"Statler's A5 Sportback Anticipation and Build thread

Well I had another member of A5oc unlock a few things so the ones I wanted to do were:

- dreaded after wipe, off.
- central locking beep, on.
- CD ripping, on.
- ADS on through the MMI, as I don't have it fitted.
- DRL brightness upto 100 ( 9 is factory setting).

Reactions: GlynRS2
Central locking beep sounds interesting.. Am investigating the hill hold button upgrade since I now love it (was on the Q3). May need a help out with the programming!!

Anyway, as they say on Top Gear....
We're back!!!!
A5 is finally sorted on the PP and more importantly... safely home

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408798643724762

Very happy.

Reactions: Gaz170 and AdamZA
Car is looking awesome Steve, but, your missing an audi-sport.net sticker on it. :) x

So. Having had the rings on the doors of my 80 Sport I had a play with with Illustrator today and came up with this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408995562337955

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408995580104202

It's just mockup for now. Interested in your thoughts.

I think if it was a little more feint and slightly larger starting from the other side of the door line so an inch from the arch it would look abit better.

Nice idea though.

I personally wouldn't bud, it's a very classy car so I would keep it as oem as possible :)

Reactions: Double V
Not my style, and not Audi style IMO.
Which reminds me of this old Audi advert ... who remembers this?

I'm quite taken with it, but thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a go as the vinyl guy is a mate - no harm in getting them made up properly, I can always take them off again.

More importantly, what 1/4" bit do I need for the 034 mount? Is it a three square, hex or a torx?

Finally got to drive the A5 into Belfast for the first time in traffic. I really like the logarithmic throttle, slow start off but the more you push, the better the response. It makes it really easy to drive in heavy traffic.

I loved the hill hold on the Q3 and have looked into retro fitting it. It's a faff but do-able. There is areally good writeup on AudiEnthusiasts.com
Will probably cost a lot more than the £65 option tho. Next time...

So, first gripe... and I think it's a big one.
As you know I have the manual gearbox with electromechanical parking brake.

The other night leaving the dealer parking lot I started the car but needed to get my phone out of my pocket. I had the clutch down and in first gear, so I pulled out of first and lifted my foot off the clutch, next thing the park brake disengages and the car rolls backward on the slight incline.... fortunately it rolled against a low kerb and stopped.
I have managed to replicate this and it is stupid, stupid, stupid....
If ever there was doubt in my mind that I should have Hill Hold, it's gone!

Very strange mate I've never had any issues with my electric handbrake. What are they going to do?

So, first gripe... and I think it's a big one.
As you know I have the manual gearbox with electromechanical parking brake.

The other night leaving the dealer parking lot I started the car but needed to get my phone out of my pocket. I had the clutch down and in first gear, so I pulled out of first and lifted my foot off the clutch, next thing the park brake disengages and the car rolls backward on the slight incline.... fortunately it rolled against a low kerb and stopped.
I have managed to replicate this and it is stupid, stupid, stupid....
If ever there was doubt in my mind that I should have Hill Hold, it's gone!

If I've read that right, you are saying that before lifting off the clutch you went to neutral? If so that's definitely not expected behaviour, certainly doesn't do it in the Wifes manual Q5. Only thing I can think of is you are starting to lift the clutch as you pull it out of gear and so it starts to disengage.

I didn't quite understand either, are you saying the car jumps out of gear when you lift the clutch off?

From what I gather it sounds like you do have hill hold assist, that's exactly what mine does, if I'm in 1st gear then lift off the clutch the handbrake disengaged and I drive away. I know you may not have spec'd out but sounds like you have it. Turn the stereo off and do the same you can hear the servo work.

From what I gather it sounds like you do have hill hold assist, that's exactly what mine does, if I'm in 1st gear then lift off the clutch the handbrake disengaged and I drive away. I know you may not have spec'd out but sounds like you have it. Turn the stereo off and do the same you can hear the servo work.

That's the standard way for the electronic brake to work, HHA will, for example, automatically apply the brakes when you get to a junction. Most useful (I understand) with an auto as it stops you from creeping forward when you take you foot of the brake. I think that's how it works anyway.

Shrek, yes that's exactly the way the Q3 worked.

There is no HHA on the A5, disengage the parking brake and it rolls when out of gear.
I was playing around with it on the way home and now think I'm the numpty. It is entirely possible that I lifted the clutch pedal slightly before pulling it out of first gear whilst shifting in the seat to get at my pocket. This will disengage the park brake, so I guess it's down to good old 'User Error'...
Lesson learned, thankfully without incident. :oops:

Reactions: Brennan and Shrek5
Yesterday I decided to have a look at installing the 034 transmission mount.

Got the correct bit courteousy of Draper and crawled in to see if I needed to lift her up whereupon I found that Audi have kindly extended the engine under tray as you can see below. So, not done!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410196549009959

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410196571927982

They're sneaky little buggers, it's as if they can see into the future and know what mods you want to do.....

