Startup radio volume control

Doug Piranha

Reaction score
Hi folks

Is there any way to control how the radio behaves when the car is turned on? I've noticed that every time I start the car, the radio comes on (quite loudly) even if it was turned off before the car was last stopped.

I looked through all the MMI options but couldn't see anything. Ideally, it would do what it was last doing when the car was turned off. Or alternatively set it to come on at a lower volume.

Does anyone else even have this issue?

Thanks

DP

Ideally, it would do what it was last doing when the car was turned off. Or alternatively set it to come on at a lower volume.

I am sure mine turns on to the volume it was at before I switched off the ignition .... will test it out later

It does within limits. If you had it very loud or very quiet before you turned the ignition off, it resets the volume back to a normal level.

I'm 99% sure mine starts with the volume where I turned the car off.

When I start my car in the morning I can swear that I wasn't listening to the music that loud before! Probably because I'm not fully aware yet

Reactions: cemerson
Hi folks

Is there any way to control how the radio behaves when the car is turned on? I've noticed that every time I start the car, the radio comes on (quite loudly) even if it was turned off before the car was last stopped.

I looked through all the MMI options but couldn't see anything. Ideally, it would do what it was last doing when the car was turned off. Or alternatively set it to come on at a lower volume.

Does anyone else even have this issue?

Thanks

DP

I just turn it off before i kill the engine so that it is off when i start.

This is one thing I've looked for, can't find, and miss! My old 2002 Octavia had an option to set the max volume the radio would power on at. Really useful if I'd ended up turning it up really loud one journey, but didn't want a shock early the next morning... It's a shame that with all the options on the A3, one I used to have isn't there!

However, I think mine does come on at the volume I had when I last used it. I hardly ever mute it, so can't comment on that, but at the volumes I use I think it comes back where I've left it.

my 06 S3 with RNS-E does this, turn on ign and the volume is pretty loud. does my head in.

But that's the problem I am having - even when I do this, the radio starts automatically next time!

Hold down the power / volume / track wheel until the AMI screen goes down and the central display says "entertainment off." The system then won't come back on next time you start the car.

Yeh, but then you can't use nav, phone etc either

So it looks like, in order for the radio not to come on automatically when you start the car, you have to turn off the MMI ?
seriously ?

Yeh, it's stupid. Can't believe they didn't think of that and at least make it a setting you can change.

But that's the problem I am having - even when I do this, the radio starts automatically next time!

That is so weird, as all the test cars I've taken for a spin, each time the radio volume is down, and if I want to test the sound system, I've always used the switch on the steering wheel to put up the volume.

That is so weird, as all the test cars I've taken for a spin, each time the radio volume is down, and if I want to test the sound system, I've always used the switch on the steering wheel to put up the volume.
i am sure i saw a pre set for volume levels somewhere in the mmi menu.

This is random. Mine plays last track from where I left off at the volume I was last at unless it was really loud or quiet.

lots of conversation but no solutions. shouldn't this forum have someone with knowledge of the problem?

lots of conversation but no solutions. shouldn't this forum have someone with knowledge of the problem?
Bcos there isn't solution .. if u leave it lout it will stay laud which means 3 or above.. if u leave it on 1 it will go back to 3.
I already was asking this few months back if can be set in VCDS to 1 as default .. no it cannot be