steering angle sensor

dubber dude

Reaction score
ive just replaced the steering rack on my 1.8t quattro, soon as i finished the esp light come on, i had it put on vagom and the fault code was the steering angle sensor !! it was suggested the steering wheel maybe on 360 degrees out :unsure:, so i disconnected the steering uj turned the wheel 360 degrees :wacko:. then the air bag light came on :huh:, so i had it put back on vagcom and got the following !!! could someone please translate for me and tell me how to rectify please !

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1C0-907-37x-ESP-A.lbl
Part No: 1C0 907 379 F
Component: ESP ALLRAD MK60 0104
Coding: 0023046
Shop #: WSC 01236 785 00200

4 Faults Found:
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
014 - Defective - Intermittent
003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent
008 - Implausible Signal
005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: Redir Fail!
Part No: 8L0 820 043 H
Component: A3 KLIMAAUTOMAT 0105
Coding: 00041
Shop #: WSC 01236

No fault code found.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 15: Airbags Labels: 8L0-959-655-AI8.lbl
Part No: 8L0 959 655 J
Component: Airbag Front+Seite 5008
Coding: 01104
Shop #: WSC 01236

1 Fault Found:
00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95)
32-00 - Resistance too High

sounds like youve broken it by turning it the sameway too many times!
did you look at the actual values thu the esp/abs for the steering angle to make sure which way it was out..... ie; plus or miuns the 360 degrees?

i didnt no !!! i just presumed i could turn it 360 degs and poss recify it !!!...if im honest it just seemed like a simple job thats the only reason i took it on !!

its the link/round connector that sits between the steering wheel and steering column,its the connections between the airbag as well as being a sensor for the steering ahead position,once its been overturned its scrap,new im afraid,they are pinned from new to not allow any movement until installed,then the pin is removed.

If any steering work is carried out that will allow the steering column to turn free you should have clamped the wheel down or just put the steering lock on,if you dont know about it then you will never know mate.

Changing the clockspring is a DIY job but you need to buy a new one or smart fitting a used one. The sensor can only be turned so many times in each direction but it does record when it's been turned more than 360 degrees.
You need to remove the steeringwheel (marking on the splines with pen allows you to put it back on at the correct angle) then just pull the old one out.
Fitting a new one is just a case of putting the wheels straight and refitting it.
If your using a second hand one, put it in place then check abs measuring blocks for steering angle. it should be close to 0. if its 360 out just slowely turn the pin on the clock spring whilst checking the angle when its around 0,refit steering wheel and airbag.

My last clockspring cost around £35 but thats around 5 years ago. £5 from ebay.

to add to that you can reset the "0" deg in vagcom...you will probably need to after the new one is installed

cheers for the advice and feedback on this guys, i got a price from audi today £182.00 + vat !!! totally gutted !!! my own fault for not getting the advice first !!!

there's an inspection window in the top right hand corner of the clock spring to set it in the central position when fitting a second hand one new ones come locked in the centre with a clip

i broke the first second hand one i got as well because i didn't centralise it correctly ,still needed vagcom to reset

£182 +vat is better than the price i was quoted mine was £200 +vat with discount

Rob