Static noise from Central speaker (Audi Premium Audio system)

Starflex

Reaction score
Hi there,

Did a bit of research, but either I haven't been lucky or I haven't looked up properly.

I have an Audi A3 - 8V with the Audio premium system (the one that, AFAIK, comes with the MMI ststem). Therefore, sub & central speaker.

From the central speaker, every time I switch on the car, I have crackling noises, intermittent "ssssshhhhh" background for a few minutes, then it disappears.

Has anyone else experienced something similar ?

Thanks!

All three audio systems operate through th MMI.
I don't have any noise, but I have the standard audio system.

Thanks for the feedback, Richard.
Noise comes only fro the central speaker, don't know why...

You have a fault.
Mmmh... okay, I will have to bring the car to the dealer.

Just wondering: I have the led interior lighting kit (aftermarket, the Ziza interior lighting kit). Would it be better to take it out to avoid any claim like "you ruined the audio system with your modificaiton, blah blah" ?

@Starflex I have the same problem with my Audi A3 2013 model. Static crackling sound from sub the and central speaker. I too kit to the dealer and they haven't been able to diagnose it. They replaced the speaker and updated some software. I think the control unit or something needs to be replaced because obviously the channel to the central speaker is screwed.

Did you get your issue fixed by audi? and if so what did they change?

Hi Ivan,

yes, got it sorted. Took quite a bit of time. They tried with SW update, then something else... and finally replaced the unit.

Don't quite remember now exactly which part they replaced: I may have at home service sheet, will heck and let you know if I find it! Probably it was the ful MMI udit, but I have to check.

Cheers,
P

@Starflex thanks for getting back. Its taken abit of time here as well. Please let me know the part(s) they changed that fixed it. Driving me nuts this issue.

No problem @IvanT . Just checked the job description: "removed and replaced radio control unit". There is no spare part number unfortunately, as the job was under warranty. But it definitely solved the problem. Remember that in my case the noise was absolutely random. Maybe all good for a few days, and then again. More frequent on cold days.

Hope it helps!

@Starflex thanks a lot! Ill get that part changed. I think its just the whole MMI unit in the glovebox. Thanks again.

That's the part!

I remember talking with the dealer, and he clearly mentioned that yes, they replaced that part (and I checked if they put back the SD card that was into the old one).