Steam cleaners

AlS3BE

Reaction score
Just thought I would ask the question here. Are there any detrimental effects of using a steam cleaner on the body of a car?
I was using my steam cleaner on my oven and it did a number on the grease and baked on stuff in there. Was thinking using on the car instead of some of the harsh chemicals like tar removers and other stuff I use. It’s a bit more environmentally friendly etc.

I'm no expert but my dad is a plant fitter and they always used Steam cleaners to clean both the engine and body work since they got so caked in oil. I know they likely don't care as much about the paint work of a truck but I doubt they would use something if they were aware it would ruin the paint.

Reactions: AlS3BE
i've used one to shift dirt in my engine bay, especially useful in the areas it's hard to get a cloth into

don't think i'd feel the need to use it on bodywork though

Reactions: AlS3BE
I think it depends on what you’re trying to achieve with the steaming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it depends on what you’re trying to achieve with the steaming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random tar spots on wheels and body is the main goal. Ran out of a lot of cleaners/chemicals so thinking out the box.

Shouldn't do any harm to paint. I once saw some supercars on the gumball rally being detailed one night in a hotel car park, and they were using a steamer to do all the nooks and crannies, and given the value of the cars I don't think they'd risk it if it wasn't ok.

There are some awesome tar removal product on the market though. TarX from carpro and Tardis from Autosmart with melts tar, tree sap and bugs like nothing. Worth having in the detailing arsenal I'd say.

normally use Tarx or trix which is double action with iron fallout remover. Just ran out.
those chemicals stink as well so thought use something like steam. It’s a small steam cleaner not a industrial thing so should be ok. Will give it a go on the winter wheels as somehow they are caked in tar and other crap.

Can't comment on steam cleaners sorry.
But last summer I had to drive up a freshly tarmacked road and my wheels were well and truly caked.
Good old WD40 worked to dissolve all of that because I couldn't get any dedicated tar remover.
Think I paid £5 for a massive trade can from screwfix.

Can't comment on steam cleaners sorry.
But last summer I had to drive up a freshly tarmacked road and my wheels were well and truly caked.
Good old WD40 worked to dissolve all of that because I couldn't get any dedicated tar remover.
Think I paid £5 for a massive trade can from screwfix.

Pretty much what happened to me end of last year and still finding bits of tar on wheels.
I must be doing something wrong. I could never get wd40 to work. Things like tar x and trix start dissolving as soon as it touches the body wd40 after even 10 minutes didn’t make an impact.