Steering feel C7 vs C8

Covfefe

Reaction score
Hi,

Hello from a new member.

Have some questions... obviously :)

I have heard in one review that the steering in C8 A6 is adapted from a Golf GTI. Does anyone have experience with both C7 and C8 and can weigh on what the difference is like ? The steering is pretty dead on the C7 but feels better after switching to All-weather tyres.

Also, what's the verdict on a the Quattro with S-Tronic. Is it something worth considering ? Will that make a substantial difference to the handling/feedback OR will the car decide to keep the Quattro disengaged most of the times ?

And lastly, does it make sense to option Tour Pack without City Assist ?

Thanks,
--C

What I have noticed between the C7 and C8 is the effect of Drive Select on the steering. On the C7, putting it into Dynamic mode would firm up the steering nicely. On the C8 it doesn't seem to make any difference.

hi Dave,

That's interesting. In the C7 in dynamic mode I feel resistance i.e. it takes more effort to move the steering wheel itself. Doesn't seem like it affects steering ratio. The only noticeable difference I notice is the "progressiveness" between stationary and moving car.

If the C8 steering is from a GTI, it would likely have a greater degree of progressiveness I would assume ? The way I can imagine it to behave (in Dynamic) is that the engine is staying in peak torque range and steering getting more responsive... it would feel "caffeinated" I guess ?

Anyways, will be doing a test drive to avoid guessing on what's what.

Cheers,
--C

Definitely in C7 in dynamic mode the wheel feels more firm but it changes in C8 as well but maybe less, or at least this is what I noticed in the last few days I owned the C8

To feel the full range of steering firmness change on the C8: temporarily adjust your Drive Select settings for the profile Individual to comfort on the steering setting. Then drive and switch between D and S mode and feel the difference - the steering is far too soft in Comfort in my opinion I usually drive on Balanced in D mode and frequently switch to S for country lanes and corners etc.

Never drove a C7 so can’t comment on comparison.