ones.

Well finally sorted this morning. Both front control arms replaced and its like a different car. Solid. Cheers for any input.