Facelift Stay Audi or go to Merc/BMW?

Spinstorm

Reaction score
I have a fantastic 2018 RS3 Saloon which I love but I have one left on my PCP this week and it is coming time to think about a change.

I have a YouTube channel called Tech in the Car that I started 8 months ago with a somewhat shaky video on the infotainment system on the RS3. Now I have over 1300 subscribers and 200,000 views and Audi PR have very kindly invited me to a driving event when the lockdown relaxes.

And because of this I have had the pleasure to drive some cool cars over lockdown - the new M5 Competition LCI (which was still in transport mode when they gave me the keys lol), the Giulia Quadrifoglio and loads other cars! (I am actually somewhat amazed I even had the opportunity to drive as many cars as I have had during all these lockdowns).

I LOVED the M5 Competition. I really felt BMW have taken a step up past Audi in terms of infotainment.

The M5 is way too much but I have been looking at the new M3. I think right now I am not going to be able to afford a change but eventually I will have to make one as my PCP will be up!

I have been looking at the M3, the A45/CLA45S and the Alfa QV.

The Mercedes I am reticent about because they don’t seem to be doing new factory orders anymore. I assume they are going to update them - not sure if its a facelift - or just a break to a new MY.

Also I really don’t want to downgrade my engine! Even if the Merc is faster now.

The BMW I love the tech and details on the new M3 - but it is looking like a £5000 deposit (which is honestly too much for me right now) would still cost me over £800 a month! I want to pay no more that £600 max.

The QV is amazing to drive but the tech is just outdated and it doesn’t even have LED headlights! If you weren’t a tech snob like me then it would be an easy choice as they are sitting around the same price as I paid for my RS3 in the late £50-60K and would be in my budget potentially.

Of course the last option is the NEW RS3 - but it is not clear yet when it will be available - I know expectation is by end of this year - and time wise and budget that might be the best fit.

I have done 52,000 miles on my RS3 - probably won’t do more than another 3k this year. I have £29k left on finance and the valuation on autotrader is about £28k-£31k.

Any thoughts?

*Also visit my channel!*

I am no car expert, but I am liking the new BMW as well.
Have you thought about the M2 Comp if the M3 is a bit too much ?

He is not going to like the M2 competition if tech is important to him, its a brilliant car to drive and looks fantastic exterior wise. But the interior is dated and it's running BMWs previous generation tech, pretty much what put me off buying one a few months ago.

If it's looking dated now, how bad will it look 3 or 4 years from now.

Reactions: pburv
Ok the tech may age but a late pre-WLTP RS3 saloon will hold its value very well. I know this isn’t your goal but with reasonable spec, it’s a keeper for someone.

Yes your right the M2 is old tech and I want the latest.

My hope is that indeed my RS3 holds it value and I might be able to get a larger deposit on a new car thanks to that.

But realistically I need a £16k deposit to get an M3 down below £600 a month (based on today's offers and a contribution of £6k from BMW)
and I think at best I might if everything went amazing and I PX my car right at the end of the PCP get £5k for it (this assumes my finance has £21k FV and the car is worth £26k).

Even then I don't have an extra £5k currently... although I would like to think by this time next year I would!

Yes your right the M2 is old tech and I want the latest.

My hope is that indeed my RS3 holds it value and I might be able to get a larger deposit on a new car thanks to that.

But realistically I need a £16k deposit to get an M3 down below £600 a month (based on today's offers and a contribution of £6k from BMW)
and I think at best I might if everything went amazing and I PX my car right at the end of the PCP get £5k for it (this assumes my finance has £21k FV and the car is worth £26k).

Even then I don't have an extra £5k currently... although I would like to think by this time next year I would!
Don’t think £6k contribution is no where near enough for an M3. They don’t shift loads of them and if you shop around you would get a bigger discount IMO.

M340i might be a more cost effective compromise?
£599 deposit £599 pm advertised price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bristle Hound, pburv and Jcbmally
BMW don’t usually start offering great deals on their models until they have been in production for over 6 months, based on the reaction to the new M3 and M4 it will be really interesting to see just how many BMW can sell.

Negative reactions aside, they are both very expensive cars so would never sell in large volumes anyway.

Reactions: pburv and Jcbmally

That’s probably a bog standard spec one, add some options and the price rises pretty quickly. These package approaches to options very easily add 4, 5 or even 6k to the price.

Reactions: BarryG79 and pburv
Reactions: Bristle Hound and pburv

Very good review on Carwow.

Reactions: pburv and BarryG79
Unless I was missing something, they were all the same spec but different prices.

66a12e738ea602d90b6b4c234201336a.jpg

7534b65dfe3034ec7abd36e042f429cf.jpg

Second one has extra packs over base spec, can’t comment on the others though that are dearer, that’s a question for Peter Vardy BMW lol

Reactions: Chris4410
Still £650 a month seems a lot of money for a fast 3 series.

Reactions: S32B, Bristle Hound and BarryG79
Just received an email from my BMW dealership to advise they will have a demo M3 in on March 13th, hopefully they will be open by this stage. I would like to get a look at one in the metal

Reactions: NevMan and Jcbmally
I hope I can take one for a good drive for a few hours and make a video for my youtube channel - tech in the car - as well.

I just had an email from Audi finance today saying they are offering extra contributions to a new car if I P/X this one.

£600-£4900 EXCLUDING new A3 models, R8 and RS models... LOL how unhelpful to restrict it when I want an RS3.

I’ve never seen Audi offer contributions on RS cars.

In fact, in terms of discounts, contributions and apr rates Audi have always been the worst of the 3 German brands.