Well I had another member of A5oc unlock a few things so the ones I wanted to do were:

- dreaded after wipe, off.

I meant to ask... why is it the 'dreaded after wipe'? I assume you are referring to when you spray your windscreen and a moment or two later it wipes again? If so, for me, I've always found it needed otherwise some of the excess just dribbles back down the screen. Did you have a problem with it?

Reactions: Brennan
I meant to ask... why is it the 'dreaded after wipe'? I assume you are referring to when you spray your windscreen and a moment or two later it wipes again? If so, for me, I've always found it needed otherwise some of the excess just dribbles back down the screen. Did you have a problem with it?
No problem, it's just always one wipe too many and always causes a smudge after cleaning, now I'm smudge free..... (and still a little OCD obviously).

Reactions: Shrek5
So, I jumped under the passenger side last night and I can see the two bolts I need to undo. The tray is held on with a batch of T20 screws so it's a ramp job. Unfortunately the ramps I have will take the front bumper off as the angle of attack is too steep.

Fortunately my eldest has chosen to re-design the car ramp for his AS level Design and Technology study this year, so maybe by next June I'll be able to fit this...

Anyhoo, to cheer myself up I ordered these yesterday

http://www.horizonleds.co.uk/cree-l...s/h8-cree-led/h8-30w-cree-led-fog-light-bulbs

S

Been a while since the last post.
The A5 now has 2k on the clock and is settling in. Fuel economy is still quite poor at just under 36mpg but I'm starting to see the range increase from time to time so it must be loosening up. Smaller tank than the e92 means I'm filling up roughly every 10-12 day instead of just over 14.

Further to reading Spudguns delivery thread I've noticed that the leather on my pass seat base really doesn't fit properly where it meets the backrest on the outside edge. I must raise that with the dealer.

My steering wheel isn't straight in the straight ahead position, that needs addressed and I think the gas lift strut on the bootlid driver side is faulty. The door twists and gives more to that side when closing, also, you could easily lose your hand when it drops. It makes a helluva bang and if you're inside with the other doors closed, your ears pop... :))

Apart from that, the quattro is incredible, wet leafy roads are a breeze, no sign of any slip despite the conditions. The B&O is immense (I'm not an audiophile..) and the SatNav is as accurate as I could hope for.

Still have to get the 034 fitted and some LEDs for the fog lamps. Time off over half term should see these done.

Reactions: Shrek5
Can't believe all these late changes on the 64 plate cars (extended under tray covers / new style wheels / new engine covers.....). Car looking good chap, sorry to hear you've got some bridges to cross to get the mods on. Starting to feel I got off lightly! Hope you're enjoying it.

Am enjoying it thx, good to hear from you!

Another small issue has cropped up this week, have noticed a buzz in one of the speakers, the dash mounted pass side. Thought is was some of my crap in the pass door pocket but upon clearing it out, the Eagles (I know, but hey I'm just a year off Saga, indulge me!) have confirmed it to be a buzzy speaker...

Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order after half term

Are you sure it's not the hearing aid playing up.......... :laugh::tumble:

Note to self: Must remember sons are ice hockey mentalists, quit with the jokes. ;) :p

Reactions: warren_S5
One other little thing of note and new to me, the base cruise control brakes the car when going downhill. Scared the b'jaysus out of me the other morning but now I know why I nearly lost my front teeth, I rather like it!

Really must read the manual.... ;-)

Reactions: warren_S5
Didn't manage much over half term. Did get the LED fog lamps fitted. Much better looking now. There are loads of threads on fitting these. I just went in via the arch liner. 10 minute job.
The 034 is going to be a challenge as my trolley jack has given up. Will try when I swap to my winter wheels ( please don't start the debate again!!) it'll also give me a chance to paint the calipers and put the Quattro decals on them.

Long time since the last update and as chance would have it, Christmas turned into a non-starter for mods or proper cleaning :-(

Just turned 4000 miles and I'm really enjoying the car. The toys are excellent, especially like having the iPod in the glovebox.
I have found a rudimentary hill hold trick, if I push the brake pedal hard when facing uphill, the brakes will hold for long enough to allow me to grab a gear and take off without rolling back. Not sure if this is a deliberate function of the braking system or another issue....

I had the car in Belfast Audi yesterday to have the steering wheel straightened, which they sort of did. Unfortunately the car now feels very unstable at speed and tends to veer to the verge when the wheel is let go. Previously it ran straight and true. So it's going to have to go back in again.
They did put a new gas strut on the tailgate so it is balanced and less likely to cut your hand off as it closes....
I asked about turning on the beep on locking as I've messed up and left the car unlocked a couple of times. (Buttons are reversed from BMW on the fob and I hit the wrong one occasionally) but they tell me Audi's have 'quiet' locking systems... So every man and his dog with a VCDS system can turn this on but they can't?? Great!

Looks like the winter wheels may be needed this weekend, horrible forecast for Northern Ireland.. enjoy the snow if you get it!