Stealth Sub Build

MickM

Reaction score
Have seen some of the sub builds to replace the standard crap in the A3.

Has anyone got any specs of the box - dimensions etc handy?

Thanks

Talk to Andymac he's the man on this subject, second to none & he can supply wicked subs.

PS. Dont mention Bose to him, lol

Sweet, ill drop him a PM cheers.

Keep hearing people go on about how good BOSE are but really not a fan of any of thier stuff to be honest.

Nah Bose are good tbh, I had there 301 series direct reflecting speakers years back & they were excellent fella, I also had there small radio/cd unit & sound from that was very good aswell, the Bose car setup is plenty good enough for me but then again if you're an audio engineer as such then you'll pick up any defects huh, as Andy does it day in/out, he is as this, but to Joe Bloggs it wouldnt be noticeable tbh, but I dont 2nd guess his comments on subject cause I might be fairly electrical wiring savvy I'm certainly nowhere near car audio as he is without kissing ****

I think a lot comes down to personal preference really, for instance i only use Rainbow components and Becker or Pioneer HU's.

Also the same with Home cinema, that or im just too picky!

A said I'm not a big fan of Bose full stop. Their kit is usually OK sounding, but never anywhere approaching audiophile standard. It is more about innovation and space saving than quality sounds. i.e. their wave radio has amazing sound for a clock radio, but then who wants to spend £300 on a clock radio. Similarly their Acoustimass system provides OK sound in a very small package, same goes for their 801/802 PA speakers. If you want unobtrusive kit and aren't too worried about good SQ then it's perfect, if a little pricey.
However, that said, the system in the 8L A3 is particularly poor, probably more to do with Audi penny pinching than Bose. Bose probably did the best they could with the budget Audi gave them.
If you are interested in my stealth sub then let me know. It consists of a custom 18mm MDF enclosure, which replaces the tupperware box. This houses a JL Audio 6.5" 6W3v3-4 sub and is drivn by an Alpine V12 T500 amp mounted behind the rear speaker panel. I also provide an adapter to hook up to the Bose sub loom if you are running the stock HU. If you have an aftermarket HU then you don't need this, as you can run proper RCA's off the sub pre-out on the HU.
NewSub3Collage.jpg

Would you be able to supply just the dimensions etc?

Personal preference mostly as i don't want to use JL sub or Alpine Amp, using a Crystal Comp / RE sub and a different amp.

Or perhaps could you supply a prebuilt box without the equipment?

Happy to supply just the enclosure, but neither Crystal or RE do a small enough sub for it. Although you can squeeze an 8" sub in the enclosure (it will stick out either side and look ridiculous as the enclosure is only 8" wide overall) the enclosure is way too small to take advantage of the bigger driver. Far better to use a smaller sub designed for the volume of the small enclosure.
The only other cheaper sub I've used other than the awesome JL unit is the Elemental Designs unit:
http://www.edaudio.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=28

i can testify that andymac's 8L sub is fantastic work and sounds great - he did all the driver research and it works so why not just get one

Ok kool, could you PM prices for just the enclosure and also the enclosure + Sub.

Thanks

i made one for the 8p - i put it in the wheel well and dumped the spacesaver wheel - then i dont have to remove anything from the car to do the install (or uninstall to sell on the car)

i managed to get a 25l reflex box and space for a genesis 5 channel amp and alpine sound processor in the wheel space with a 9" sub (octagonal box with a step in the height 1/2 way across is easy to build and makes most of the available volume internal to the box) - you could use a 15-20L sealed box easily which would also suit many sub parameters, though you do need a narrow-ish sub due to the limited depth available

i get flat down to about 30hz with optimal damping by using a qb3 alignment and it goes louder than i ever want - some of that is the fantastic sound processor equalization which means that the computer does all the frequency response setup, phase testing, time alignment, crossover curves etc with a laptop in 15 minutes.

using the alpine processor you could keep the bose for the front and rear speakers and use a single amp for the sub and still get all the benefits of the sound processor, or use a 5 channel amp and use better quality aftermarket speakers for front and rear doors.

I need this box for my 2011 A3. This looks great Andy. inbox me so i can place an order. thanks Cross Bronx